Joe Thornton appreciation thread

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Even as thorntons biggest fan here this still made me laugh.

Thornton 1st line winger on the leafs. Will be lining up with mathews and marner.

Chaotic8

Boarding Major
May 3, 2010
Livermore, CA
In some crazy fashion I can see it working. Sure the big guy has lost a step or 5, but his passing game is still amongst the best. Let the kids take the rush, old man Jumbo lumbers in and works the corners. It'll be in interesting dynamic that's for sure.

Reactions: Sandisfan

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
Thornton comes back from injury and scores and adds a assist in a period and a half.

As much as I wanted him to stay with the Sharks, I am glad for his sake he moved on and will get to play more meaningful games in his career and have a shot at a Stanley Cup. It would be a tragedy to have him finish is career in San Jose with the way the team is right now.

Reactions: fasterthanlight

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
As much as I wanted him to stay with the Sharks, I am glad for his sake he moved on and will get to play more meaningful games in his career and have a shot at a Stanley Cup. It would be a tragedy to have him finish is career in San Jose with the way the team is right now.

Agreed. Just wish he had gone to a team that i can actually cheer for.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Jumbo has still got it.

He's still got it but playing with Matthews and Marner seems to have given him lots of motivation and youthful enthusiasm. He wouldn't be putting up the same production in SJ if he were with Hertl and Labanc for instance.

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
He's still got it but playing with Matthews and Marner seems to have given him lots of motivation and youthful enthusiasm. He wouldn't be putting up the same production in SJ if he were with Hertl and Labanc for instance.

Which makes you wonder if the last couple years has been Thornton just not having it anymore or him just not having much talent around him.

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
Which makes you wonder if the last couple years has been Thornton just not having it anymore or him just not having much talent around him.
It was a bit of both. His skating is shot and he can no longer carry a line. But Mathews and Marner are better than anyone on our team. They carry the line and draw focus allowing Jumbo to just do his setup thing. The majority of his shifts start in the o zone. I guess I know what time I'm rooting for once we get eliminated.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
It was a bit of both. His skating is shot and he can no longer carry a line. But Mathews and Marner are better than anyone on our team. They carry the line and draw focus allowing Jumbo to just do his setup thing. The majority of his shifts start in the o zone. I guess I know what time I'm rooting for once we get eliminated.

He showed it last year that he still could contribute good numbers when couture and hertl went down and he became a top 6 center again and was taken away from sorrenson and the other garbage he was with.

Reactions: Alwalys and seroes

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017

True, but it was only two years ago he was .70 PPG playing 3rd line and PP, though on a better and deeper team. Leafs fans should have expected him to mesh well with Matthews and Marner - after all his playmaking and vision doesn't go away with age. I wonder how Marleau would do if he played alongside Marchand and Pastrnak for example.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
I like jumbo so much that the leafs could reverse sweep the sharks in the finals with jumbo scoring the cup-winning goal in OT of game 7 and I wouldn't even be mad

Ok I'd be a little mad

Jwec

Dec 21, 2015
Finland
Acting like Thornton wanted to sign here. The team isn't a cup contender and he wanted his possible final year in the league to be in the postseason.
The way he is playing this won't be his final year tho. But I doubt he would return to San Jose as a player. He will probably re-sign with Leafs next summer.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
The way he is playing this won't be his final year tho. But I doubt he would return to San Jose as a player. He will probably re-sign with Leafs next summer.
Jumbo will be putting up points next to those two until hes 50

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
amazing what getting out from under a loser like wilson can do for a player
Really shows how bad our forward core is when Thornton and pavelski flourish after leaving it. We literally have zero gamebreakers in the position just a ton of complementary players who can't drive their own line. Hertl used to be that but he hasnt shown it and he was never in the class of a guy like Mathews or marner.

Reactions: FunkyPhin

FunkyPhin

Feb 2, 2011
Vancouver
Thornton is by far my favourite hockey player ever. I am so f***ing happy he's tearing it up with the leafs, I wish him nothing but success and hope they win a cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad