Confirmed with Link: Joel Armia signed for 2 years (2.6M AAV)

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
When the Jets traded him to you guys for taking the Mason contract i came on your form and said you guys will like him . Said he was great on the cycle hard to get the puck from and great pker and very good in his own end . I'm glad he has worked out for ya we could have used him on the Jets this last year .

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Can he stay healthy & hit 20g/40-45pts, playing 16-17min/game?

He was on pace for 19g, 33 points if he had played all the games. 45 pts would be great from a 3rd liner, but i'd expect something more around 30-35 points with 15 goals.

backwards motion

Sep 29, 2017
I love it. When he was sent away from the Jets, I was sure happy for you (I have multible teams to cheer for). Also with you taking Kotkaniemi. I liked it very much. I'm a foreigner, so I still remember Saku Koivu years with you. I don't hate teams. That being said, glad of this contract. Armia sure is worth the name "one man army". Every team would love this kinda player. It's not really even "I don't know for sure", it's like "I know for sure". I have no doubt he will be him in every game. Not the flashiest, but one of the most reliavable one, how ever you want to use him.

And not too expensive. Good.

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
Like I said. Indifferent. But 13 goals is nothing special. We put too much on defensive play
Yeah I get man I'm frustrated too, I want this team to get better just like you and the Aho offersheet and all the Duchene talk made me dream bigger than just resigning our own guys.. but 13 in 57 games is not that bad, I think Armia is a very solid 3rd liner and I do think he makes us better. Now he's not enough, but I like the signing still.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I like this signing - I think trading Shaw allowed the Habs to bring back Armia and Lehky. I'm not sure if Armia will be back after these two years. But he is fun to watch at times. Like Lehkonen, if he could score more he's the type of guy you absolutely want on your team because all the other boxes are checked.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
When the Jets traded him to you guys for taking the Mason contract i came on your form and said you guys will like him . Said he was great on the cycle hard to get the puck from and great pker and very good in his own end . I'm glad he has worked out for ya we could have used him on the Jets this last year .
He's certainly well liked around here and is a key role player for the diminutive Habs. The perfect bottom 6 guy basically.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Glad to see the Habs signed Armia he had a great season despite injuries, he showed why he was a 1st round pick, he's rounded out a complete 200 ft. game, a player the coach can rely on in the heavy going. A true playoff type performer as are all the Habs, even Drouin was backchecking last year, if he can learn to backcheck, every player can. I guess that was Julien's point, takes time to play a complete game, even Yzerman had to adjust his game as a Red Wing, when he did Wow, hope it's the same for Johnathan as do all Habs fans I imagine. Go Habs Go!!!...:vhappy::vhappy::vhappy:

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

He's an excellent forchecker, and creates many turnovers.

My only gripe with him is that sometimes, he's also prone to coughing up the puck, with ill advised passes.

Overall, I like the player though.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
He's an excellent forchecker, and creates many turnovers.

My only gripe with him is that sometimes, he's also prone to coughing up the puck, with ill advised passes.

Overall, I like the player though.

There are shades of Eller with Armia as they are both big strong guys with good hands who can hang on to the puck but they make strange decisions sometimes.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Yeah I get man I'm frustrated too, I want this team to get better just like you and the Aho offersheet and all the Duchene talk made me dream bigger than just resigning our own guys.. but 13 in 57 games is not that bad, I think Armia is a very solid 3rd liner and I do think he makes us better. Now he's not enough, but I like the signing still.

We missed him badly when he was injured , in fact our team slumped slightly during that time. He brings a litte "je ne sais quoi" to our team that we obviously need. Doesn't to be quantified well by goal production but it seems we are a better team with him in the lineup.

Reactions: SpeedyPotato

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Great signing.I like watching him keep the puck away from the opposition for minutes at a time.If he had more of a scoring touch he could be a 25 goal guy easily.
I forgot which game it was but I remember the Habs were leading and Armia was in the opposing zone behind the net and basically single handedly killed off time by keeping the puck along the boards and away from the other team. He definitely uses his size and reach to his advantage. If Kotkaniemi can learn that from him watch out.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Great contract. I hope he can get more shots off, he can score 20 if he converts the chances he gets.

What I love about Armia is that while he may not score alot he can eat minutes and wear opponents down. Most importantly, he's a god at puck possession. He was a huge loss when injured.

Reactions: Redux91

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I actually thought they would lock him up for say 3M or so for 4 years but I'm actually glad they didn't. Kotka gets to have him around for 2 years and then we'll see if they should move on or not from him.

Reactions: Redux91

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He was on pace for 19g, 33 points if he had played all the games. 45 pts would be great from a 3rd liner, but i'd expect something more around 30-35 points with 15 goals.

I have his potential close to that as well. 15-20 goals and 30-40 pts. And his ice time will fluctuate cause the Habs roll our lines with others getting more ice time on the PP and PK.

2 years were key with both Lehkonen and Armia and I said this prior to them being signed. The 21 off season is where the Habs need to make decisions on a few players and what direction to take.

I had Armia at $2.25M and Lehkonen at $2M. Their AAV's came in slightly higher than I expected but I'm happy with the 2 year terms.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad