Joe Sakic - Record as Colorado Avalanche GM - Part III (Updates in First Post)

How would you rate the job Joe Sakic has done to date as Avalanche GM? (editable)

• Total voters

ThatAvsGamer

Feb 21, 2013
Ontario
That's a hot take if I ever saw one.

We didn't lose Barrie because of money at least not in the sense you are implying. There were many reasons to have traded Barrie... the cap being one of them. They could have afforded him this year but it would have got harder the years afters. Trading him at the TDL would have return a lot less and only future. The other reasons to trade him were we needed a #2C and he was our best trading chip to get that. We also have two guys coming up that can provide what Barrie brings...how much of it is still to be found out. And that's not even mentioning Girard who can still take another fairly big step offensively as well.

So ROR is pretty well the only one we lost due to money. Stastny left because he couldn't see himself fit into that lineup.

Have you looked at how much we're spending, and how much we've spent in the last 10 years or so? We have been a bottom feeder for more than a decade. Our highest paid player has a cap hit of 6.3m, Out of every team in the league only Detroit is paying their highest paid player less.

Sure there was other reasons with each player, but at the end of the day it was because of money that all three were let go. Sure Stastny didn't really fit in the future, nor does Barrie depending on how Makar/Byram do. But we lost all of them because we didn't want to pay them.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Have you looked at how much we're spending, and how much we've spent in the last 10 years or so? We have been a bottom feeder for more than a decade. Our highest paid player has a cap hit of 6.3m, Out of every team in the league only Detroit is paying their highest paid player less.

Sure there was other reasons with each player, but at the end of the day it was because of money that all three were let go. Sure Stastny didn't really fit in the future, nor does Barrie depending on how Makar/Byram do. But we lost all of them because we didn't want to pay them.
And we are set up beautifully to spend to the cap, or close to it, at the right time meaning when we will be a contender. And by the way the Avs have not been a bottom feeder most of those past ten years.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow

We were actually right up to the cap during our famous 48pt season. Spending money just for the sake of spending it is almost never a smart move. We will be a cap team in the next decade or so because we finally have a team that can compete; and that wasn't the case in the last 10ish years .

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
If you want to be really pedantic, you could argue that almost every player who leaves any team does so because of money.

"I hate playing here. I want to leave"
"We'll pay you 2m per year more than anyone else."
"Where do I sign?"

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

You can't pay them all. If you decide to commit big money to Stastny and O'Reilly, you can't commit big money to Duchene and MacKinnon. You commit big money to Barrie, you're not going to be able to afford all of Girard, Makar, and Byram. And they just signed Girard for seven frickin' years, BTW.

If you really want to make this an all-or-nothing thing without context, that's your gig, dude. I must say though that you're gonna have a hell of a time finding any team in a league with a hard cap that somehow pays every single one of their players. Even the Hawks had to occasionally "purge" talent every few years during their glory days.

Tell ya what...if they truly fail to sign Mikko then you might be onto something, but until then I'll give them the benefit of the doubt here. They've spent to the cap before, and they will do so again. The only place where I am concerned about their spending habits is with coaches and front office staff.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia

This is a good thing though right ? I mean.look at the Bruins they've kept their best players this way and is what the leafs hoped to do on the Shanny plan but caved to their overated and overpaid individuals and are now screwed.

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009

Not sure I buy this since they offered the Breadman as much or more than NY offered

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Avs were not used to giving out bonuses and paying a player even before the season started. Buffalo were able to pay ROR bonuses, no questions asked.

And Buffalo surely regrets doing so now.

I'm curious to see if there's any give whatsoever in that regard when it comes to Rantanen. I'm sure his camp is pushing for a lockout-proof contract, but the Avs, to their credit, have never signed a player to that type of deal. And I don't think that's a bad thing either. I'm fairly positive those types of contracts will be severely curtailed in the next CBA.

BTW, it'd be nice if the owners maybe found a way to quit falling through every goddamn loophole the players and their agents find.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Joe Sakic has got out his oiled rag, and is buffing and polishing the edges of this team to round us completely off.

I think we can now beat any team whatsoever in the league, and I fear no-one. I believe we have a roster better than the Stanley Cup champs.

Thinking top 2-3 in the NHL now, and a very exciting team to be following.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Joe Sakic has got out his oiled rag, and is buffing and polishing the edges of this team to round us completely off.

I think we can now beat any team whatsoever in the league, and I fear no-one. I believe we have a roster better than the Stanley Cup champs.

Thinking top 2-3 in the NHL now, and a very exciting team to be following.
It's hard to not share your optimism, but there are still plenty of questions to be answered before making proclamations like that, particularly on defense.

- Can Makar handle an 82 game season as No.1/2?
- Can Johnson stay healthy?
- Zadorov is usually a slow starter, which could be a problem especially with Cole missing half the season.
- Burakovsky has a lot to prove
- Can Grubauer handle a No.1's workload?
- Francouz has no NHL experience...
- Continuity on the 3rd D pairing might be an issue with so many 6/7th D's on the roster.
- How is the PK going to do without Cole/Nemeth and/or Johnson (if he's out)?

That said, I am optimistic on most points, I'd just rather let the team take the next step on the ice before claiming that they're better than the cup champions.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Goaltending and PK are my main concerns. Especially the goaltending with both being unproven as starters in the NHL.

Joe said on July 1 they were going to be signing a #3G but hasn't yet. I don't know if the plan is to go with a camp tryout or make a trade, but they're playing with fire here.

Reactions: MarkT

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Goaltending and PK are my main concerns. Especially the goaltending with both being unproven as starters in the NHL.

Joe said on July 1 they were going to be signing a #3G but hasn't yet. I don't know if the plan is to go with a camp tryout or make a trade, but they're playing with fire here.
With such a gluttony of options in defense perhaps the plan is to let the defensemen fight it out at camp, and then trade whoever is deemed surplus for a No.3 goalie. After all, a serviceable NHL defenseman like one of Barberio or Graves would surely be enough to pick up a decent AHL starter, though it does cut it really fine leaving it so late like that.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I wouldn't be surprised that Sakic already has something lined up with a few other teams to trade for one of their goalies that would otherwise have to go on waiver. Instead of losing him for nothing a team could get something from the Avs.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia

^
This

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I wouldn't be surprised that Sakic already has something lined up with a few other teams to trade for one of their goalies that would otherwise have to go on waiver. Instead of losing him for nothing a team could get something from the Avs.

He'd have to pass through waivers after they trade for him though, if they're gonna send him to the Eagles. My guess is they trade for someone after they clear waivers.

Pickard is a good candidate here, though he's been terrible in the NHL since leaving the Avs. The Wings will likely send him down since he'll be much cheaper to stash in the minors than Bernier.

Reactions: McMetal

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
He'd have to pass through waivers after they trade for him though, if they're gonna send him to the Eagles. My guess is they trade for someone after they clear waivers.

Pickard is a good candidate here, though he's been terrible in the NHL since leaving the Avs. The Wings will likely send him down since he'll be much cheaper to stash in the minors than Bernier.
Yeah not sure what I was thinking there lol. Of course you are right about having to go through waiver. Still my point stands. I think Sakic has something lined up with one or maybe more teams depending on who goes on through. I really doubt he does have a plan for a #3 goalie.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad