Confirmed with Link: Joel Edmundson Signed (4-Years @ $3.5M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I wonder what exactly people expected. The guy got in front of an arbitrator last season and got awarded 3.1 million a year. Being a UFA, he was certainly going to get a bit more. This is fair market value.

Since he was making 3.1m last season I was expecting closer to 4m on this contract so the AAV is lower than what I expected but that 4th year added was likely why the AAV is 3.5m.

I'm not familiar with his game at all but he just turned 27 on June 28th so the 4 year term really shouldn't be an issue and hopefully these next 4 years he'll play the best hockey of his life.

I must now go and read what the "experts" on the mainboard have to say about how terrible this deal is for the Habs since that's what I'm expecting to see there. :)

Reactions: jaffy27 and CHfan1

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Does it move the team forward? Not really. Its the same kicking chairs on depth.

Edmundson is ok but we have seen this play out more often then not for Bergys tenure, there is often nothing after these moves
We aren't getting anyone that moves the team forward without drafting them or giving up a shit ton of assets for them.

Reactions: dralaf

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
If Habs go 3D to protect in the Seattle, then four of Edmundson, Chiarot, Kulak, Mete, and Juulsen will be exposed.

The protected will be Weber, Petry, Chiarot/Edmundson.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
It wont be that easy to play agaist mtl next year. Now i agree we need to get some help on the wing...

They were the 24th best team in the league last year. I don’t mind the signing but it doesn’t make the Habs a daunting opponent in any sense.

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't like the 4 years but I the AAV is what I expected... I had him around $3.25M - $3.5M range. You guys can disagree but the 4 years is risky boys and girls. Got to live with it now.

Unless Chiarot is being included in the Danault+ deal to get Laine? :sarcasm: :laugh:

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Exactly. There is some flexibility if Bergevin has to move a contract. Still, I don't like the idea of Chiarot as the first pairing D to start the season but if things stand as they are, that's where we're headed.

Yeah, we still have room for maneuver. I think people have just to come to terms that Bergevin wasn't going to pursue the big-name UFA's. Which isn't necessarily a bad decision at all.

I agree on Chiarot. I like him a lot, but bumping him down the depth chart was the #1 offseason task IMO. That's why signing Edmundson leaves a bit of a sour taste.

Let's see what's next.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Hence using cap space for futures not stop gaps
Like I said, the only available option for us in the past 3 years was getting Armia for taking on Mason. We weren't even able to do similar move last year, what makes you think we were going to do that this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: jaffy27

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
They were the 24th best team in the league last year. I don’t mind the signing but it doesn’t make the Habs a daunting opponent in any sense.

We will have better team D but man... Who's going to score in those tight games? Every defensive team with a good goalie needs some snipers. Hope we are not done!

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
What Gordo actually said on Melnick’s show was Edmundson will easily get $6M on the open market he's well respected around the league for which Melnick fell off his chair & almost had a cardiac arrest

Thanks for the clarification. I missed the segment so I'm only going by that Tweet.

Reactions: jaffy27

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
I'm not a fan of Edmundson. That's another story if he could play as a top 4 (not 1909% sure about that).

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Im more worried about moving the puck. Nobody on the left side can do it.

Passing the puck is faster than skating with it. And those big boys can use their edge work and frame to protect the puck. I get what you are saying but that type of value is more an issue on our PP zone entries and lateral movement at the point once we have possession

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad