Confirmed with Link: Joel Edmundson Signed (4-Years @ $3.5M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Not a bad deal and player in the basic sense

If anyone can figure out what Bergy is building with this team and what direction they are going with 8 million spent on a backup and 4-5 dman when wing is the issue, im all ears.

Wing is not an issue. We have Tatar, Drouin, Domi, Gallagher, Armia, Byron, Lehkonen + Caufield.
Thats four top 6 wingers + 1 potential (caufield), and three solid 3rd line wingers.

We can make it better by replacing one of them with a big goalscorer, but even without that, wing is not a weakness for the habs.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
good signing,

now MB let's get scoring... you clown

I like how you're approving of the signing but you're still calling Bergevin a clown.

It's like that poster in the thread where Julien became hospitalized, wished him well but still referred to him as "Clod".

This place, sometimes. :laugh:

Last edited:

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
I'll take 8 million(which won't last more than 1 year) in a much needed backup and 4-5 dman over 8 million in sweet nothing for another year. We still got tons of cap space if for the first time in forever we can use it on a good player.

Instead of spending for sake of spending, rather see acquire cap dumps with futures attached if they are going to acquire guys that barely move the dial

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I'm fine with Chiarot and Edmundson as our 2nd and 3rd pairing. I'd like someone nasty that takes no prisoners and is good defensively who can also chip in offensively. I'm not fine with either guy being on the first pair. We need a PMD on the left side in the worst way because those 2 are very similar players and Mete/Kulak are not the answer.

Reactions: Magic Stick

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I wonder what exactly people expected. The guy got in front of an arbitrator last season and got awarded 3.1 million a year. Being a UFA, he was certainly going to get a bit more. This is fair market value.

There was no getting around it. As a pending UFA, he had leverage. He went for term and sacrificed a little money. Also, the uncertainty of the flat cap and reduced league-wide revenues probably factored into the decision. The Molson group will have no trouble paying his salary on time unlike some other teams.

Reactions: dralaf

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Instead of spending for sake of spending, rather see acquire cap dumps with futures attached if they are going to acquire guys that barely move the dial
We aren't spending for the sake of spending. Mete and Kulak suck ass and we needed a backup. It's a lot of cap for those 2, but the only cap dump we were able to acquire(which we can still do) in the last 3 years is taking on Mason.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Wing is not an issue. We have Tatar, Drouin, Domi, Gallagher, Armia, Byron, Lehkonen + Caufield.
Thats four top 6 wingers + 1 potential (caufield), and three solid 3rd line wingers.

We can make it better by replacing one of them with a big goalscorer, but even without that, wing is not a weakness for the habs.

The wing got exposed badly with this pretend playoffs. You listed depth and ok wingers on bad teams, you need quality

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Looks a lot like the Marco Scandella contract with the Blues ($14 mils vs 13.1, same term).

A little surprised at the term, though seems to be a good deal.

And they upgraded draft picks with the Scandella trade.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009

Too many similar wingers!! not enough size,not enough shooter, not enough grit and no real 1st liner a bunch of 2/3rd line players.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Now we'll see if it's a part of a larger plan or just tinkering around the edges.

The contract is not bad. One of Chiarot/Edmundson should be easily moved if needed.

Exactly. There is some flexibility if Bergevin has to move a contract. Still, I don't like the idea of Chiarot as the first pairing D to start the season but if things stand as they are, that's where we're headed.

Reactions: jaffy27

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
1 year more to keep it at 3.5....fine I guess. I'm okay with that. But it's still just Edmunson. Better than Kulak. Shouldn't be a regular top 4 on a great team. No doubt that a 3 years would hav cost 4.2. So Bergie just bought himself 700k by giving 1 more year. Good deal. Still tons of work to do.

Reactions: Redux91

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax

That's two top six wingers, Domi who it remains to be seen if he can adjust to the wing, and Drouin who is sub replacement level. And yes, three good 3rd line wingers. It is a massive, gaping hole on the roster that we are still penciling in Drouin to the 2nd line.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
We aren't spending for the sake of spending. Mete and Kulak suck ass and we needed a backup. It's a lot of cap for those 2, but the only cap dump we were able to acquire(which we can still do) in the last 3 years is taking on Mason.

Does it move the team forward? Not really. Its the same kicking chairs on depth.

Edmundson is ok but we have seen this play out more often then not for Bergys tenure, there is often nothing after these moves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad