Joe Sakic - Record as Colorado Avalanche GM - Part III (Updates in First Post)

How would you rate the job Joe Sakic has done to date as Avalanche GM? (editable)

• Total voters

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yes it is... he handles star players terribly

Really? What has he done that's been so much worse than other GMs? His only protracted contract negotiations have been with Barrie and O'Reilly, and all of those were resolved before they became a huge issue.

There is not a single, solitary GM who hasn't had issues signing some of their star players.

Reactions: Sudden Nordique

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I personally find it hilarious how much Sakic hate there is around here still. Part of me wonders if it isn't just people trolling or being contrarian just for the sake of it. I don't know how anyone could look objectively at his body of work (especially his recent work) and not see he is making the team better and generally making good decisions.

wayninja

Bednar's Tailor
Mar 24, 2017
Sakic gets props for the Mikko deal? I would think so. Not sure what the score is now.

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Gave Joe 5 stars.

- No unhealthy contracts issued.
- Expiration is well distributed (e.g. nothing like Wings - Larkin and Abdelkader going UFA together or Leafs - Muzzin, Ceci and Barie going UFA together in just 2 years).
- Only 5 players left from that season 3 years ago - 1st line + EJ + Zadorov, don't count JTC and TJ who played like 30 games combined.
- Have pipeline of prospects for every position - we have a luxury to send Bowers and Kamenev to AHL and decide between Graves, Timmins and Rosen for last D spot
- We have our own dedicated farm club finally!
- Team needs are addressed - first defense, then secondary scoring with more forward depth. Moreover, we have cap space to apply immediate fix.
- Goaltending situation is resolved without spending a ton via trade or UFA - bought cheap starter and brought backup for peanuts.

Yes, there were questionable moves but then again, a lot had to be done to get this team out of the mess from 3 years ago and not everything worked, but overall I like the direction.

Last edited:

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Stays at a 4 until the #5 top six forward spot is fixed.

I don't know. He should be able to get a 5 for team improvements.
The team might not be a 5 yet, and they do need that additional top 6 forward you pointed out, but they should be a better team than they were last year. They're getting there.
And that score is meant to fluctuate. At this point in time, he's got a bit of a golden hue.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I don't know. He should be able to get a 5 for team improvements.
The team might not be a 5 yet, and they do need that additional top 6 forward you pointed out, but they should be a better team than they were last year. They're getting there.
And that score is meant to fluctuate. At this point in time, he's got a bit of a golden hue.

If he would have gotten 7 years I'd have changed it to 5, but I still see a flaw that also involves having sent out assets without it being fixed. So I wouldn't even give him a near perfect score let alone perfect.

Absolutely deserves praise though.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Sakic has done a good job re-signing his own players. He, as is common among GMs, have this tendency to trade for guys hoping they'll be something they haven't been in their careers.

I get that from time to time, a player needs a new team to reach their potential but more often than not what you see is what you get.

To his credit, he doesn't seem to fall in love with them too much after they fail. We did dodge a bullet when he wanted to keep Boedker around.

Auston mcdavid

Mar 10, 2018
Gave Joe 5 stars.

- No unhealthy contracts issued.
- Expiration is well distributed (e.g. nothing like Wings - Larkin and Abdelkader going UFA together or Leafs - Muzzin, Ceci and Barie going UFA together in just 2 years).
- Only 5 players left from that season 3 years ago - 1st line + EJ + Zadorov, don't count JTC and TJ who played like 30 games combined.
- Have pipeline of prospects for every position - we have a luxury to send Bowers and Kamenev to AHL and decide between Graves, Timmins and Rosen for last D spot
- We have our own dedicated farm club finally!
- Team needs are addressed - first defense, then secondary scoring with more forward depth. Moreover, we have cap space to apply immediate fix.
- Goaltending situation is resolved without spending a ton via trade or UFA - bought cheap starter and brought backup for peanuts.

Yes, there were questionable moves but then again, a lot had to be done to get this team out for the mess from 3 years ago and not everything worked, but overall I like the direction.
What questionable moves he’s built this team beautifully the iginla contract he nevertheless signed I’d put him up there with yzerman and poile in terms of gms and building a team

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
What questionable moves he’s built this team beautifully the iginla contract he nevertheless signed I’d put him up there with yzerman and poile in terms of gms and building a team

He's made questionable moves...dude's not above reproach here.

1. Trading for and then extending Brad Stuart before he played even a single game.
2. Trading for and also extending Reto Berra.
3. Signing Nick Holden and Cody McLeod to completely unnecessary extensions (again, I think this was influenced by Greg Sherman) in 2014 that neither player would finish in Colorado.
4. Signing Joe Colborne, Rene Bourque, and Fedor Tyutin.
5. And Iginla was bad, but signing Francois Beauchemin was much worse (though, as I have argued with people on here, that one I pin mainly on Roy).

That all said, I think we can also credit Joe for learning from those mistakes. My biggest criticism of him at present concerns drafting and development. I don't think he's done nearly enough to overhaul that particular department. Hepple hasn't been horrible by my estimation, but he hasn't been a massive improvement over Pracey either, and that's a problem. Don't even get me started on Billington.

I think he's also weathered some of the biggest tests a GM has ever had to face quite well. He endured the franchise's worst-ever season and didn't panic, didn't fire the coach, and stuck to his plan. He was obviously right to do so.

He's done a fine job building the team, but I'm not putting him at "elite" status just yet. This team has to actually prove they're as good as we all hope they are. I'll also say that I am having one hell of a time trying to figure out who the hell the "best" GM in the league is. I once tagged Poile as that guy, but his last couple offseasons have not impressed me a whole lot. I feel like Nashville missed their window (watch them prove me wrong). Conversely, a guy I've blasted for years in Doug Wilson goes ahead and wins the Stanley Cup, and nearly every big move he made in the offseason panned out. Of course, it helps when a Selke Trophy winner and future Conn Smythe winner gets dumped into your lap for free...

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
He's made questionable moves...dude's not above reproach here.

1. Trading for and then extending Brad Stuart before he played even a single game.
2. Trading for and also extending Reto Berra.
3. Signing Nick Holden and Cody McLeod to completely unnecessary extensions (again, I think this was influenced by Greg Sherman) in 2014 that neither player would finish in Colorado.
4. Signing Joe Colborne, Rene Bourque, and Fedor Tyutin.
5. And Iginla was bad, but signing Francois Beauchemin was much worse (though, as I have argued with people on here, that one I pin mainly on Roy).

That all said, I think we can also credit Joe for learning from those mistakes. My biggest criticism of him at present concerns drafting and development. I don't think he's done nearly enough to overhaul that particular department. Hepple hasn't been horrible by my estimation, but he hasn't been a massive improvement over Pracey either, and that's a problem. Don't even get me started on Billington.

I think he's also weathered some of the biggest tests a GM has ever had to face quite well. He endured the franchise's worst-ever season and didn't panic, didn't fire the coach, and stuck to his plan. He was obviously right to do so.

He's done a fine job building the team, but I'm not putting him at "elite" status just yet. This team has to actually prove they're as good as we all hope they are. I'll also say that I am having one hell of a time trying to figure out who the hell the "best" GM in the league is. I once tagged Poile as that guy, but his last couple offseasons have not impressed me a whole lot. I feel like Nashville missed their window (watch them prove me wrong). Conversely, a guy I've blasted for years in Doug Wilson goes ahead and wins the Stanley Cup, and nearly every big move he made in the offseason panned out. Of course, it helps when a Selke Trophy winner and future Conn Smythe winner gets dumped into your lap for free...
Those were moves to appease Roy

Reactions: forsbergavs32

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
Three things:
1. You can't explain away all those bad moves and pin them on Roy.
2. Even if you can, if that was the impetus behind said moves, that makes them even worse.
3. You definitely can't pin #4 on Roy because he wasn't with the organization when Sakic made those moves.
Correct Sakic signed off on them I just meant Roy wanted the win now way.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Correct Sakic signed off on them I just meant Roy wanted the win now way.

I think both of them lost their way a bit after that amazing 2013-14 season. They thought they were way farther ahead then they actually were and made moves accordingly (hence the needless extensions given to bad players, the Iggy signing, etc.). Roy himself preached patience when it came to developing talent, I don't know if one guy was all about winning now and the other guy was thinking rebuild, I think they had very different ideas on how to build a winner. Roy definitely wanted the team to get bigger, Sakic leans more toward speed and skill.

Reactions: AvsMakar08

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Either way, things are working out better now. Sakic has done a great job rebuilding. Yeah the signings weren’t great the year Roy left but the following offseason Sakic cleaned house and we’ve made the playoffs 2 years in a row for the first time in nearly 15 years. Not to mention Bednar is a better coach than Roy.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I think the best thing about Sakic is all of his worst decisions came several years ago, and since the horror season the vast majority of his moves have been good to great. So regardless of who is responsible for those bad decisions early in his tenure, it's pretty clear the source of those decisions is gone (whether it was a type of reasoning or a person).

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Sakic has really turned his career around, part of that is luck of Mack taking a huge step, but I’ll hold off on giving him a 5 until he overhauls our scouting staff. It’s really an organizational weakness

Reactions: MarkT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad