Waived: Joey Anderson (Update: cleared)

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Low risk, low reward chance taken at a time when the team needed cap space.

It's a transaction!

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Not the worst depth player. He can draw into a lineup for a handful of games and not hurt you, but I think the Leafs can do better. Holmberg and McMann actually look like they can make an impact, so hopefully one of them get called up

Reactions: HockeyVirus

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I think he will most likely pass through waivers as every teams have someone like Anderson.

Reactions: Ciao

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
this isn't the first time he's been waived and i doubt he gets claimed unless some bottom feeder needs a warm body to play out the season after they've sold off a few players

He'll get claimed.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
He deserved a better shot higher up in the lineup, especially since he played about as well as you could on a line with a guy like ZAR... Not much for a complimentary forward to compliment there.

Obviously I hope he clears and plays another 8 games so he is not Group 6 eligible.

Oscar Peterson

Jun 27, 2015
He’s pretty good at using his stick but his skating is far below NHL average, if he’s claimed it’s a blow to the Marlies but otherwise inconsequential. Not expecting him to be claimed though.

Acciari has a similar profile but is just all-around better.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Never understood how these guys get so close to a big league job and just vanilla themselves back to the minors. Seems like the difference between an AHLer and a guy who makes it like Acciari is just the willingness to go at that 110% work rate all the time and just be relentless.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
I was pumped when the leafs got him, thought he would do quite well in a bottom 6 role, oh well on to the next

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Joey Anderson not doing too badly, but his career is toast. Only 24 y.o. -- 25 in June -- and he's made around $2-million playing hockey, minus agents fees, taxes and escrow. Maybe that gobbles up almost half, but he should still have some change left over.

He's on the last year of a three-year one-way deal earning a guaranteed $800,000 this season.

His Q.O. is $840,000, and I really don't see him getting qualified whether he clears waivers or not. It's not the size of the contract, but the use of a contract slot.

His career is going nowhere. He hasn't established himself in the NHL, despite some opportunities to do so. I think at best he gets a league-minimum two-way contract, and at worst sees the writing on the wall and moves on to the next part of his career whether that's in Europe or outside hockey.

He's probably too young and too fresh off his time with the Leafs to give up on the dream yet, so he'll probably kick around as close to the big show as he can for the next few years, but in reality I don't think his future is in the NHL . . .

. . . unless he should somehow get the message and cranks it up about two or three gears, or more, like Bobby McMann has probably done, and others like Fred Gauthier, Peter Holland and Adam Brooks failed to do.

Last edited:

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Never understood how these guys get so close to a big league job and just vanilla themselves back to the minors. Seems like the difference between an AHLer and a guy who makes it like Acciari is just the willingness to go at that 110% work rate all the time and just be relentless.
Zach Hyman is probably no more talented than most of these guys, and could have been another Joey Anderson too if he ever thought the World owed him a living.

If you aren't Mario Lemieux, then no matter your level of talent you need to work your motor hard enough to go with it. No motor, no success.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
it's a fine line between kicking around as a 4th liner and being a career minor leaguer and unfortunately for these type of players there's not room for all of them . sometimes it just comes down to a coach liking you and giving you a prolonged opportunity to establish yourself

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
Whether Anderson clears or is claimed, it will give the Leafs another $750,000 in cap space, which they will need to sign Knies. Even with Muzzin on LTIR for the rest of this year, they would only have had about $500,000 cap space left once Murray comes off LTIR and Woll goes back to the Marlies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Whether Anderson clears or is claimed, it will give the Leafs another $750,000 in cap space, which they will need to sign Knies. Even with Muzzin on LTIR for the rest of this year, they would only have had about $500,000 cap space left once Murray comes off LTIR and Woll goes back to the Marlies.

I believe the Leafs still have the option of waiving Benn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad