Prospect Info: Joel Eriksson Ek (C) - 20th Overall, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City
Yeah, I'd say his floor is a scoring 3rd line center and his ceiling could honestly be a first line center.

His shot makes me excited.

I would be surprised if he became a big goal scorer in the NHL.He's a Koivu replacement,good smart 2 way center who could put up a decent number of assists.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I would be surprised if he became a big goal scorer in the NHL.He's a Koivu replacement,good smart 2 way center who could put up a decent number of assists.

He's more of a goal scorer than a playmaker. He's more likely to have a stat line that looks like 30-30-60 than 20-40-60.

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City
He's more of a goal scorer than a playmaker. He's more likely to have a stat line that looks like 30-30-60 than 20-40-60.

Button,Makenzie and several others say he's not a goal scorer but a 2 way center in the same mold as Koivu.I don't think it was a horrible pick but I think there were better guys available.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Button,Makenzie and several others say he's not a goal scorer but a 2 way center in the same mold as Koivu.I don't think it was a horrible pick but I think there were better guys available.

He lead his league in scoring and has been scouted as having one of the best wristers in the draft.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

His shot and knack for going to the net and scoring timely goals is his strength. His passing is good, but he's a natural goal scorer over playmaker. Every scouting report I've ever seen has highlighted his hands, shot, and willingness to go to the net. The one I saw earlier today (forgot where) said he's more likely to go for a shot or crash the net in the offensive zone than anything else.

He is a scoring center, no way around it. He may be big, and he may use his body to play along the boards and shield the puck, but Koivu is an awful comparison stylistically.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
SWE-F-Joel-Eriksson-Ek_18_04_15_1.jpg

He looks like the lovechild of Dany Heatley and Evgeni Malkin

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
His shot and knack for going to the net and scoring timely goals is his strength. His passing is good, but he's a natural goal scorer over playmaker. Every scouting report I've ever seen has highlighted his hands, shot, and willingness to go to the net. The one I saw earlier today (forgot where) said he's more likely to go for a shot or crash the net in the offensive zone than anything else.

He is a scoring center, no way around it. He may be big, and he may use his body to play along the boards and shield the puck, but Koivu is an awful comparison stylistically.

Everything about his scouting report says "Koivu" to me, except being a shooter, rather than a playmaker: 200 ft game, board battling, defensively responsible, etc...

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Everything about his scouting report says "Koivu" to me, except being a shooter, rather than a playmaker: 200 ft game, board battling, etc...

Offense is half the game. So everything about him says Koivu to you except for half of his game? He's a C that's defensively responsible, and he's big enough to play along the boards successfully. Those are not two things that are exclusive to Koivu.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Offense is half the game. So everything about him says Koivu to you except for half of his game? He's a C that's defensively responsible, and he's big enough to play along the boards successfully. Those are not two things that are exclusive to Koivu.

It's just a different type of offense, but same level of potential. He's a Koivu that shoots before he passes.

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City

I would like to see the scouting report that says he is a goal scorer,everything I have seen says 200ft game,smart,willing to go into the dirty areas with some scoring ability.

Eple

It ain't easy being
Mar 7, 2010
Turku
The more I read about him the more I like him. Also gotta agree as a Finn, them Swedes know how to produce NHL calibre players more than any other country does.

My only gripe is his name. Eriksson Ek. It just cuts short. There's gotta be a -holm or -qvist hiding somewhere there?

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I would like to see the scouting report that says he is a goal scorer,everything I have seen says 200ft game,smart,willing to go into the dirty areas with some scoring ability.

Just because he plays a 200 ft game doesn't mean he's not a scorer.

Some scouting reports of his:

A very competitive center who uses his size, skill, and skating to power to the net and create scoring chances. Possesses an elite-level shot, great vision, and slick puckhandling skills; as a result, it's no surprise that he has a natural knack for scoring big goals.

Joel Eriksson-Ek is a pure sniper with one of the best wrist shots in this draft, and an impressive snap shot. He has a lightning quick release, and his shot is already NHL ready.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
He also has more of a speed and finesse game than Koivu in the offensive zone, with better hands. They play pretty much a complete 180 of each other in the offensive zone.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Scouting reports on this guy are all over the place.

200 foot player?
Defensive forward?
Two-way forward?
Sniper?
Goal-scorer?

I don't know what to think.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Scouting reports on this guy are all over the place.

200 foot player?
Defensive forward?
Two-way forward?
Sniper?
Goal-scorer?

I don't know what to think.

200 foot player and two-way forward are the same thing. As are sniper and goal scorer. That's where you come to the conclusion that he's a goal-scoring, two-way center. They CAN happen. Eric Staal. Logan Couture. Ryan Kesler. Goal-scoring, two-way centers exist.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
FC "STRENGTHS: Eriksson is yet another strong 200-foot player out of the Swedish system. He skates extremely well and has a competitive streak that keeps him always hunting to make an impact. Very skilled offensively and likes to drive the play to the net. Has some flashy puck handling skills he can bust out if necessary to turn opponents inside out. Has a long reach and can change the angle on an opponent in order to sneak around him. Sees the ice very well and gets to prime real estate to receive pucks or make a big play. Not fearful to play the grinding, heavy game in high traffic to stir it up. Has a potent shot that he can snipe some pretty goals with. He has a great shot release that is quick and deceptive. Drives the net for rebounds and second chances. There is no quit in his game as he battles until the very end. Uses his powerful skating stride to bull his way around the ice and into greasy areas of the ice. Tremendous work ethic. He used his speed and size tobcharge back on the back check and then add a hand with the breakout, being both a reliable and responsible player. Supported in all three zones and in all corners of the ice, no matter the situation. Can crush, and devastate with his checks when he wants to. Drops down low in the defensive zone to help out and finish checks, not allowing his opponents any room to make a play. Shows excellent puck protection using his large frame and strength to fight off checks while being strong on the puck. Completes pinpoint passes that lead his man on the rush. He keeps the puck close and exudes confidence as he moves through the neutral zone. Remains anchored in the zone until the coast is clear. Angles his guys into no-man’s land and physically impedes them in order to get possession. Has a good reactive stick that he keeps in the kitchen of opposing players. Sees plays develop and gets in lanes to anticipate movement. Was the top Swede at the April U18’s in Switzerland. He is versatile player who can fill in different roles and will see his name on the back of an NHL jersey very soon.

WEAKNESSES: The one area he needs to continue to focus on the most is adding some muscle to his lower body. Added strength will make him even harder to play against and nearly impossible to move in front of the opposition’s net. He also needs to work on smoothing out his stride as it can be a little choppy and we still want to see him finish his checks harder. The one thing NHL teams need to realize is that he might not develop into that top line offensive threat.

SCOUTS QUOTE: “He likes to use his strength and length to protect the puck from defenders. He was good along the wall in the gritty areas, as well
as trying to hit opponents with checks and not just separate them from the puck. In the defensive zone, he was able to cover for his defensemen
when needed, and liked to play gritty along the walls. Great versatility, great character and all-out effort throughout the game. A player you win
with.”
NHL POTENTIAL: Top-Six Two-Way Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad