Joey Hishon: What's the deal?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Hey guys,

I remember when Colorado drafted Hishon, I was pretty stoked about the pick. Thought it was a really astute move, despite what some scouts thought.

What's the deal with Hishon? I know he took that brutal elbow in Major Junior, but it looks as though he still hasn't even played a game at any level this year.

What are Avs fans honest opinions on Hishon? Has he missed too much time to realize the promise he once had? Can he still be a top-6 guy?

Thanks.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
We simply don't know where he's with his conditioning right now. He's down in Cleveland with the Monsters, but he isn't playing. I still have hope for the kid, but it's fading away.

Last edited by a moderator:

avs1dacup

Jan 25, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site
At this point, I don't think anyone expects him to play this season. If he's not able to make it back next season, I think it's safe to say he's done. The kid's missed almost two full years of hockey and STILL isn't cleared to play.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I really think that he would play top 6 with the Avs right now and look pretty solid if not for McNabb.

The hit has ruined this kid. He is not coming back unfortunately. I hope he can lead a normal life away from hockey.

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
I wish we could find out how he's doing and what he's doing in Lake Erie. If he was very far off from playing again what is he doing there? I thought he was skating or started skating in January, heard than back then but since its just been crickets...hope he heals up and can play soon and in a few years for the Avs.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Wasn't this the exact title of the Hishon thread like this about a year ago?

Sounds like a Seinfeld bit.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
He's gonna play even if he's not fully recovered. No way does he miss out on a possible NHL contract due to a concussion.

If he does and if Siemens doesn't pan out then some scouts (and the GM) need to be fired.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
He's gonna play even if he's not fully recovered. No way does he miss out on a possible NHL contract due to a concussion.

If he does and if Siemens doesn't pan out then some scouts (and the GM) need to be fired.

Yes it's Rick Pracey's fault McNabb decided to go headhunting. Joey Hishon was a fantastic pick at 17th overall and he proved that the next season by leading the Attack to an OHL crown and an apperance in the Memorial cup.

As for Siemens, that pick looks better and better with each passing day.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

What?? How is it the Scouting Staffs fault or the GM's fault that Hishon was destroyed by a dirty hit and cant play again?

And one draft pick not panning out from the mid 1st round isn't worth firing our scouting staff over either(Siemens is looking good in the WHL anyway, should at very worse be a bottom pairing enforecer type).

Our scouting staff has done very well for us. Duchene, Landy, ROR, Barrie, Elliott are all Praceys draft picks. And I would think our scouts had some very important inputs on the Varly, McGinn/Sgarbossa, and Downie trades.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Hated the pick then, hate the pick now. Etem would look nice in our top 6 at this point in time.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I read just the other day on twitter, that he has been skating in Lake Erie but has yet to participate in a full contact practice. So basically exactly what we heard in January.

Honestly I'll be shocked if he never plays a game for Lake Erie, maybe not this year but next year. The real is question is how good will it be, 2 years of no hockey can't be good.

I'll be more shocked if he ever plays a game in the NHL, missing all of that development, surely put him way behind the 8 ball. Not sure having talent will help at all, whenever you are out of something that long you lose more than you think, its not just like riding a bicycle.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Yeah, Etem has been awesome for the Ducks this season :sarcasm:

Yeah I got to agree with you on this one. I'm not big on Etem. He a very one dimensional player. Now if we are talking players I wish we would have drafted over Hishon in that draft I'd look at Bjugstad, and Bennett.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Hated the pick then, hate the pick now. Etem would look nice in our top 6 at this point in time.

If Hishon hadn't have been injured he would have looked great too. I really think he would put up numbers similar to Marchand. He was a better pick in my mind and it's too bad he never got a chance to prove it.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
FYI for the OP, when some of the posters above say he won't play that is basically their opinion and they also have absolutely no info on the situation.

When I think about the situation I think he will play. I don't know if its going to be this season or next, but the real question we should ask ourselves, is if he will be effective?! If he doesn't play this or next season I doubt he will play again. All because of one effin hit McNabb didn't really need to make.

I would take a healthy Hushon over 95% of the players drafted after him.

IndustryLeech

Jan 23, 2013
Fort Collins, CO
Don't read Youtube comments for videos on the hit if you want to maintain any faith in humanity. I guess that probably goes for comments on just about any Youtube video.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
He'll never be an nhler but it isn't his fault. Sucks.

If what Chet said is true(hopefully it is) and he has still been skating, then I would say it is still very much possible he plays in the NHL.

It does suck though. He was looking like a hell of a pick before the concussion. If he can ever fully recover and get back to playing at the level he was playing at, I think he could still be a very effective Top 6 guy for us in the future.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Jori re-tweeted this a couple of days ago(so I guess it is reliable)

Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman
#Avs Joey Hishon has been skating in practice but with no contact. The COL 1st rounder from 2010 has not played since spring 2011.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Jori re-tweeted this a couple of days ago(so I guess it is reliable)

Not a fan of Pronman at all. I mean he does watch prospects and all that, but has a very weird view on them and hockey that I disagree with. He is just posting the obvious and nothing new.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Hishon had some special hands, great wheels and natural creativity, but after so long away from the game, who knows how much of that will come back, and whether he'll ever have that drive to go into the dirty areas to make something happen again.

Zandar

Jan 20, 2007
While Hishon is skating, he is still recovering from the issues that have plagued him. The Avs are being very patient and allowing him to fully recover before anything too strenuous or physical. It's a waiting game and Avs are in no rush. No details on specific issues were not given so until Hishon talks publicly no one knows what may be still plaguing him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad