Waived: Joey Anderson (Update: cleared)

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I have to ask ...

If Anderson would make a good bottom 6er on a bottom feeder team, then why in the world was he playing for the Leafs?

You can see the quandary here as it reflects on the Leafs. :wg:
Because bottom feeders are in a position to give young tweeners more ice time and see how they respond/provide a little bit of depth as they tank so that their real prospects don't get bashed against the rocks.

A top competing team doesn't really have time for that kind of depth. They need someone to step in and be as immediately effective as possible.

A bottom 6 is built completely differently on a bottom feeder compared to a contender, by design

Last edited:

Once

Jul 16, 2010
I was high on JA when we acquired him. Captain of team USA junior team, right handed guy, intelligent, and said to play with some grit/feistiness.

I haven’t seen the latter whatsoever as a Leaf otherwise I’d rather play Holmberg or McMann.

Reactions: ktownhockey

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
The funny part is he’s been clearing waivers for years .

He has the highest rel xgf for the Leafs this year and that is while playing mostly a defensive role.

Not claiming he is a great player, but he is young enough that I'd think a team may take a chance, he is still a decent prospect.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
The funny part is he’s been clearing waivers for years .
To be fair, this is the first time he's been put on midseason waivers, and at a time when lots of teams have injuries, underperforming players, pieces lost from trades and/or are gearing up to sell off

The only other times he's been on waivers have been season opening waivers, on like the last possible days, when 99% of the guys clear as teams are finalizing their opening roster

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
He has the highest rel xgf for the Leafs this year and that is while playing mostly a defensive role.

Not claiming he is a great player, but he is young enough that I'd think a team may take a chance, he is still a decent prospect.
Is XGF expected goals for and if so do any of these expected goals turn into real goals

Reactions: geo25

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

He turns 25 in June , he’s been clearing waivers for 3 years , he’s still just an ahl’er but hey I stat mined and found something that I can post to say he’s still a decent prospect , lol

I didn’t know who he was when Dubas traded for him but when he re-signed and the first 2 yrs were 2-way money I pretty much wrote him off . Dubie hands out min wage 1way deals like Halloween candy so if he couldn’t get a 1 way deal out of him it’s very telling of the type of prospect he was .

To be fair, this is the first time he's been put on midseason waivers, and at a time when lots of teams have injuries, underperforming players, pieces lost from trades and/or are gearing up to sell off

The only other times he's been on waivers have been season opening waivers, on like the last possible days, when 99% of the guys clear as teams are finalizing their opening roster
Good point but as a few other posters have said , every team has a few of these type of prospects .

Reactions: IPS and ToneDog

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
He turns 25 in June , he’s been clearing waivers for 3 years , he’s still just an ahl’er but hey I stat mined and found something that I can post to say he’s still a decent prospect , lol

I didn’t know who he was when Dubas traded for him but when he re-signed and the first 2 yrs were 2-way money I pretty much wrote him off . Dubie hands out min wage 1way deals like Halloween candy so if he couldn’t get a 1 way deal out of him it’s very telling of the type of prospect he was .

I assume you don't watch the WJC if you didn't know who he was.

He is a decent player and surprised he cleared since at worst he is better than some fourth-line players on other teams and young enough to be more than that.

What is funny is you probably complain that we traded Marchment and have this opinion.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

He is a decent player and surprised he cleared since at worst he is better than some fourth-line players on other teams and young enough to be more than that.

What is funny is you probably complain that we traded Marchment and have this opinion.
We had spots on our 4th and he couldn’t earn one .

Thought very little of Marchment when he was here , didn’t care that we traded him but I didn’t understand why we traded him for a Smurf when we were already tits deep in them .

Reactions: Niagara Bill

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.

If he is better than then a bunch of teams 4th liners why didn’t one of them claim him?

Reactions: geo25

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
If he is better than then a bunch of teams 4th liners why didn’t one of them claim him?

Why pick up a player who can help if you're tanking? Anderson is for sure better than some players who are currently player on 4th lines, or at the minimum, the same but has more potential

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Why pick up a player who can help if you're tanking? Anderson is for sure better than some players who are currently player on 4th lines, or at the minimum, the same but has more potential
Lol again if he is better and has more potential another team would have claimed him. Hell if your worried about getting better they could have claimed him and just scratched him for the rest of the year.

Maybe after years of not being able to capitalize on his chances here and no one claiming him off waivers he just isn’t as good as you think he is

Reactions: TMLAM34 and ACC1224

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Lol again if he is better and has more potential another team would have claimed him. Hell if your worried about getting better they could have claimed him and just scratched him for the rest of the year.

Maybe after years of not being able to capitalize on his chances here and no one claiming him off waivers he just isn’t as good as you think he is

He is 4th-line level, not some amazing player, I am not arguing that. He is better than a handful of current NHLers and only 24. Teams have different reasons for not claiming people, but he is better than some 4th liners currently playing.

Reactions: Menzinger

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto

Good point but as a few other posters have said , every team has a few of these type of prospects .
How has he been clearing for three years?

CapFriendly says his first time was October 2021 -- about 18 months ago.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Yeah, I’m pretty sure this was his first year of waiver eligibility.
I had high hopes for him when acquired, and still think he’d be fine taking a regular shift on a third or fourth line. I’m happy he cleared.
All reports have him being smart, responsible, good leadership. Did everything on the Marlies, kept progressing, and no complaints.

Reactions: ktownhockey

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Joey Anderson is going to be the new Adam Brooks. If he gets claimed people will freak out.
Meh.

Not likely.

Adam Brooks comes from Winnpeg and was captain of the Regina Pats with a full five-year career in the WHL.

Joey Anderson is American.

Just, meh. Nothing special. He won't be missed.

One day the girls in my high school made fun of our friend who they said was so average that he would likey come home from work in a blue shirt with "Bob" written in gold letters over the left pocket. And his name isn't even Bob. That could be Joey Anderson. They could write "Bob" on the back of his sweater and no one would notice.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure this was his first year of waiver eligibility.
I had high hopes for him when acquired, and still think he’d be fine taking a regular shift on a third or fourth line. I’m happy he cleared.
All reports have him being smart, responsible, good leadership. Did everything on the Marlies, kept progressing, and no complaints.
Second year.

He first cleared in October 2021.

Anyone who thinks he's been clearing waivers for three years is full of shit.

Reactions: aingefan

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Second year.

He first cleared in October 2021.

Anyone who thinks he's been clearing waivers for three years is full of shit.
If I’m wrong I sit corrected , I thought you had to clear after your elc was up and your on your 2nd contract .

Anyway my main point was he’s been on waivers multiple times and cleared before so the chances of him being claimed were low .

Reactions: Ciao

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad