Confirmed with Link: Joe Thornton to Leafs [1yr/700k]

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020
Dubas has done a lot for this organization, including a Calder cup win (2 weeks after he was hired as Leafs GM). He has been here since 2014. This is his team. He was here before Babcock and Lou. He brought-in Keefe.
Lou left his mark by giving the Leafs 10.8 cap hit to Marleau and Zaitsev.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Dubas has done a lot for this organization, including a Calder cup win (2 weeks after he was hired as Leafs GM). He has been here since 2014. This is his team. He was here before Babcock and Lou. He brought-in Keefe.
Lou left his mark by giving the Leafs 10.8 cap hit to Marleau and Zaitsev.

I don't think we should discount that the turn-around of the club from being a total clown show in the media started with Lou. That's when it started being a prime destination for UFAs and Europeans, which is a big part of where we are today. Dubas is essentially continuing that path that Lou started, and doing it well.

Reactions: Go4soda

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I dont think that article mentioned anywhere that it was infact dubas who made the trade and not hunter or a combination.

It's states pretty clearly that they all discussed it. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make, no GM is "making a trade" by themselves in a closet without consulting the teams of people they employ to help them with those decisions.

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
I don't think we should discount that the turn-around of the club from being a total clown show in the media started with Lou. That's when it started being a prime destination for UFAs and Europeans, which is a big part of where we are today. Dubas is essentially continuing that path that Lou started, and doing it well.
This.
Say what you want about Lou and his cap moves, and it’s all fair. But let’s be real, people have very short memories of what the perception of this team was before Lou. Nobody wanted to come here. It was a place for players who were past their prime or already won and weren’t expecting anything but a pay day. I’ve followed this team since the days when ( not long ago) every time there was a good free agent available, fans weren’t even thinking about the leafs signing them because it was a forgone conclusion they would sign elsewhere. Lou had a big hand in bringing cache and credibility to this team and restoring a professional atmosphere.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
NHL Rumors: Maple Leafs, Canadiens, Hoffman, Duclair, Kane, More - The Hockey Writers

Brian Burke Calls out Maple Leafs for Thornton Addition

There are a lot of people who like the Joe Thornton addition to the Toronto Maple Leafs lineup, but Sportsnet analyst and former NHL GM Brian Burke is not among them. While on the Spittin Chiclets podcast, he said he just doesn’t understand why the Leafs made that move.

bburke.jpg

Brian Burke (Rick Osentoski-US PRESSWIRE)

Said Burke during the podcast:

“So go back to Joe Thornton… this is a rock and a hard place for me because I love Joe Thornton as a player and I like him as a person, I don’t see a fit here this doesn’t make sense to me It doesn’t make sense to me, where is he gonna play? Who is he gonna play with? Whose job is he taking? What kind of look do they have [for] him?”

Burke noted the additions of T.J. Brodie and Wayne Simmonds made sense from a needs perspective but questioned Thornton’s ability to still be effective. He also pointed out that the Leafs already have Jason Spezza, who is filling a similar role.

Reactions: Blowfish

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
NHL Rumors: Maple Leafs, Canadiens, Hoffman, Duclair, Kane, More - The Hockey Writers

There are a lot of people who like the Joe Thornton addition to the Toronto Maple Leafs lineup, but Sportsnet analyst and former NHL GM Brian Burke is not among them. While on the Spittin Chiclets podcast, he said he just doesn’t understand why the Leafs made that move.

bburke.jpg

“So go back to Joe Thornton… this is a rock and a hard place for me because I love Joe Thornton as a player and I like him as a person, I don’t see a fit here this doesn’t make sense to me It doesn’t make sense to me, where is he gonna play? Who is he gonna play with? Whose job is he taking? What kind of look do they have [for] him?”

Burke noted the additions of T.J. Brodie and Wayne Simmonds made sense from a needs perspective but questioned Thornton’s ability to still be effective. He also pointed out that the Leafs already have Jason Spezza, who is filling a similar role.
Roughly translates to "having too many good players is a bad thing"

Something that was never a problem during Burke's time here.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I'll try to find it but Dubas gave an interview with Sportsnet and the Hyman trade was his first trade ever and he talked about how nervous he was. From the recollection it seemed Dubas made the trade.
Didnt know that. Respect for that one

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020
Roughly translates to "having too many good players is a bad thing"

Something that was never a problem during Burke's time here.

This from a GM that thought trading 2 lottery picks when you needed to rebuild and then signed Mike Komisarek was a good idea.
Dubas is doing far better than Burke ever did. Burke was a bust as a GM, and he is so wrong everytime as an analyst (He said cap would be 40 milion this year, what That was never poossible).

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
This from a GM that thought trading 2 lottery picks when you needed to rebuild and then signed Mike Komisarek was a good idea.
Dubas is doing far better than Burke ever did. Burke was a bust as a GM, and he is so wrong everytime as an analyst (He said cap would be 40 milion this year, what That was never poossible).

He said 40 million, because that what the revenue would be equal to in cap space, turns out it will likely be less than 40 million, players will be paying back for years in escrow and a flat cap, if they don’t take the equivalent of a 40 million cap this year.

Which would you prefer, paying back the money over 4-5 years with big escrow and flat cap,
Or players take the hit this year and for last years shortfall, and play for the equivalent of what HRR is this year, and allow the future years to grow.

I take the hit this year, and you?

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
The most insidious thing about former stars like Spezza and Thornton is that they'll still flash their mad skills while possibly being boat anchors on the team's overall performance. It can fool the eyes. "Hey, Jumbo Joe got close to 30 points averaging 10 minutes of ice time! Only a fool would criticize the outcome of this kind of league minimum signing!" Meanwhile the coach lacks the necessary team composition to counter any opposition that doesn't want to play pond hockey.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

bburke.jpg

I never really saw the fit either, but it's 700k so who cares? If he's just the fifth center, it's better and cheaper than the Goat.

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020
He said 40 million, because that what the revenue would be equal to in cap space, turns out it will likely be less than 40 million, players will be paying back for years in escrow and a flat cap, if they don’t take the equivalent of a 40 million cap this year.

Which would you prefer, paying back the money over 4-5 years with big escrow and flat cap,
Or players take the hit this year and for last years shortfall, and play for the equivalent of what HRR is this year, and allow the future years to grow.

I take the hit this year, and you?

He meant the cap would be 40 million total. He was being serious. It was ridiculous and embarrassing "Prediction".

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
He meant the cap would be 40 million total. He was being serious. It was ridiculous and embarrassing "Prediction".

I know what he meant, did you read what I said, It is basically what I wrote, its the equivalent of having no escrow this year. So in that regard he probably underestimated.

I'll ask again since you didn't answer question, what would your answer be?

Last edited:

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020
I know what he meant, did you read what I said, It is basically what I wrote, its the equivalent of having no escrow this year. So in that regard he probably underestimated.

I'll ask again since you didn't answer question, what would your answer be?

How is it the eqivalent? That's not what he meant at all. I heard his interview. You're going way off topic here. It's nothing to do with what he said.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
How is it the eqivalent? That's not what he meant at all. I heard his interview.

I know , I HEARD the interview, but its still works out to having a 50% escrow.

I guess you just don't want to answer a simple question, since you keep sidetracking, its not a hard question.

1) take the full escrow hit this year, 50% or more, and get back to close to normalcy 20/21.

2) Amortize it over the next 5 years, and have a flat cap, during that time.

I'm going with option 1.

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020
I know , I HEARD the interview, but its still works out to having a 50% escrow.

I guess you just don't want to answer a simple question, since you keep sidetracking, its not a hard question.

1) take the full escrow hit this year, 50% or more, and get back to close to normalcy 20/21.

2) Amortize it over the next 5 years, and have a flat cap, during that time.

I'm going with option 1.
So you're saying Burke was right?

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Ideally I'd like to see a third line of Kerfoot - Thornton - Mikheyev. I think playing with a player like Thornton can do wonders for Mikheyev with his speed and release.

Reactions: exporta

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->