Joey Hishon: What's the deal?

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I wonder if all these minor injuries come from not really having played for two years and getting back into the grind.

It would be nice if he stayed healthy for a long period of time.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Are there any reports what has trouble him these last two weeks or is it Shane Doan's mystery illness?

In the article it says hip flexor. Also sheds light on the fact that it was a neck injury that had him sidelined for so long not the concussion. We've heard this before but they go into detail. He'll be fine in the long run.:nod:

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I wonder if all these minor injuries come from not really having played for two years and getting back into the grind.

It would be nice if he stayed healthy for a long period of time.

I tend to think this is this issue right now for Hishon. I mean he took 22 months off basically of not playing. Now that he is playing again these little pulls and strains and stuff are bound to come up.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Lower body injury. He tried to come back from it about a week or so ago and then been out since. So don't think it's serious but then again who knows, they don't release any semblance of info.

He's talented no doubt and was on a pretty good roll in the fall but it just feels like there isn't much interest there from the organization and he can't stay on the ice.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Lower body injury. He tried to come back from it about a week or so ago and then been out since. So don't think it's serious but then again who knows, they don't release any semblance of info.

He's talented no doubt and was on a pretty good roll in the fall but it just feels like there isn't much interest there from the organization and he can't stay on the ice.

I can't say that I blame them. The situation around Hishon just sucks. IMO he needs to go to Europe for a couple years and try to revitalize his career.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I can't say that I blame them. The situation around Hishon just sucks. IMO he needs to go to Europe for a couple years and try to revitalize his career.

They lose nothing if they offer him a contract and just let him play in the AHL. Not ready to give up on him.

BTW looking good Henchy.

Oh and this thread came up... that means he'll play on the weekend.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

Might be time for the young man to go to college and figure out what he's going to do from here on out.

Crisp Breakout

Jan 3, 2011
Chicago
As far as NHL potential goes, I tend to view Hishon as that last bet in roulette where you just say what hell and put it all on the inside.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
They lose nothing if they offer him a contract and just let him play in the AHL. Not ready to give up on him.

BTW looking good Henchy.

Oh and this thread came up... that means he'll play on the weekend.

It is a two way street... Who says Hishon wants anything to do with an AHL deal with this organization?

They lose a contract spot (not a big deal at all IMO), risk having a disgruntled player in the minors, and risk hurting the organizations reputation (by not helping a young prospect out when there is an issue). None of these really may be issues, but the remain possibilities. IMO it isn't worth having a disgruntled prospect in the system that may not even pan out. In a different situation, Roy said this year if things didn't work out with Malone on the roster, they would find a way to make it work for him by next year. Now he is going to be a UFA, but the sentiment remains... Take care of your players. If the Avs see no future for Hishon, they should cut ties.

Yeah, yeah... 2018 is going to be glorious for the US. :D

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
How serious is the injury?

I believe it's a lower body injury, probably another groin injury. I think all that time off, and not being able to train like he'd like to really threw everything out of whack for him.

I still don't see a downside to giving him a 1-2 year two way deal this summer. I do see a pretty big potential downside to letting him walk though. The kid has NHL talent and smarts for sure, he just needs to stay healthy.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
It is a two way street... Who says Hishon wants anything to do with an AHL deal with this organization?

They lose a contract spot (not a big deal at all IMO), risk having a disgruntled player in the minors, and risk hurting the organizations reputation (by not helping a young prospect out when there is an issue). None of these really may be issues, but the remain possibilities. IMO it isn't worth having a disgruntled prospect in the system that may not even pan out. In a different situation, Roy said this year if things didn't work out with Malone on the roster, they would find a way to make it work for him by next year. Now he is going to be a UFA, but the sentiment remains... Take care of your players. If the Avs see no future for Hishon, they should cut ties.

Yeah, yeah... 2018 is going to be glorious for the US. :D

If Hishon wants a new start I don't blame him but playing in Europe isn't anymore safer, injuries happen wherever you play. If he just wants a different organization(not sure why) then again good luck to him.

I don't see why he would be disgruntled they stayed by his side this long and the only disagreements were minor ones he had with Lake Erie if everything goes right for him he won't be there long next year and if not then move on.

Yeah maybe... in curling.:P

I believe it's a lower body injury, probably another groin injury. I think all that time off, and not being able to train like he'd like to really threw everything out of whack for him.

I still don't see a downside to giving him a 1-2 year two way deal this summer. I do see a pretty big potential downside to letting him walk though. The kid has NHL talent and smarts for sure, he just needs to stay healthy.

Agreed

and agreed again.

Zih

Dater's Gonna Hate
Dec 19, 2008
Colorado
If he's willing to sign a 1 year deal that pays him something like $80k in the AHL, I don't see a reason for the Avs to turn him away, unless we are up against the contract limit. Sure there's a low chance that he ever turns into something, but it's also a low amount of risk. It's not like, say, Mueller who was due $2.5M and a roster spot.

Last edited:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
No, his AHL salary is 67,500. The 300k is performance bonuses tied to his NHL contract.

I totally get the logic behind the "what's the risk, give him a few more years" and on paper I'd be inclined to agree. However, it does not seem like the situation is working for either party and it seems to be heading to a split. If they don't sign Hishon they could give another kid a try. There is some opportunity cost there.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
No, his AHL salary is 67,500. The 300k is performance bonuses tied to his NHL contract.

I totally get the logic behind the "what's the risk, give him a few more years" and on paper I'd be inclined to agree. However, it does not seem like the situation is working for either party and it seems to be heading to a split. If they don't sign Hishon they could give another kid a try. There is some opportunity cost there.

Like who? Daniel Maggio? ;)

Lake Erie is currently filled with 'long-shot' prospects who aren't likely to even get a sniff at the NHL. The only guy who I really believe in and have always believed in is Troy Bourke and even he'll need to bulk up to play in the pros next year. Apart from that, maybe Blandisi adds some punch to Lake Erie next year but we don't have very much in the way of blue-chippers coming down the pipe. One more year for Hishon (I wouldn't go 2) to see what he's got and you cut ties after that if he can't shake the injury bug. He wouldn't be 'replacing' anyone of note anyways, unless we acquire a whole bunch of solid prospects between now and then.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Like who?

Marcus Power :yo:

IMO this is more about doing the right thing than holding on to hope that he pans. If the Avs don't see a future for him in the organization, as in a real NHL shot with the team, then they need to cut ties and let him find his own path. If they feel he can contribute to the Avs in the future then they should keep him. It is just that all signs point to that not being the case.

D2M... I'd be thrilled with a curling gold. 2nd best sport in the Winter Olympics.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad