Confirmed with Link: Joe Thornton to Leafs [1yr/700k]

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I always laugh whenever I read other teams boards and out of the blue a fan of the San Jose Shark or something will express extreme vitriol towards the Toronto Maple Leafs or the fanbase. Like it's cute they're mimicking other fanbases that might have some kind of reason to dislike Toronto, but how on earth can 2 regular season games a year generate that kind of heat?

I grew up watching the Leafs on the old Black and White TV hoping the tubes didn't let go while the game was on. Leafs will always be #1. But, this might sound kind of dumb, but I like some other clubs from owning that team in a Strat-O-Matic or fantasy hockey league. These forums are like getting put into prison and you're just saying hello not knowing you're about to get shanked for having the wrong skin colour or something.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I always laugh whenever I read other teams boards and out of the blue a fan of the San Jose Shark or something will express extreme vitriol towards the Toronto Maple Leafs or the fanbase. Like it's cute they're mimicking other fanbases that might have some kind of reason to dislike Toronto, but how on earth can 2 regular season games a year generate that kind of heat?

It must be sour grapes from our playoff series against them in 1994.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Irbe, his 1970's equipment and his unorthodox style was a hard nut to crack.

San Jose was basically one line with Larianov and Makarov. And 21 yo Sandis Ozolinsh was an amazing talent, skated like Jake Gardiner produced like Ray Bourque.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
How many kids grow up idolize a coach or a GM versus a star player?
I still feel the player wins there

I doubt it's less that, and more Lamoriello didn't let them have any sort of character, while Babcock tried manipulating the dressing room.

If it's true that a bunch of players pushed Thornton to sign with us (I believe Tavares, Marner,and Matthews were the main 3 mentioned) well, now they have Thornton's legacy on their hands.

Now, we are talking about a team that didn't show up to Tavares return to long island, or Kasimir Kaskisuo's emergency NHL debut, or other key games that the room should show up for, so who knows :laugh:

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
LOL...sense of urgency to UFA status for more money...there's a reason why the 3 kids didn't give the Leafs max term without cutting off Dubas' arms and legs so they could hit UFA status earlier to get more money. If they don't wake up and realize the sacrifice needed to win a Cup, they'll at least wake up as UFAs in several years with nothing to show for except asking for more money. I'm looking forward to the coming season to hopefully see more growth and maturity.
This guess work just says hey I want to make your day bad. Why else would you want to spoil tomorrows future for today's. When you're not even in control of any of it?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I doubt it's less that, and more Lamoriello didn't let them have any sort of character, while Babcock tried manipulating the dressing room.

If it's true that a bunch of players pushed Thornton to sign with us (I believe Tavares, Marner,and Matthews were the main 3 mentioned) well, now they have Thornton's legacy on their hands.

Now, we are talking about a team that didn't show up to Tavares return to long island, or Kasimir Kaskisuo's emergency NHL debut, or other key games that the room should show up for, so who knows :laugh:

Adding a number of new veteran faces to the lineup will help alter the team culture. The way Dubas himself described the Leafs as being passive and willing to let the other team dictate the play in to them since 2016-17 is a telling comment that says a lot about the personalities we have. Maybe the core group just doesn't have the Type A personalities required up to this point in their development.

Reactions: egd27

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

Ya still a crap shoot but I think JT (Joe) is way more vocal and flamboyant that JT (John).
Also Joe might have that wookie effect and scare the kids in line hahahaha

Edit
At this point even Tavares would look up to Joe as JT Jr started his career afte JT Sr and was his winger at the Olympics iirc

Last edited:

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Have you heard the slagging of Nickleback for the last 10 years ? :) Partly its just a train people get on. One actual thing about the boards has to be the Leafs are the most heavily represented so there are more posts on other boards like "Leafs fan coming in peace. Would your club accept some of our scrubs for a core player,?" with a detailed explanation of what said scrubs could do for the other team ignoring why they aren't worth keeping for the Leafs. All the busy boards do it, we just do it more. Add the crazy clickbait pronouncements from Canadian sports jocks that get posted about how the club may be looking at sniping another teams best guy end up linked on HFboards. For those who spend time on twitter our spreaders of the word are also the most common there and as with all social media, uninformed people probably like to spew their ideas regardless of if anyone wants to hear them. Somebody has to supply most of the posts that generate mod warnings and I guess we are #1!

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Hope Thornton can unlock Matthews' play making skill as well. Matthews' is an elite passer, but I think he can learn a lot from Thornton.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Hope Thornton can unlock Matthews' play making skill as well. Matthews' is an elite passer, but I think he can learn a lot from Thornton.
He is but being an elite playmaker requires an overall vision of the ice that I don’t believe Matthews has compared to a guy like Thornton.

Besides, I’d prefer he shoot the puck in most instances rather than pass. Numerous games watching Jumbo I’d be yelling at the TV to “shoot the puck!” when he’s got an opening and instead he’s passing to guys that aren’t open. Matthews shot is heavy but he also times it so goalies aren’t ready in most instances. I’d love to see him do a head fake on a shot and whip a cross crease pass for a tap-in now and then, but mostly I’d rather him take the shot and if it’s saved let someone else bury a rebound or whatever

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He is but being an elite playmaker requires an overall vision of the ice that I don’t believe Matthews has compared to a guy like Thornton.

Besides, I’d prefer he shoot the puck in most instances rather than pass. Numerous games watching Jumbo I’d be yelling at the TV to “shoot the puck!” when he’s got an opening and instead he’s passing to guys that aren’t open. Matthews shot is heavy but he also times it so goalies aren’t ready in most instances. I’d love to see him do a head fake on a shot and whip a cross crease pass for a tap-in now and then, but mostly I’d rather him take the shot and if it’s saved let someone else bury a rebound or whatever

Matthews is elite everything so it's not like he's going to be a poor playmaker or have significant drop off in some aspects of his game, particularly when it comes to offensive categories. But when he's such a natural goal scorer, it's not imperative that he has a pass first mentality of most centermen, because even when teams know the shot is coming, it's still going in the net.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Matthews is elite everything so it's not like he's going to be a poor playmaker or have significant drop off in some aspects of his game, particularly when it comes to offensive categories. But when he's such a natural goal scorer, it's not imperative that he has a pass first mentality of most centermen, because even when teams know the shot is coming, it's still going in the net.
This is a curious comment. Why you you think Matthews is elite everything? I like AM but this isnt true.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I’m a Leafs fan, but I live in Vancouver, so watch plenty of SJ games. IMO he’s still surprisingly good for a 41 year old, I’d rank him a small notch above Spezza, who has been quite good for us. I expect him to be our 3C, personally.
I wouldn't be surprised if this happened. He seems very motivated to be playing on a good team. If he can take the 3C and elevate Kerfoot at even strength and help run a PP unit it'll be a huge win.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Wheeler reviewed all 6 games of Thornton this season with Davos
Here is what he says.
The skills that made him effective are still there. His patience, poise, protecting the puck and playmaking. The tunnel vision stuff hasn't set in.
While his skating has regressed, but he has been good when playing with faster players. He thinks he could be effective with someone like Mikheyev.

Reactions: ottomaddox

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad