Joe Thornton passes Teemu Selanne in all-time scoring

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
Legend. If the Caps are out, I’ll be pulling for him to get one.

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
Living legend. People thought he was done but the old guy just seems to be getting better and better this season on the 3rd line.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Slap

Sep 28, 2017
Would be interested to see who would win a poll for better player in their prime: Thornton or Selanne. Or even Thornton or Iginla.
Hard to compare a center to wingers but I'd say he is pretty close with Selanne and a bit better than Iginla.

Mountlaine

Feb 8, 2018
And Selanne played more years in a higher scoring environment though
Selanne also played in a worse era. 40 year old Selanne finished 8th in points. Thornton is now 39 and he's 139th in points.

Joking aside, gratz Thornton. Amazing player and a great career. I hope he wins the Cup with the Sharks if my team doesn't win.

Reactions: drs151

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
And Selanne played more years in a higher scoring environment though
Selanne lost the first 4 seasons of his career, since he entered the NHL after turning 22. But Thornton was mismanaged in his Boston Days. But on the other hand Selanne went through 3 lockouts, while being mismanaged towards the end of his career. But then again Thornton is being buried right now and will have yet another lockout to go through in a few years... Must admit, it's close no matter how you look at it.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Congrats to Thornton, one of the better players of this era. As a Sharks fan and a hockey fan I'd like to see Thornton win the Cup this yr.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Selanne lost the first 4 seasons of his career, since he entered the NHL after turning 22. But Thornton was mismanaged in his Boston Days. But on the other hand Selanne went through 3 lockouts, while being mismanaged towards the end of his career. But then again Thornton is being buried right now and will have yet another lockout to go through in a few years... Must admit, it's close no matter how you look at it.
And Thornton missed 116 games to lockouts himself....

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
As neutral fan I have no interest in a pissing contest between the two. They are both awesome and seeing stats like this from age old players is just great for the game regardless. Congrats to him, hes one of the best at what he does. Curious to see if Getzlaf can stack up similarly when all is said and done?

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
As neutral fan I have no interest in a pissing contest between the two. They are both awesome and seeing stats like this from age old players is just great for the game regardless. Congrats to him, hes one of the best at what he does. Curious to see if Getzlaf can stack up similarly when all is said and done?

He can’t.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad