Confirmed with Link: Joe Thornton to Leafs [1yr/700k]

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Joe has had such an immense impact on Mitch and Auston. Its very obvious. These guys clearly are having more fun this year than years past. Matthews has a swagger I have not seen ever. If you need proof, look at the goal he scored 2 games ago after the 2 disallowed goals. You can tell he was rallying the boys on his way to the bench, as if to say f*** that noise outside, we got this. I have a hard time believing Joe doesn't play a part in that. For whatever reason, Mitch and Auston tend to gravitate towards the Vets, which is awesome for us. Patty and Joe have been so massive for those 2. More so from an off ice, in between the ears perspective. You can tell they missed their buddy patty last year, who was a bit of a grounding presence for the both of them in the prior 2 seasons. Was thrilled when they brought Joe in this offseason for that reason alone, but I have been blown away at his play. He plays better below the goal line than anyone but Matthews, and that line is just so Dynamic. The chemistry is obvious. Joes strength and vision is still very much there. The biggest detraction from most would be he could not keep up with the big boys in terms of speed. Although that is true in transition, it has not been an issue at all. Matty and Mitch gain the zone by themselves even when Hyman kept up with them stride for stride. Having Joe trail in the play hasn't proved to be a weakness at all. SO happy with my Jumbo Joe jersey purchase pre-season. He is going to be our Ray Bourque, I JUST HAVE A FEELING!..Do it for Joe boys!!

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I was expecting him to be a reliable supporting cast type of player, but he has exceeded my wildest expectations. He is an absolute beast on the boards, he has tremendous vision, and he is just a natural fit on the top line, moreso than Hyman.

What seemed like an odd UFA acquisition at the time could turn out to be the most important off season signing for us this season.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
I was expecting him to be a reliable supporting cast type of player, but he has exceeded my wildest expectations. He is an absolute beast on the boards, he has tremendous vision, and he is just a natural fit on the top line, moreso than Hyman.

What seemed like an odd UFA acquisition at the time could turn out to be the most important off season signing for us this season.
There's a good chance that what Joe is now is what Tavares will be towards the end of his contract.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
There's a good chance that what Joe is now is what Tavares will be towards the end of his contract.

I hope so, but I wouldn't count on it. Joe plays the type of game and has the physical presence that allows him to be very effective at his age. Tavares is a totally different type of player.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Gotta admit with Jumbo and Hyman anchoring our top 2 lines we are a much better team overall ... when Simmonds comes back we got an anchor on 3rd line too ... and then Spezz on 4th line ... wow we are really picked up some great pieces this year ... to me da only thing missing is a big fast strong 3rd line centre who can hold his own in playoff hockey ... imagine a 3rd line of Mik - Sissons - Simmonds ... we become a really really tough out - 3 very large fast immovable forces

audiotunesx

Jul 6, 2006
Joe has had such an immense impact on Mitch and Auston. Its very obvious. These guys clearly are having more fun this year than years past. Matthews has a swagger I have not seen ever. If you need proof, look at the goal he scored 2 games ago after the 2 disallowed goals. You can tell he was rallying the boys on his way to the bench, as if to say f*** that noise outside, we got this. I have a hard time believing Joe doesn't play a part in that. For whatever reason, Mitch and Auston tend to gravitate towards the Vets, which is awesome for us. Patty and Joe have been so massive for those 2. More so from an off ice, in between the ears perspective. You can tell they missed their buddy patty last year, who was a bit of a grounding presence for the both of them in the prior 2 seasons. Was thrilled when they brought Joe in this offseason for that reason alone, but I have been blown away at his play. He plays better below the goal line than anyone but Matthews, and that line is just so Dynamic. The chemistry is obvious. Joes strength and vision is still very much there. The biggest detraction from most would be he could not keep up with the big boys in terms of speed. Although that is true in transition, it has not been an issue at all. Matty and Mitch gain the zone by themselves even when Hyman kept up with them stride for stride. Having Joe trail in the play hasn't proved to be a weakness at all. SO happy with my Jumbo Joe jersey purchase pre-season. He is going to be our Ray Bourque, I JUST HAVE A FEELING!..Do it for Joe boys!!

I've always hoped Matthews would fill the on-ice leadership gap that's missing since Sundin. This year, he's putting the team on his shoulders, scoring timely goals, and giving the positivity/hope. If this is Joe's influence, then good on Dubas for making this happen!

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
he doesnt move around well enough to play center anymore, still moving around ok for the wings, then matthews and marners speed and defense make him look even better

but man he is still a big size presence out there and with plenty of skills left in the tank, does so many little skilled things that lead to chances

Last edited:

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
He just has a knack for making something work. It's so many little things that he just does so well and all of a sudden it's a great chance.

Reactions: unitedstars87

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
I always assumed that he and the other vets they picked up would have a positive impact on the overall perspective of the team, I can't say I was convinced he would be as effective as he has been on the ice. That's not a knock, it was an assumption on my part as I haven't seen him much with him playing on the West coast, my memories of him are from his Bruins years and Team Canada.

Forget the points, I rarely measure a players game to just that metric. I'm referring to his stickiness on the puck and use of his reach and size, along with his commitment to hustling back on D. I always knew he was a playmaker, but his effort extends beyond that. I've stated before that when you see a teammate doing what needs to be done to win, be it hustling back, buzzing around the net, throwing checks, blocking shots or what have you, you look at yourself and ask "what's my excuse"?

Leaf fans should be pleased to see that Joe has pride in his game. He isn't going to fade away as some do simply because he gets older. He could play another five years and I wouldn't be surprised.

Mar 26, 2010
Joe's had such a great impact on Marner and Matthews this season on and off the ice.. You can see it on the ice when they score together. What a great bargain signing.
Yeah, I am really starting to appreciate Jumbo now. The guy is all class and can still play the game.

It also looks like Joe is loving playing in Toronto. He looks re-energized.

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
I always assumed that he and the other vets they picked up would have a positive impact on the overall perspective of the team, I can't say I was convinced he would be as effective as he has been on the ice. That's not a knock, it was an assumption on my part as I haven't seen him much with him playing on the West coast, my memories of him are from his Bruins years and Team Canada.

Forget the points, I rarely measure a players game to just that metric. I'm referring to his stickiness on the puck and use of his reach and size, along with his commitment to hustling back on D. I always knew he was a playmaker, but his effort extends beyond that. I've stated before that when you see a teammate doing what needs to be done to win, be it hustling back, buzzing around the net, throwing checks, blocking shots or what have you, you look at yourself and ask "what's my excuse"?

Leaf fans should be pleased to see that Joe has pride in his game. He isn't going to fade away as some do simply because he gets older. He could play another five years and I wouldn't be surprised.

I think 5 years is a stretch, but I'd honestly love to have him around forever, lol!

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
he doesnt move around well enough to play center anymore, still moving around ok for the wings, then matthews and marners speed and defense make him look even better

but man he is still a big size presence out there and with plenty of skills left in the tank, does so many little skilled things that lead to chances
The thing that still makes Jumbo Joe dangerous is that even at 40, he's still almost impossible to knock off the puck. That plus he still has his vision.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I didn't like him at first, I was probably clouded by the substandard play the Leafs have historically gotten from the shells of great players in the past, but hot damn Thornton is a player and a half.
But the expectations were zero really. Lots have come in the past with massive expectations that they somehow would return to their prime.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00