Player Discussion: Joel Armia - Part II

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
Of course he wasn't, thats nonsense. I dont think he played pk even in juniors and definitely did not in FEL, he was defensively player by no means.
I have actually seen all of his games in FEL. Also, according to experts, he was the best defensive forward in 12-13 playoffs. It's a fact. Playing PK doesn't have anything to do with it.

Stavros

Nov 30, 2015
I have actually seen all of his games in FEL. Also, according to experts, he was the best defensive forward in 12-13 playoffs. It's a fact. Playing PK doesn't have anything to do with it.

Zero defense was a bit exaggerated from my part, but he was not anywhere near being best defensive forward or even notably good, he did improve his overall game yes. From that team Niemi, Uusikartano, Sillanpää and Savinainen were clearly better defensively and few others probably too.

arby18

Jun 12, 2010
Saw the famously notoriously negative Jets fan on twitter compare Armia to James Wright. No, just... no. Getting harder to take anything he says seriously.

Loving Armia's play these days.

Is it a subtweet if it doesn't occur on Twitter? :laugh:

To be fair, that "negative Jets fan" compared their scoring touch. Which I guess wasn't a very good comparison after all, since James Wright has higher career 5v5 rates (0.6 to 0.4 P/60)...

:naughty:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Is it a subtweet if it doesn't occur on Twitter? :laugh:

To be fair, that "negative Jets fan" compared their scoring touch. Which I guess wasn't a very good comparison after all, since James Wright has higher career 5v5 rates (0.6 to 0.4 P/60)...

:naughty:

Come on Arby are we really hanging our hat on Armia's scoring touch on his 1st 25 game sample size?

arby18

Jun 12, 2010
Come on Arby are we really hanging our hat on Armia's scoring touch on his 1st 25 game sample size?

Nah, it was a tweet designed to get a reaction. Looks like it worked. :laugh:

Sure, he's looked pretty good of late. But I do think we need to realize that he's not a kid anymore, and the fact that playing with Ladd for a decent while now has not pushed his point production above one James Wright should have us all guarded as to what his future production may look like.

Underlying numbers are solid. Hopefully he starts filling the net. But most importantly, hopefully his lack of production so far is bad luck and not "stone hands" driven like the aforementioned Wright. :)

arby will hang his coat anywhere

How do you know I even own a coat, let alone where I'd hang it? :laugh:

Last edited:

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB

Sure, he's looked pretty good of late. But I do think we need to realize that he's not a kid anymore, and the fact that playing with Ladd for decent while now has not pushed his point production above one James Wright should have us all guarded as to what his future production may look like.

Underlying numbers are solid. Hopefully he starts filling the net. But most importantly, hopefully his lack of production so far is bad luck and not "stone hands" driven like the aforementioned Wright. :)

His hands look pretty good though... gives me reason for optimism regarding his production.

Boxertim

Mar 21, 2014
winnipeg

Sure, he's looked pretty good of late. But I do think we need to realize that he's not a kid anymore, and the fact that playing with Ladd for decent while now has not pushed his point production above one James Wright should have us all guarded as to what his future production may look like.

dang...i hate when a good point stifles my optimism!

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
Tried to be conservative with this kid, just hoping he could make it in the NHL but..I'm starting to get pretty hyped for his future. He's just gotten so much better as the years gone on.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Kid is good. My buddy who played with him said just wait for consistency and youll see a very skilled kid. Most skilled player he played with in AHL, and he played many years.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto

Points are piling up in the last 6 games. ;)

ellismate

Jun 9, 2015
SK
The kid is good. His hands, strength on the puck, head fakes, stick checking, penalty kills, fighting in the corner all seem pretty high level. A part of me thinks he's as good as Wheeler.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
He played a few games, but small minutes, which probably wasn't enough for him to get used to the game. Plus, Sabres last year = :help:

Didn't he have an injury early last season which is why his AHL season didn't go that well either.

One game, I think.

Word from Sabres fans was that he was injured the few times a recall was needed.

Murray also seemed to be pretty careful about exposing Sabres prospects from that, um, team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad