Joe Thornton passes Teemu Selanne in all-time scoring

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Why though? Jumbo was once recognized as the MVP. Selanne came close but no cigar. Their peaks were very similar and both have outstanding longevity. Both are all-time greats who don't come around too often.
Sure its close you might be right .

Slap

Sep 28, 2017
Sure its close you might be right .
I think it's the loser tag that's fooling everyone. Selanne wasn't a game breaker when he won but he won nevertheless. If Thornton wins his legacy will be viewed differently.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
For a pass first player that's a fine number. No one ever gives Peter Forsberg **** for not scoring goals. What gives?

Actually people do that all the time.
That said Forsberg scored at a way higher rate in the playoffs, while Thornton is considered a playoff choker by most.

Honestly I am quite the sucker for longveity and would have a hard time choosing between the two, I prefer Forsberg for style and per game impact easily but durability counts. (Playoffs are obviously not close) They are both slightly ahead of Selänne in my book.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
The numbers weren't better. It was just a different time in point production.
You're entitled to have your opinion but to me they are very close.

The numbers at their best were similar but Dionne was at that level for longer. Top 2 in points 4 times. Top 5 in points 9 times.

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
Thornton used to get so much hate on this board for being a playoff choker

What changed? When did he start getting the respect he deserves ?

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Prime elias playoff over jumbo joe qll day

125 points in 162 games.
123 points in 160 games.

21 points in 24 games.
23 points in 25 games.

Doesn't look to be that different at all. Not thorntons fault he didn't get carried by 2 hall of fame defensemen and one of the best or the best goalies of all time depending on who you ask.

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
Thornton versus Elias is mostly preference between an Adam Oates/Henrik Sedin type player or a Kirk Muller/Henrik Zetterberg type player, and a lot of that will be about team composition and need. If I'm blessed with offense already, you take the two way forward. If you're cursed offensively, you take the playmaker.

I'd also back up what someone said about team quality in this comparison; Joe Thornton has always been the best or second best player on his team while Patrik Elias was never top three until after the lockout.

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
He is so put off by not winning a cup that he refuses to shave his playoff beard. Won't shave until he wins that cup!

Combat Koala

Tough buildings never die
Oct 29, 2014
Congrats to Joe for that. One of the best passers of all time. I'd really love to see him win a cup before he retires.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
That said Forsberg scored at a way higher rate in the playoffs, while Thornton is considered a playoff choker by most.

Honestly I am quite the sucker for longveity and would have a hard time choosing between the two, I prefer Forsberg for style and per game impact easily but durability counts. (Playoffs are obviously not close) They are both slightly ahead of Selänne in my book.
Nope. Only considered a choker by idiots, not most.

Reactions: GreatGonzo

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016

Selanne was an elite player between 1992-2011. Only one or two lackluster seasons in that span.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Selanne was an elite player between 1992-2011. Only one or two lackluster seasons in that span.
Which happened to occur as a Shark (because of course).

He was damaged goods in San Jose. I don't think the lost season helped any player more than Selanne tbh

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Salami was trash here.

I think Jumbo's peak was higher than selannee but selannee probably maintained his peak a bit longer. We were also robbed of almost 2 seasons of Jumbo's peak which is probably something like 175 points

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Many forget that Thornton was a top center before ‘06. He was a 2nd team AS center in ‘03 while finishing 3rd in points and 2nd in assists. Before that, he had 68 points in 66 games and 71 points in 72 games respectively at 21 and 22 years old. Even in ‘04, he had 73 points in 77 games and finished 6th in points and 5th in assists among centers while receiving 3rd team AS honors.

He was very much a top center on the rise. Many forget just how good he was before he hit his peak. From ‘01-‘04 he sits 4th in points and assists among all players while being 2nd in points and 3rd in assists among all centers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad