Confirmed with Link: Joe Thornton to Leafs [1yr/700k]

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Keefe on Joe Thornton:
He is a very versatile guy that we think can play anywhere in our lineup depending on what we need or what’s happening. With him coming here he’s going to be an important piece of our team. He’s coming here for a reason and we’re bringing him for a reason. We’re really excited to bring in somebody with his experience, his energy and the passion that he still has for the game. So, no matter where he plays he’s going to bring a lot to us and we’re excited about that and I know our players are as well.”

https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2020/11/29/kyle-dubas-on-morgan-rielly-leadership-and-11f-7d/

Reactions: qqaz

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
So you're saying Burke was right?

It's not a tough question, forget about Burke, who cares.

I'll ask for the third or fourth time, how would you like to see the escrow paid back
Now or later.

From the Leafs perspective, its better to pay now, so the cap can increase in the future.
Dubas would have to dump more, or not renew some players if flat cap for 4-5 years.

Last edited:

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020
It's not a tough question, forget about Burke, who cares.

I'll ask for the third or fourth time, how would you like to see the escrow paid back
Now or later.

From the Leafs perspective, its better to pay now, so the cap can increase in the future.
Dubas would have to dump more, or not renew some players if flat cap for 4-5 years.
IT's so far from the point,. I really don't care. He was insane to think 40 million would be the number.

2legit2quit

Oct 27, 2017
Joe Thornton is currently playing in Swiss-A for Davos HC.

He has 5 g, 5a for 10 points in 9 games.

At 41 years old I still think he's got a lot of gas left in the tank. He wants to win a cup really badly, come playoff time, don't be surprised if Thornton comes up clutch and puts up numbers.

Reactions: Clark4Ever

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Joe Thornton is currently playing in Swiss-A for Davos HC.

He has 5 g, 5a for 10 points in 9 games.

At 41 years old I still think he's got a lot of gas left in the tank. He wants to win a cup really badly, come playoff time, don't be surprised if Thornton comes up clutch and puts up numbers.

I like the signing. But why didn't he ever come up clutch and put up numbers in the playoffs for SJ?

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
He is still a 0.74 PPG player in the playoffs for his career. Some guys just never have that massive year like Kessel or Couture.

Yea, playoffs are small enough sample that it can be a real crapshoot. My point is mostly that I don't think there is any reality to this romance that he's really hungry for a cup and thus will be some kind of monster for us in the playoffs. He'll be a 41yr old version of Thornton, his ice time and production will reflect it, and that's pretty great at league min.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Dubas needs to be fired.

We are now a Wayne Simmonds injury away from having BY FAR the worst, slowest 3rd line in the league.

How you like Joe Thornton now, @mikeyz?

Hopefully it is cheap and works. Guy is slow and old. Past his prime and outside of leadership he doesnt bring a lot to the team. Would rather have a young player with a future get a chance.

Swing and a miss, phillipmike.

$700k, nobody should be complaining about that.

Nailed it Fogel, just like you usually do :)

No risk, huge reward.

Worst case we trade him back to SJ for nothing. Best case he has a Spezza-like season.

Really couldn't understand why people didn't want him. Easily a better deal than Simmonds.

Good call Morgsy!

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
He’s crazy good value at $700K. The first few games, I wasn’t sure about him with Mathews/Marner, thought he should play in the bottom 6, but he’s really started to gel with them, the line looks great.

Getting a guy who’s a good fit on our top line for this price was an incredible steal for Dubas, especially after the flat COVID cap left us in such a tough spot.

Reactions: Critical13

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
I'm still trying to temper my personal expectations of him being super impactful on the first line until he plays tougher teams. Regardless, he's was a great value signing.

Also - isn't he much faster than people said he'd be? I think the move to wing means he doesn't have to cover so much ice, and allows him to expend his energy for bursts of jump.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
He’s crazy good value at $700K. The first few games, I wasn’t sure about him with Mathews/Marner, thought he should play in the bottom 6, but he’s really started to gel with them, the line looks great.

Getting a guy who’s a good fit on our top line for this price was an incredible steal for Dubas, especially after the flat COVID cap left us in such a tough spot.
Now let's hope they return Marner to the line because those 3 are dominant thus far, you cannot break that up.

Reactions: ponder

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2