Joe Thornton passes Teemu Selanne in all-time scoring

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
And Thornton missed 116 games to lockouts himself....
Yeah, and he'll soon miss more. When Toews', Eichel's and Nylander's deals give us yet another new lockout... Hopefully Thornton won't retire because of it. Still think he could have 4-5 solid years of hockey left in him.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Teemu Selanne is on a level reserved for the great players. It's a level Joe Thronton won't ever reach.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
And Selanne played more years in a higher scoring environment though

To put in context.

Teams average goal by game during is career (weight by game played by season)
Selanne: 2.862
Thorton: 2.777

3% more goal during Selanne time (he missed a lot of games in 93-94, 94-95 and still played is prime mostly in the dead puck era).

Reactions: drs151

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Congrats Jumbo Joe!

He won't crack the top-10 in all likelihood, unless he has a strong finish this year and plays two more years at a ~60 point clip, but inside the top-15 is an incredible accomplishment. He likely passes Mikita (RIP) this year as well, only needs 10 more points.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Yeah, and he'll soon miss more. When Toews', Eichel's and Nylander's deals give us yet another new lockout... Hopefully Thornton won't retire because of it. Still think he could have 4-5 solid years of hockey left in him.
If he wants to. No one works harder on staying in shape than Jumbo.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Dionne has one more top 10 scoring season and two Lindsay's.
Jumbo faced stiffer competition and has a Heart. They're very close.

Did he, though?

Dionne played through the juggernaut Habs dynasties, and then the Isles, and then Gretzky. Tough to compete against legends like that.

I just feel like Dionne, overall, faced stiffer competition AND put up better numbers......although I say this with full knowledge that he retired when I was six and before I'd gained any sort of appreciation for his style of play.

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
Rooting for him this year. Guy would whip his rooster out if he scored 4 in a game, imagine what he’ll do if he wins a cup!

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I don't think so either but they are players of a similar ilk and I think Getz will last in the league like Thornton did.

I mean their PPG is eerily similar isn't it?

Getzlaf has been in the league for 14 seasons. Is 33 years old. And has played 968 games with 911 points.

Thornton after his 14th season. Had 1077 games played. And 1078 points. And was 32.

Getzlaf has a far far way to go just to reach thorntons 32 year old self. Let alone the 39 year old thornton.

Slap

Sep 28, 2017
Did he, though?

Dionne played through the juggernaut Habs dynasties, and then the Isles, and then Gretzky. Tough to compete against legends like that.

I just feel like Dionne, overall, faced stiffer competition AND put up better numbers......although I say this with full knowledge that he retired when I was six and before I'd gained any sort of appreciation for his style of play.
The numbers weren't better. It was just a different time in point production.
You're entitled to have your opinion but to me they are very close.

Slap

Sep 28, 2017
Teemu Selanne is on a level reserved for the great players. It's a level Joe Thronton won't ever reach.
Why though? Jumbo was once recognized as the MVP. Selanne came close but no cigar. Their peaks were very similar and both have outstanding longevity. Both are all-time greats who don't come around too often.

Reactions: Clowe Me and Plural

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Why though? Jumbo was once recognized as the MVP. Selanne came close but no cigar. Their peaks were very similar and both have outstanding longevity. Both are all-time greats who don't come around too often.

Maybe because 400 career goals aren't so impressive for a forward with such longevity.

Slap

Sep 28, 2017
Maybe because 400 career goals aren't so impressive for a forward with such longevity.
For a pass first player that's a fine number. No one ever gives Peter Forsberg shit for not scoring goals. What gives?

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I doubt that Forsberg would be rated as highly as he is either if he didn't have a couple of cups. Thornton will be remembered as a great passer, but what else?

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I doubt that Forsberg would be rated as highly as he is either if he didn't have a couple of cups. Thornton will be remembered as a great passer, but what else?

thornton when its all said and done could potentially be 5th all time in assists. thats not just great. that is an all time great.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Yeah, but he's not NHL Top 100, so who cares...

Thorton is tin man

One word: Regular Season.

wow.... 15th? :mad:

have shirts made

Don't need to bother. Joe wouldn't wear one.

760105ff08af5e7eb26700ef9741e0aa

Reactions: Clowe Me

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->