Confirmed with Link: Joe Thornton to Leafs [1yr/700k]

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
My opinion doesn't change Marleau's great career (unless you see it as a bad career therefore it's an opinion). Also they give Team Canada head coaching jobs to the worst coaches right?
You live in the past
Great career bad signing no matter how you spin it

Strangle

May 4, 2009
If you're insinuating this situation is the same as Marleau's was, you're wrong.

1) marleau was playing in our top 6
2) marleau was making 6m dollars
3) marleau seemed more concerned with maintaining his ironman streak than actually being rested
4) Thornton was never fast. He never needed to be

This seems to be lost on people here.

the reasons Marleau was criticized was because of his cap hit, production and usage.

we aren’t assuming Thornton is going to produce like a $6m player, his cap hit is $700k for 1 year, and we don’t think he will be on the ice instead of the core of the team.

If we had Marleau playing 4th line minutes for league minimum fans would have loved what he brought to the team.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I hope Jumbo can make them realize that they have all the money in the world and that it's time to build a legacy by winning a cup(s). Then people will truly remember them in a positive light.

If anything, I hope Joe Thornton and Jason Spezza can impart on how fleeting it can be for even great players to win in this league.

Both guys were sort of on Teams of Destiny for many years and here we are a decade later and they're still cup less. When Thornton and the Sharks were in their heyday I thought for sure they would win a cup one of these years, but it never happened. They went to the finals unexpectedly a few years ago and didn't have enough gas left in the tank. They took too long to get over the hump. In Ottawa, the Senators were a quality young powerhouse. They missed their one shot in 2007 and never got back.

If our kids can develop a sense of urgency and realize they don't have all the time in the world they'll be in a better mental head space to seriously challenge for that cup.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Its amazing how much hate there is for babcock around here.

Our last 25 games under keefe we were playing .500 hockey.

Babs was not the problem.
Funny how you always seem to ignore the fact that half our defense was out due to injury, 2 of our top 9 forwards were out due to injury and our starting goalie playing some of his worst hockey of his career.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Its amazing how much hate there is for babcock around here.

Our last 25 games under keefe we were playing .500 hockey.

Babs was not the problem.

The major injuries on the blueline?? The best stretch of games we had of the season before that stretch of .500 hockey?? The team heading straight for a bottom-10 finish under Babcock??

You know you can still hold your current opinions but actually be fair and objective about things right?

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
If anything, I hope Joe Thornton and Jason Spezza can impart on how fleeting it can be for even great players to win in this league.

Both guys were sort of on Teams of Destiny for many years and here we are a decade later and they're still cup less. When Thornton and the Sharks were in their heyday I thought for sure they would win a cup one of these years, but it never happened. They went to the finals unexpectedly a few years ago and didn't have enough gas left in the tank. They took too long to get over the hump. In Ottawa, the Senators were a quality young powerhouse. They missed their one shot in 2007 and never got back.

If our kids can develop a sense of urgency and realize they don't have all the time in the world they'll be in a better mental head space to seriously challenge for that cup.

LOL...sense of urgency to UFA status for more money...there's a reason why the 3 kids didn't give the Leafs max term without cutting off Dubas' arms and legs so they could hit UFA status earlier to get more money. If they don't wake up and realize the sacrifice needed to win a Cup, they'll at least wake up as UFAs in several years with nothing to show for except asking for more money. I'm looking forward to the coming season to hopefully see more growth and maturity.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
LOL...sense of urgency to UFA status for more money...there's a reason why the 3 kids didn't give the Leafs max term without cutting off Dubas' arms and legs so they could hit UFA status earlier to get more money. If they don't wake up and realize the sacrifice needed to win a Cup, they'll at least wake up as UFAs in several years with nothing to show for except asking for more money. I'm looking forward to the coming season to hopefully see more growth and maturity.

What was Matthews demanding on an 8 year term again? Like 14 million or something absurd like that? Marner was obviously demanding something similar too.

But it's ok, they "worked with Dubas" to "keep the group together" :laugh:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

If the kids are who they think they are and who we hope they are, they'll need to back it up with real tangible success in the playoffs in the next few seasons, learning as much as they can from Spezza and Thornton.

The hockey world starts to really scrutinize big scorers in their mid to late 20s who don't have playoff success. Sometimes they deliver eventually like an Ovechkin, but look at those Heatley Kovalchuk types.

Reactions: Superstar

SoftDumpNtheCorner88

Jul 5, 2020
I love jumbo and actually think he will be a good really good fit and see him jumping up and down the line up with rest days here and there ... I feel (hope) he comes into this season with extra jump in his stride and some edge, I know he's 41 though.. how is he looking with the euro team he's playing with now? Any resurgence in his game (not talking about points but okay style) is he logging good minutes? Or just using using them to keep his body warm come season time?

middletoe

Why am I me?
Nov 5, 2008
Northern Ontario
This is good for Marner I think. It’s good for all of them. I’d most like to see Marner with Thornton though. Mash those brains together. A little magic there wouldn’t surprise me.

I’d have Thornton in the top group of pp guys as well. Having time and space is where he’s been elite.

This is a star driven team. I don’t think that’s easy to do, at least not to this level. As a viewer that likes watching high-end skill, I like this.

And I want to see him top 6 with load management.

I hope I’m not asking for too much.

Last edited:

Twowingcantfly

Jul 4, 2019
Conclusion: This is entertainment. We love watching our team, no matter who is playing.
Super line is like LOL. Sounds more like hide your mistake on the top line.
We all see what it takes to win in the playoffs. The number one ingredient
missing on this team is grit. We are soft up and down this line up. The two
players willing to get dirty traded away in back to back off seasons.
ENTERTAINMENT folks. That's what it is. Go Leafs Go.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Will be interesting to see how a younger making 7/8 digits reacts to a senior on a one year deal, making less than an 18 year old Robertson, "calling" them out. Good for Joe if he can get through to them.
He is a future HOFer. It doesn't matter what money he makes. His body of work speaks volumes.
Legendary status

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
He is a future HOFer. It doesn't matter what money he makes. His body of work speaks volumes.
Legendary status
As of 2018, his net worth was reported at 80MM US. Pretty sure he doesn't stay at the motel 6 when he is on vacation.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
As of 2018, his net worth was reported at 80MM US. Pretty sure he doesn't stay at the motel 6 when he is on vacation.
He seems pretty eccentric. Maybe motel 6 is his kink :dunno:
Either way I think his status as a hockey HOFer will have more weight than his net worth

Spargon

May 31, 2019
The fact this signing has generated a 34 pages thread here and PART 2 on the main boards is just really sad. He's our Paul Coffey or Paul Kariya, cheap 1 year deals with teams they think have the best chance to win and give it one last kick at the can.

Why anyone has delusions or trying to spin that we think we are getting prime 90+ pts Joe Thornton who will play in the top of the lineup I don't know. The Leafs have a looong history of signing big names at the ends of the careers.

Reactions: egd27

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
The fact this signing has generated a 34 pages thread here and PART 2 on the main boards is just really sad. He's our Paul Coffey or Paul Kariya, cheap 1 year deals with teams they think have the best chance to win and give it one last kick at the can.

Why anyone has delusions or trying to spin that we think we are getting prime 90+ pts Joe Thornton who will play in the top of the lineup I don't know. The Leafs have a looong history of signing big names at the ends of the careers.

Hint. It has nothing to do with the player.

heck Joey crabb could come out of retirement and get more threads than Vegas signing Petro. People here are obsessed with the leafs.

fans of other teams more than anyone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad