Prospect Info: Joel Armia (2011, 16th) – '14-15: Rochester #33 (AHL) – 2015: Traded to Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesui

Jan 21, 2011
everywhere
Something that tells Armia's improvement in his allround game, is that he's second in amerks -\+ with +5
He's also first in SOG with 51

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
Interview in Finnish, translations:

"Previously I just wasn't good enough physically. My summer training was really good and I got faster. That makes defensive playing easier, you can compensate mistakes with speed. That way I've managed to get a lot of PK time, which is great"

"I have changed my playing style a bit and through that I've started to have success. Hockey here is so different in the end. You have to be more aggresive [etc blah blah]"

"One thing that really changed my game was last summer's training. My skating has moved forward a lot, and when you have fast legs, you get more often into a potential scoring position"

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Always felt he really didn't get much attension after Grigorenko got drafted. It really took a lot of time for Armia to figure out his game even when he had basicly everything you want in a player (hands, skating, size, shot..). The guy has obviously taken giant leaps after last season and is now showing he really is doing his best to fully utilize his talents. Interesting to see if Armia can break out this season or wether to wait until 2015. Everything about him just flashes for 1st line...

Damn, draft more Finns!

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Nice article, not sure if I'm in love with the comparison to Z but can't wait to see this kid up. Once he is, I think he's gonna stay.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Armia continuing to improve makes the wing side of things look healthy going forward. Should be a good test when he gets to the show.

ZeroPT*

Not so sure about that one. Usually you look for your prospects to play about 100 games in the AHL. He'll be there by the end of the season. Not really sure why spending a third season would be best for him or the team? Especially if he's one of the top 3 RWs in the organization (as it stands now he might be #1 by that time :laugh: )

Nothing wrong with (and I hate the term) over-cooking your prospects. Look at Nyquist. He was in grand rapids for what feels like a jail sentence when he was more than capable to play in the NHL.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Nothing wrong with (and I hate the term) over-cooking your prospects. Look at Nyquist. He was in grand rapids for what feels like a jail sentence when he was more than capable to play in the NHL.

I actually think I quoted a post from last season, the board got all weird on me for a minute, hence my attempted deletion. :laugh:

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013

That doesn't mean it was the optimal choice. You could "cook" Patrick Kane in AHL for seven seasons and he would be a star player nevertheless.

You don't gift spots or throw guys in to the fire, but you must provide them the best and most competitive environment for their development.

In case of Nyquist he could simply be a better player by now. But the fact is we don't know for sure.

Zemgod didn't dominate in AHL or he wasn't "more than capable to play in the NHL", but it seems that putting him in to the most competitive environment was the right choice nevertheless.

ZeroPT*

That doesn't mean it was the optimal choice. You could "cook" Patrick Kane in AHL for seven seasons and he would be a star player nevertheless.

You don't gift spots or throw guys in to the fire, but you must provide them the best and most competitive environment for their development.

In case of Nyquist he could simply be a better player by now. But the fact is we don't know for sure.

Zemgod didn't dominate in AHL or he wasn't "more than capable to play in the NHL", but it seems that putting him in to the most competitive environment was the right choice nevertheless.
I never said it was the optimal choice. Just that there was nothing wrong with it. It goes from player to player. Girgensons plays a pro style game which is easier to translate and takes less time to adjust, yet Armia needs time to adjust.
Is Armia injured atm, I dont see his name on the stat sheets?
Yeah he's hurt.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
He seems to miss a big chunk of time from injury every season, going back to his Finland days. Is this going to be a long term problem with him? I guess most of the injuries are unrelated, but does he not protect himself properly or something? Just coincidence/bad luck?

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Man, the praise from Cassidy and Bagnall in that article is borderline effusive. Good to hear.

TM is just as effusive when talking about him. Besides his lackluster training camp, he's been consistently great ever since his hand injury healed. Very exciting to have him ready to join the team permanently soon.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
TM is just as effusive when talking about him. Besides his lackluster training camp, he's been consistently great ever since his hand injury healed. Very exciting to have him ready to join the team permanently soon.

I wonder how much flexibility Murray will have with the roster next season with waiver eligibility, and if Armia will be able to be more than a call-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad