Confirmed with Link: Joel Edmundson Signed (4-Years @ $3.5M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I think it might be too late for Mete. He said have been in the AHL instead of here.

Maybe but we are almost certainly going to repeat the same mistakes with Romanov because it's highly unlikely that day 1 of training camp Romanov is going to be a stud. He's still very much a guy who is going to need to develop if he's going to reach his potential. And even before we signed Edmundson we had a bit of logjam at D. Too many depth defenceman and not enough good ones, Edmundson only makes that worse.

Reactions: Tighthead

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
We just filled a glaring hole for very cheap - at least Edmunson is a legit NHL D (so now we have 4!)

I don't think lack of scoring (+ #1LD) can be fixed in such a short amount of time though, it probably needs to mostly come from the inside, but I'd be wary about giving off futures for a 50-60 points players. (if we can do a trade like Washington did for Oshie that'd be great).
Short amount of time.........with all due respect, Bergevin is starting his 9th season on the job. I'll give you a mulligan on that one.
We have sucked on offense now, for the past 5-6 years.....................

Reactions: Runner77

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Short amount of time.........with all due respect, Bergevin is starting his 9th season on the job. I'll give you a mulligan on that one.
We have sucked on offense now, for the past 5-6 years.....................

Oh I was talking about THIS offseason, starting from the state of this team... not MB's general tenure lol (that's a whole other can of worms hahaha)

Reactions: BLONG7

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

@roy munson will be proud.

zOnYhgm.png

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Oh I was talking about THIS offseason, starting from the state of this team... not MB's general tenure lol (that's a whole other can of worms hahaha)
Fixing our scoring has been an ongoing issue, and he just hasn't done it..........which is where I was coming from. Sorry for the confusion. Short amount of time, and Bergevin just don't mix. If anything he has too much time, and we still always seem to have the same issues.................but gotta give him credit, he is THE master of moving goalposts and lowering expectations.

Reactions: abo9

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
No one ever said drafting didn't have it's limits or that development can turn everyone into a diamond. But it's also not normal that you go 10 years with only developing 1 quality player. Out of the 10 drafts from 08-17, the only good player we developed was Gallagher. That's not normal and it's not all on drafting either, a big reason why we have that record is because we have no development plan in place, and worse we pretty much applied every bad development practice we could find and applied them to almost every prospect we had.

Mete had and still has the potential to be a top-4 D even though he's probably never going to be a goal scorer. However instead of helping him reach that potential we would rather play a vet who doesn't have that potential. Sure Edmundson might very well be better then a young guy right now, however if we invested the time and worked with the young guy they would likely end up not only better the Edmundson. So unless the immediate short term wins are more important then long term success you are actually hurting the team by going with those good but not great vets.

Jeeze, what happened to the old Sorinth? I like the present version much better.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
He did? Adding Edmundson kind of makes it less likely.

In his interview with Mathias Brunet, he broke down why he doesn't feel like he needs to trade a defenseman. He said that with Weber, Petry, Chiarot, Edmundson, and Romanov, that's 5. And they need to carry 7, which would be Kulak and Mete. He said they can't rely on Juulsen's health yet so they don't count him. He then mentioned Fleury, who is waiver exempt and they can move him up and down freely.

He mentioned Romanov as part of the Top-5.

Also, Julien was asked after the season in his phone conference. He said that Romanov is NHL ready.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Fixing our scoring has been an ongoing issue, and he just hasn't done it..........which is where I was coming from. Sorry for the confusion. Short amount of time, and Bergevin just don't mix. If anything he has too much time, and we still always seem to have the same issues.................but gotta give him credit, he is THE master of moving goalposts and lowering expectations.

Change ongoing with longstanding

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

I think it simply makes it more likely that we see a trade.

The only good thing I see from this signing is that it gives us leeway to trade away some Ds, but most importantly, in the present landscape of clubs wanting to prune salaries, it's gonna be an advantage to have many midrange Ds on low contracts (and forwards too).

Reactions: Runner77

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Edmundson had more TOI than Dunn during the entire series without seeing much PP time.

Looking into it, Dunn did have a smidge under his TOI. The data is a bit underestimated for Dunn since the game he got injured he played like 2 minutes.

EV TOI per game
Parayko 22:03
Bouwmeester 21:28
Pietrangelo 21:16
Edmundson 15:40
Gunnarsson 14:01
Dunn 13:25
Bortuzzo 9:53

PP TOI
Pietrangelo 2:44
Dunn 1:39
Parayko 1:36
Edmundson 0:16
Bouwmeester 0:11
Gunnarsson 0:08
Bortuzzo 0:05

PK TOI
Bortuzzo 2:20
Bouwmeester 1:51
Pietrangelo 1:45
Parayko 1:27
Gunnarsson 0:48
Edmundson 0:36
Dunn 0:05

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
None of this makes you or anyone a hater or whatever other dumb label this forum enjoys handing out. You’re just being pragmatic. If some can’t see it, it’s that their heads are too deep inside Bergevin’s butt. They ought to come out for some fresh air now and again.

We can have a difference of opinion. Doesn’t make us lesser fans.
giphy.gif

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I don't think that they value offense unless it was created by a good defense first effort, they seem to believe that a creative player is a risky one. I think that they would value guys like Suzuki and KK much more as 60 point players with a strong defensive game than they would if both were high offense one-way types of players. We seem to be obsessed with GA much more than having the ability to score 5 or 6 if we needed to, do you get what I am saying here? The way we are built strongly suggests that we want to minimize goals against and try and win games 2-1 where we have scored first and then can control things(save us, Carey). We are very one dimensional in the way that we want to have a winning hockey team. We used to be the flying Frenchmen, when did it all change?

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
If your top guy isnt being used on the first PP wave then he will probably not be the most used Dmen minute wise.

Yeah I thought Pp would be a factor. Hard to say if that’s always the case. My hypothetical #1 could be on a second wave pp and log crazy es mins.

I get what you’re saying and I think you’re generally right

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
We used to be the flying Frenchmen, when did it all change?

Salary Cap, Irving Grundman, expansion, Reggie Houle, Reggie Houle clone Bergevin (including Lefebvre, Therrien, JJD etc.), Geoff the fake hockey executive, lack of timely and stringent performance reviews of management contingent, failure to capitalize on status as a top 3 revenue team to maximize spending on non-cap restricted personnel and failure to poach the best from other teams, no decipherable plan, crass nepotism, limited to no consequences in the face of repeated failures.

I think that pretty much summarizes the tip of the iceberg.

Gainesvillain

Apr 9, 2013
Per game or total? We know Edmundson was scratched twice, and I think Dunn had some injury issues.
Edmunson struggled quite a bit the year STL won the Cup but bottom line: he was still trusted enough by coach Beube to be a starter in game 7 of the SCF.

Reactions: ItzaGreat

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Edmunson struggled quite a bit the year STL won the Cup but bottom line: he was still trusted enough by coach Beube to be a starter in game 7 of the SCF.
9:04 of ice time is not exactly trusted. It’s just that the alternative the game prior, Bortuzzo, was a righty not playing a lot.

Berube basically emulated Randy Carlyle and rolled his three good Dmen high minutes. JBow, Pietrangelo, and Parayko.
Both Gunnarson and Vince Dunn logged more minutes than Edmundson even though all of them had low minutes.

Reactions: Tighthead

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
On account of Kulak, I agree, but if he’s traded then I believe he’s a shoe in.....I can see he and Mete alternate till Romanov takes over.....when and if he does

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
There is no doubt that Edmundson helps the defense. He's a decent skater, big body with a mean streak. This is a bottom pairing guy that should log 16 minutes a game. I feel like that is a move you make if you are Vancouver, where your top 4 D is set, you have enough offense and you want a big bruising dmen on your bottom pairing.
We can't score goals and instead of trying to fix it, Bergevin goes and spend 8 mil on #5 dmem and a back up goalie.

I don't like the signing and I think it's useless. We could have used our cap space leverage much better.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
There is no doubt that Edmundson helps the defense. He's a decent skater, big body with a mean streak. This is a bottom pairing guy that should log 16 minutes a game. I feel like that is a move you make if you are Vancouver, where your top 4 D is set, you have enough offense and you want a big bruising dmen on your bottom pairing.
We can't score goals and instead of trying to fix it, Bergevin goes and spend 8 mil on #5 dmem and a back up goalie.

I don't like the signing and I think it's useless. We could have used our cap space leverage much better.

I'm not sure if Vancouver is in a position where they can sign quality depth pieces. I have to look at their cap situation more closely but I think they have quite a bit of fluff that they signed already that are holding cap space.

They have kind of fumbled their way into building a solid young core, but there have been some bad contracts picked up in the process. That's an accumulation of trying to get on the fast track to being a competitive team over the past few years.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Doesn't really say much, an integral piece of the blue line wouldn't be healthy scratched. Yes, he managed to be a part of a group that won it all but clearly there were times that he wasn't considered that key.

Scratched 4 times,
played under 10 minutes 3 times
Under 15 minutes 10 times.

so 17 of 22 games, he was basically the 3rd pair guy.
So on a Cup winning team he's a third pair d-man. What does that make him on the Habs? 1st pair?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad