Player Discussion Joel Edmundson - Will he stay or will he go? He stays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
scandella would be nice as a 5/6 over merril/kilak tho

Scandella has already proven how much he sucks as a hockey player, I never want to see that useless scrub again.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
More of what :huh:

Merrill's strength is his positioning and ability to box people out in front of the net and clamp down on players in the corners. Though he is atrocious at moving the puck quickly.

Gus is better on the pp than Mete, AINEC.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Merrill's strength is his positioning and ability to box people out in front of the net and clamp down on players in the corners. Though he is atrocious at moving the puck quickly.

Gus is better on the pp than Mete, AINEC.

Sum of the parts in both cases are less than the player they replaced imo... & Our staff's unwillingness to play them more than heavily limited & sheltered minutes, despite our d getting shell shocked several times these playoffs, suggests they too have no confidence in their overall usefulness.

What's done is done. C'''est la vie

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
A lot of posters should eat crow.

When Edmundson was signed last summer, we saw these bogus heat maps posted again and again arguing that he was one of the worst defensemen in the NHL. That was complete nonsense, but I'm glad to see that proven so quickly.

We also had posters arguing that there was no need to acquire Edmundson given the Habs already had Chiarot ... Neglecting the fact that Chiarot and Edmundson would play on different pairings.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
When Edmundson was signed last summer, we saw these bogus heat maps posted again and again arguing that he was one of the worst defensemen in the NHL. That was complete nonsense, but I'm glad to see that proven so quickly.
This was one of the all-time classics. I always remember that whenever I'm engaging someone who claims to be into so called analytics.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
This was one of the all-time classics. I always remember that whenever I'm engaging someone who claims to be into so called analytics.

A case of the eye test showing me the opposite of what analytics showed. Granted I was watching him with St. Louis and he looked good. Just didn’t fit in Carolina. Kudos to Bergevin for seeing how Joel would be a fit in Montréal.

Imagine he was a UFA this summer and the type of contract he’d get. Far north of 3.5m per year.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

We also had posters arguing that there was no need to acquire Edmundson given the Habs already had Chiarot ... Neglecting the fact that Chiarot and Edmundson would play on different pairings.
Yup…..I remember the arguing point was he was benched which automatically = garbage without ever considering his ENTIRE body of work.

Same can be said with Chiarot……an expensive Benn I was told lol

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
The posters who were telling me that Mete is better than Chiarot and Edmundson, despite being even worse than Ouellet in the playoffs last year, have mysteriously disappeared.

Reactions: Hins77 and 1909

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
A case of the eye test showing me the opposite of what analytics showed. Granted I was watching him with St. Louis and he looked good. Just didn’t fit in Carolina. Kudos to Bergevin for seeing how Joel would be a fit in Montréal.

Imagine he was a UFA this summer and the type of contract he’d get. Far north of 3.5m per year.

To be honest Edmundson whole career has been a roller coaster. His year in Carolina was not unique. Consistency has always been his problem. He was able to be consistent this year in a shortened season. Will be interesting to see next season how he'll do with a full schedule. He never was able in his career to handle a full 82 games schedule very well.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
To be honest Edmundson whole career has been a roller coaster. His year in Carolina was not unique. Consistency has always been his problem. He was able to be consistent this year in a shortened season. Will be interesting to see next season how he'll do with a full schedule. He never was able in his career to handle a full 82 games schedule very well.

He's a system defender and works well in this system. But let’s not forget that at one point in the season he was even used as the puckmover on the top pairing with Weber and performed admirably.

Reactions: DAChampion

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Funny how the people who didn't like the Edmundson acquisition seem to be the same ones who were whining about Chiarot, Danault, Byron, Armia and MB........maybe they should consider the fact that they don't understand the game instead of constantly moving goalposts to support their increasingly absurd bias.

This was a very good team from the start that was crippled by terrible play from their 10 million dollar goalie, injuries and Covid.

Once the negative momentum started it was tough to reel it in given the circumstances which was compounded by a mass coaching change with out practice time to implement a new system.

The fact that it is so hard for those who were wrong to admit it is shameful and they are only embarrassing themselves further with their amendments and caveats.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Don't forget he was still a young D before to, he's only 27 and entering his prime

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
The posters who were telling me that Mete is better than Chiarot and Edmundson, despite being even worse than Ouellet in the playoffs last year, have mysteriously disappeared.
Posters are seeing mete skating faster than both of them, sonthey think he is better. Like many poster say. We need a real PMD. Mmm. Gustafsson is a pmd. You like him to defend in the d zone? I mean. Its not because you have a pmd your team gonna be better. We have 4 towers on d corp and i keep them way before a pmd like barrie or brodie.

Reactions: aresknights

japhi

Jul 7, 2014

Worst dman in the league they said lol. Those posts, the takes on Ben Chiarot, Weber not a top dman, can’t pay a goalie 10mm, Byron + retention for nothing.

The conventional wisdom here is getting smashed to bits

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Funny how the people who didn't like the Edmundson acquisition seem to be the same ones who were whining about Chiarot, Danault, Byron, Armia and MB........maybe they should consider the fact that they don't understand the game instead of constantly moving goalposts to support their increasingly absurd bias.

This was a very good team from the start that was crippled by terrible play from their 10 million dollar goalie, injuries and Covid.

Once the negative momentum started it was tough to reel it in given the circumstances which was compounded by a mass coaching change with out practice time to implement a new system.

The fact that it is so hard for those who were wrong to admit it is shameful and they are only embarrassing themselves further with their amendments and caveats.

I usually don't have much to say when we acquire a player since I have barely watched any non Hab NHL games in years and years (so I haven't watched a second of the NHL playoffs where the Habs weren't in it, or as soon as they were bounced I stop watching hockey and go back to baseball) So I didn't have much to say on Edmundson or Chiarot. But at the time I recall many posters feeling like it was Alzner all over again. I can't say I blame them for not trusting MB at the time, unless you knew those players well enough to know better. In all my years at HF I find many posters think they know more then they really do as it's very difficult to watch so much hockey to form strong opinions on so many players and or prospects.

I like Byron but then he had some injury problems as MB couldn't have known that we would be in a flat cap world. Byron has had his ups and downs the past couple seasons so it's easy to see why some bash MB for the contract.

Armia is ok, but I don't see any harm in posters not liking him as he is very frustrating as he could be so good if he could find even a little bit of consistency.

Danault is clearly a great defensive forward, the lack of offense is very concerning for what he's likely going to get paid but we'll see what happens.

MB, Molson, I can't stand them, as I don't forgive years of shit, Lefebvre, terrible decisions in rushing prospects, etc.. that said he had a great off-season, but covid has helped him for sure as last year we looked like we were going to be picking in the 5-7 range with how badly we were falling in the standings before the league got shut down. If fact if they waited another day and we lost that night to the sabers if memory serves, we wouldn't have made it to the play ins and then we are talking about missing the playoffs 4 out of the last 5 years (at the time). This season had it's ups and downs for sure, covid played a part both for and against as the schedule for April was bullshit and all that travel but the teams we faced outside the leafs weren't very good and even the leafs haven't been able to win a round in the playoffs despite all that firepower.

We'll see what next year brings if we are back to 82 games and a normal schedule. I was never sold on this team being very good because the blueline's struggles to move the puck, provide offense. Management's terrible plan for how to develop talent, as until Bouchard it was brutal in the AHL and MB was stupid to rush so many kids that clearly weren't ready. He finally got it right with Caufield at least so maybe he's learning finally. If they rush Guhle I will lose my shit though.

Reactions: Gyfu

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
It was a bad play and if it was anyone else I'd definitely be more upset but Edmundson has been one of our better defenseman this playoffs. One brutal turnover wont define his run.

malton

Feb 17, 2009
It was a terrible play, but I agree that he's been one of our more reliable players and won't let it define his playoffs.

Chiarot on the other hand chose the worst time to revert back to being Ben Chiarot

Reactions: Ozmodiar
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad