Confirmed with Link: Joel Edmundson Signed (4-Years @ $3.5M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
A force of a D would be one like Tampa’s this year. Or one Chicago’s Cup-winning D corps.

We don’t have a Doughty/Voynov, Keith/Seabrook, Letang, Pietrangelo/Parayko level of D corps. Those are a real force to play against. Not a big gunner in Weber and a barely adequate puck mover in Petry complemented by pylons.
I agree overall, but that’s a poor take on Petry. He’s an extremely valuable player.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
A force of a D would be one like Tampa’s this year. Or one Chicago’s Cup-winning D corps.

We don’t have a Doughty/Voynov, Keith/Seabrook, Letang, Pietrangelo/Parayko level of D corps. Those are a real force to play against. Not a big gunner in Weber and a barely adequate puck mover in Petry complemented by pylons.

It is ok to be cynical if you are knowledgeable and fair...........

mynamejeff420

Apr 14, 2020
Terrible contract for a terrible player. He's a massive downgrade on Kulak (who he's replacing) and in a year will be seen as Alzner 2.0 (if he's not already thought of as that). If Bergevin can't learn from his mistakes he needs to go.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Terrible contract for a terrible player. He's a massive downgrade on Kulak (who he's replacing) and in a year will be seen as Alzner 2.0 (if he's not already thought of as that). If Bergevin can't learn from his mistakes he needs to go.

As of right now he's not really replacing, as if Edmundson struggles, Kulak can step back up and take a spot in the top 4.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I think that D corps you listed leans more towards average than “force”. But thats still a step up from where we’ve been.

Standards & expectations are so low after the past 8 yrs of roster management that this D group looks like gold to some.

Reality is that it's still quite lacking and not anywhere close to the top tier groups out there, despite the hefty price tag.

Juulsen, Mete & Romanov exceeding expectations is the only shot it has at being better than average this year.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Kulak is coming off a 7 pt season, right now it wouldn't take much to be better then that. Kulak turns 27 in 3 1/2 months, has been wildly inconsistent so having competition is good for them, may the best man win the job hopefully one of them is a Kraken in '21-'22.

Reactions: jaffy27 and dralaf

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Edmundson is a nice add for a 5th. Our team has too many small forward and can use the extra toughness.

We can easily flip him later for value similar to the Scandella trade (2nd & 4th).

Reactions: dralaf

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Toughness? What's the point. If you get stapled to the bench everytine you take a bad penalty, which usually happens if you aren't a star, then it's a waste. I am hoping for a couple goals and 10 assists or a point every 7 games or so. Those are rock bottom expectations for a player that gets 15 minutes a game.

Now think how rock bottom the Habs are.
And in case we forgot, it wasn't thatong ago that Erik Karlsson had a ppg as a dman. That doesn't even possible when we applaud 40 points from weber and poetry as amazing. Our forwards would score more often if our dsquad could pass the puck even at the low bar of spacek.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Two puck moving D, Krug and Pietrangelo, are scheduled to become UFAs. I am pretty sure the Habs will try to lure them both. I expect none to sign here, they will be highly coveted by other teams and huge contracts will be handed down. This is why Joel was acquired.

Seems to me that Mete, Kulak and Juulsen have been disappointing. Kulak is largely inconsistent and Mete can't score. I don't see a future here for Juulsen and Romanov is a project that needs to be developed.

But let's imagine this D for a sec :

Pietrangelo Krug
Petry Chiarot
Weber Edmundson
Romanov

3 puck moving D and 4 mean bodies to play against. The Habs would have one hell of a D.

Frank JT

Feb 8, 2014
Realistic

Chiarot - Weber
Kulak/or Ednundson - Petry
Edmundson/Kulak - Romanov/ Mete
Fleury and Juulsen in Laval to start the year

Last edited:

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
Good trade and good deal.

He's an affordable placeholder, if/when Romanov surpasses him on the depth chart, he will be a luxury on the 3rd pairing and a harbinger that our D is turning the corner.

He's a good defenseman, and no disrespect intended to him.....but the less top 4 minutes he plays, the better team we'll have.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Two puck moving D, Krug and Pietrangelo, are scheduled to become UFAs. I am pretty sure the Habs will try to lure them both. I expect none to sign here, they will be highly coveted by other teams and huge contracts will be handed down. This is why Joel was acquired.

Seems to me that Mete, Kulak and Juulsen have been disappointing. Kulak is largely inconsistent and Mete can't score. I don't see a future here for Juulsen and Romanov is a project that needs to be developed.

Pietrangelo Krug
Petry Chiarot
Weber Edmundson
Romanov

3 puck moving D and 4 mean bodies to play against. The Habs would have one hell of a D.

no way they try for both, since there's a cap and well.

Petry can't play LD, lol at Weber on the 3rd pairing and at LD, that won't happen either.

Romanov is top 6 or in Laval.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

Pietrangelo Krug
Petry Chiarot
Weber Edmundson
Romanov

Where did you find 18 million in cap space?

mynamejeff420

Apr 14, 2020
Kulak is coming off a 7 pt season, right now it wouldn't take much to be better then that. Kulak turns 27 in 3 1/2 months, has been wildly inconsistent so having competition is good for them, may the best man win the job hopefully one of them is a Kraken in '21-'22.

Points are a pretty terrible measure of "defenseman quality", good defensemen can have low point totals (ex McNabb, Manson) and point scoring for defensemen is pretty much just a function of who they play with. While Kulak spent most of his time playing with the Habs 3rd line, Edmundson got the benefit of playing most of his time with the Canes top line. That's where the difference comes from.

If you compare the two by things they can impact (Expected Goals For/Against), Kulak is miles better.
upload_2020-9-20_16-56-22.png

Having watched almost all the Habs games this year, I don't think Kulak stood out as any more or less consistent than any of the other players. Every player has good and bad games, and every player is inconsistent to some degree, the good players tend to have more good games than bad ones, and Kulak had a lot more good games than bad ones this year.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
If this sets us up for Pietrangelo. Bergy is a genius
Like Pietranglelo can't tell the difference between a JBow and a Edmundson....

Unless they got a bromance, a Joel Edmundson is not going to sway a Pietrangelo.

Newsflash: word gets around the league fast. For an outsider, Pietrangelo will get a quick list of Bergy's biggest hits, which includes:
Calling Subban Michael Del Zotto
Trading Subban for Weber
Playing hardball with Andrei Markov
"If you want loyalty, buy a dog" to Radulov.
Seeing Johnathan Drouin being pumped up as our best winger while Phillip Danault is our so-called #1.
Being a subordinate to Shea Weber because Bergy and Clode loves Shea THAT much.

Knowing Bergy, the offer to Pietrangelo will be too little and thus be dead on arrival.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

Pietrangelo Krug
Petry Chiarot
Weber Edmundson
Romanov

That's crazy. No way the Habs can fit both those guys. One would be tough. Together you're looking at $16-17m.

Reactions: jaffy27

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
The Habs aren’t in the running for AP. They don’t have the cap space and right now they need a scoring winger.

0% AP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad