Joe Thornton VS William Nylander

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
You might be right. Thornton might not be as good as Nylander next season. I do think that Thornton's 1509 career points might get him a try out or two playing with Matthews and Tavares.
That's something I wouldn't mind seeing.

Also we as Leafs fans should be excited about having Joe Thornton and he's not a threat to William Nylander.

Reactions: Vaive50

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Thornton would be lucky to play on PP2 at this point, let alone PP1....

Nylander is one of the best young players in the entire league.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
He's not tough, he does not disrupt the goalie, he does not deflect shots like the best in the league, he shows fear of his shadow and defensemen who push him around, and he does not draw penalties from in front of the net.

Crazy that guys who do all that stuff still score less goals from that area than he does. Guess he just got really really lucky all year.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think the Leafs need to unstack the PP and throw out random combinations and looks, especially playing the same teams over and over and over again. Thornton definitely has a role to play in all of this, but I'm not even sure if he was on PP1 in San Jose the past couple of years...

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I think the Leafs need to unstack the PP and throw out random combinations and looks, especially playing the same teams over and over and over again. Thornton definitely has a role to play in all of this, but I'm not even sure if he was on PP1 in San Jose the past couple of years...
Looking at Thornton's stats I don't think he was on the Sharks 1st power play line when you see his numbers.

Joe Thornton Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
If someone is being taken away from PP1 to make space for Jumbo, it will most likely be Marner, not bc Marner sucks but it is bc both of them are pass first player that needs the puck on their stick to be effective.
I would set up AM and Willie on opposite wings and have JT in front of the net and let Jumbo be the QB behind the net, but that will never happen.
That would make the most sense.

However what if the Leafs get a power play in overtime and Keefe wanted to go with 4 Forwards, does he use Marner or Thornton?

The only example of him doing that last season was against Ottawa and it was Marner of all players who shot the puck with a one timer to win the game.

Reactions: Vaive50

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
That would make the most sense.

However what if the Leafs get a power play in overtime and Keefe wanted to go with 4 Forwards, does he use Marner or Thornton?

The only example of him doing that last season was against Ottawa and it was Marner of all players who shot the puck with a one timer to win the game.

That’s a good question.
Would be interesting to see. Have a feeling it will be like Crawford choosing Bourque over Gretzky in the shootout. As long as they win the game, it will be a good move either way. If they lose, everyone will share their ideas.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
That’s a good question.
Would be interesting to see. Have a feeling it will be like Crawford choosing Bourque over Gretzky in the shootout. As long as they win the game, it will be a good move either way. If they lose, everyone will share their ideas.
As long as Matthews, Tavares, and Nylander are three of the Forwards if Keefe wants to use 4 Forwards and not send out Rielly, is there a wrong answer between Marner and Thornton? Plus if they win the game no one will question him on that.

Reactions: Gabriel426

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
I think both Thornton and Simmonds will get Pp time, as will Brodie. That is, assuming we ever get a power play.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I think we'll run two more balanced powerplays. Not much point having guys like Spezza, Thornton and Simmonds on the roster if you aren't giving them PP time, since they aren't traditional bottom-sixers or PK'ers.

Reactions: ottomaddox

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I think we'll run two more balanced powerplays. Not much point having guys like Spezza, Thornton and Simmonds on the roster if you aren't giving them PP time, since they aren't traditional bottom-sixers or PK'ers.
I agree those players should be used more often on the power play when needed. However are you suggesting they go back to what Mike Babcock did and change after 1:00 minute no matter how they are looking on that specific power play?

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I agree those players should be used more often on the power play when needed. However are you suggesting they go back to what Mike Babcock did and change after 1:00 minute no matter how they are looking on that specific power play?

Assuming the puck has been iced and the powerplays are balanced, yes. If we continue to stack PP1, no.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Assuming the puck has been iced and the powerplays are balanced, yes. If we continue to stack PP1, no.
If it's a situation where the puck gets iced and there is 1:00 minute left they should change the line. However as long as their 1st power play line has puck possession they should stay out and not change.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
He's not tough, he does not disrupt the goalie, he does not deflect shots like the best in the league, he shows fear of his shadow and defensemen who push him around, and he does not draw penalties from in front of the net.
Well at least thats cleared up. At least we know this thread was meant to take shots at Nylander. Mods close this up.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
People have eyes though.
Except in this case, your eyes are showing you what you want to see.
Nylander is an elite net front guy whether you want to hear that or not, and is not being replaced by a 41 year old man.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
As long as Matthews, Tavares, and Nylander are three of the Forwards if Keefe wants to use 4 Forwards and not send out Rielly, is there a wrong answer between Marner and Thornton? Plus if they win the game no one will question him on that.
Not really, but as others said, Thornton should just teach Marner to be more deceptive. I personally prefer a stacked unit with the big 4 and Rielly on it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad