Player Discussion Joel Edmundson - Will he stay or will he go? He stays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Watch him closely with the puck on his stick... Especially in the dzone.
He usually makes the simple play and defers to Petry as much as possible.

he moves the puck efficiently most times...he doesn’t handle the puck like a grenade a la Merrill.

He’s really not all that different than a guy in Vegas who you like, McNabb...

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az

he moves the puck efficiently most times...he doesn’t handle the puck like a grenade a la Merrill.

McNabb was lighting guys up last night. Keep your head up boys.

Reactions: Ozmodiar and 417

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Nothing against Mete..but I can’t picture this team, in these playoffs, with him in the top 6.

where would he fit?

he doesn’t play PK (Merrill does)

he doesn’t play PP (Gustafson does)

And he has to be sheltered at even strength.
Montreal could not secure any type of asset for Mete. Yet Miller thinks we made a mistake letting him go and he's now a budding star in Ottawa. :laugh:

Reactions: Ozmodiar

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Montreal could not secure any type of asset for Mete. Yet Miller thinks we made a mistake letting him go and he's now a budding star in Ottawa. :laugh:
Was listening to Ottawa radio and they were surprised the Sens haven’t re-signed him yet.

I think he’s going to have as hard of a time as he had in Montreal, in Ottawa.

With Chabot, Brannstrom and Sanderson coming...

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

yup. very solid #4 dman... just on a premium contract for that type or role/what he contributes.

last night he made a few very bad decisions with the puck that quickly led to dangerous scoring chances... the kind of plays that speak to why it's not a great thing that he's playing 22min/night... Luckily we have price to balance that out.

Reactions: 417

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

your obsession with Mete is fascinating...

a 7th and Mete would serve us better right now than playing Gus for 9min a night and praying his gaffes don't cost a goal... but that has little to do with Edmundson so :dunno:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
yup. very solid #4 dman... just on a premium contract for that type or role/what he contributes.
I find fans/media tend to worry about contracts and salary way too much.

Is he slightly overpaid? I don’t think so but I can see an argument to the contrary.

would his contributions or value as a player be any different to the Habs if he made 2.85M instead?

I don’t think so...

last night he made a few very bad decisions with the puck that quickly led to dangerous scoring chances... the kind of plays that speak to why it's not a great thing that he's playing 22min/night... Luckily we have price to balance that out.
Vegas gave every Dman on the Habs fits last night for the entire regulation...super aggressive, 2 man forecheck.

most players would struggle in those circumstances

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

a 7th and Mete would serve us better right now than playing Gus for 9min a night and praying his gaffes don't cost a goal... but that has little to do with Edmundson so :dunno:
But how?

neither player would be trusted at even strength but at least Gus plays on PP.

Mete just doesn’t have a seat

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
But how?

neither player would be trusted at even strength but at least Gus plays on PP.

Mete just doesn’t have a seat

disagree. Mete was more trusted a year ago (by CJ) than Gus is currently... no reason to believe that, were he in the roster, he wouldn't have stepped in and shown enough to be used in 3rd pairing ahead of Merrill/Kulak... especially considering that his strengths are exactly what we most lack in the group right now (and while Gus has them, his terrible decision making makes him a massive liability that needs to be carefully sheltered to an extent Mete never was even at 19, 20).

but anyways, he's gone, and this is an edmundson thread...

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
disagree. Mete was more trusted a year ago (by CJ) than Gus is currently... no reason to believe that, were he in the roster, he wouldn't have stepped in and shown enough to be used in 3rd pairing ahead of Merrill/Kulak... especially considering that his strengths are exactly what we most lack in the group right now (and while Gus has them, his terrible decision making makes him a massive liability that needs to be carefully sheltered to an extent Mete never was even at 19, 20).
In the playoffs?...they had no choice, their #4-5-6 Dmen in the playoffs last year were Kulak-Mete-Ouellet

but anyways, he's gone, and this is an edmundson thread...
True

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Sure is refreshing having Edmundson/Chiarot as our 3/4 after years of trying Kulak/Mete/Benn/Reilly/Scandella/Beaulieu/Alzner/My Uncle Bob/A Wire Hanger With A Jersey Draped Over it Welded To Two Extacto Knives
Yea but Uncle Bob would not demand that outrageous salary of 3.5 million.

Joel is 99nth in NHL in salary cap per 2020 ranking. Very reasonable. guys ahead of him: Brendan Dillon, Connor Murphy, Jason Demers, Kris Russell. I'd take Joel easily.

Alex Martinez on the Knights makes 4 million a year. his analytics are pretty bad. I'd take Joel any day.

Last edited:

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
In the playoffs?...they had no choice, their #4-5-6 Dmen in the playoffs last year were Kulak-Mete-Ouellet

True

And thus year, because Kulak, Merrill & Gus are so bad, we need to play Edmundson & Chia heavier minutes than they should, with the resulting effects we've seen this series...

Playoffs are a grind either way... And your top guys always need to handle more minutes...

But I think it fair to say that we'd be better served if the coaches felt they had better options to relieve some minutes from edm & Chia in particular.

Hopefully the brain farts last night were just that, and not reflective of fatigue compounding his limitations.

We need him for 6-11 more games at a better level than he (& the team as a whole) have played at for most of this series.
being out played so heavily for 2/3 to 3/4 of every game is not a great recipe for success (even if we're sitting at 2-1 in the series)

Reactions: 417

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland

I don't think giving up on Mete was necessary, but I hardly see how he could have helped our powerplay.

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
Sure is refreshing having Edmundson/Chiarot as our 3/4 after years of trying Kulak/Mete/Benn/Reilly/Scandella/Beaulieu/Alzner/My Uncle Bob/A Wire Hanger With A Jersey Draped Over it Welded To Two Extacto Knives

scandella would be nice as a 5/6 over merril/kilak tho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad