Joe Sakic - Record as Colorado Avalanche GM - Part III (Updates in First Post)

How would you rate the job Joe Sakic has done to date as Avalanche GM? (editable)

• Total voters

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Seems that Joe was worried he couldn't make the cap dollar work. Same with Saad.

I think they could have worked it out with Saad by moving out Compher.

Eichel though, maybe have needed to be a deadline move to afford him, and that would have meant he couldn't have his surgery and play this year.

They only have about $24k in cap space right now, so even if the moved out Girard, Compher, and Jost, they'd have needed Buffalo to retain a bit when they factored in the replacement players for Jost and Girard.

Reactions: Reparlana

yeaher

May 3, 2019
Kadri can't do shit by himself. Soon as Mac is out he struggles. When he doesn't have 2 top 6 wingers playing on his line he struggles. Kadri will go 3 or 4 games with nothing then all of a sudden have the odd multi point game. He's too inconsistent
what

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
Anyone have that quote of Joe Sakic when he was on Altitude during the game? It went something like:

Altitude guys: Hey Joe I bet last night's game was fun for the fans but hard for you.

Sakic: It was fun for me too, I love exciting hockey. Bednar probably didn't like it too much though.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Sakic becomes "President of Hockey Operations" after we win the Cup this year, and McFarland becomes GM.

That's the timeline I've been expecting. I wonder though if MacFarland has had enough offers from other teams, if Sakic would move up to President after this season whether they win the Cup or not.

I feel like his preference is to win the Cup as GM first to tick that off the bucket list. That's why he hasn't moved up already. Hopefully they win the Cup this year and the problem solves itself.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
That's the timeline I've been expecting. I wonder though if MacFarland has had enough offers from other teams, if Sakic would move up to President after this season whether they win the Cup or not.

I feel like his preference is to win the Cup as GM first to tick that off the bucket list. That's why he hasn't moved up already. Hopefully they win the Cup this year and the problem solves itself.

This off-season would be an opportune time for a transition in the front office (or behind the bench) given how much roster and cap flexibility there is for a new GM to work with in putting his stamp on the team.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
This off-season would be an opportune time for a transition in the front office (or behind the bench) given how much roster and cap flexibility there is for a new GM to work with in putting his stamp on the team.
You are now dead to me.... :sarcasm:;)

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Didn't know you liked Bennett that much :sarcasm:;)
giphy.gif

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Didn't know you liked Bennett that much :sarcasm:;)
Ahhh you got me there...That I could go for.

With that said I am not convinced our problems on the PP are totally due to Bennett. IMO the players are at fault as well especially Mack and Bura. They both try very risky plays (passes and going through multiple defenders) way too often which cause us to lose possession and have to reset costing us precious PP time in the OZ. After all our PP under Bennett has been for the most part in the top-10 IIRC. People can argur that it is mostly due to skills instead of system but I think it is not entirely true. One thing they could certainly do better is moving the puck faster. That would open up more lanes and tire the defenders a lot quicker.

Reactions: Richard88

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Ahhh you got me there...That I could go for.

With that said I am not convinced our problems on the PP are totally due to Bennett. IMO the players are at fault as well especially Mack and Bura. They both try very risky plays (passes and going through multiple defenders) way too often which cause us to lose possession and have to reset costing us precious PP time in the OZ. After all our PP under Bennett has been for the most part in the top-10 IIRC. People can argur that it is mostly due to skills instead of system but I think it is not entirely true. One thing they could certainly do better is moving the puck faster. That would open up more lanes and tire the defenders a lot quicker.

I like the zone entries on the PP and iirc Avs are among the top teams in the league in PP zone entry rate so that's positive. The lack of creative structures and limited amount of passing schemes is an issue though. It isn't hard to just tell five guys to stand in the classic umbrella formation with a bumper guy and pass it around the outside like the Avs do.

Back to the earlier point though, jokes aside I did imply that Bednar could be gone, but only if there's another serious failure in the playoffs. If they go out with a whimper in the first or second round it's hard to see how he stays. And further to my point of roster transition if you're gonna make a coaching change it would be best to do it in and off-season where your roster has a bit of a reset (as we're likely to see this summer with so many UFA's). That said I like Bednar so I hope the Avs have success and that he stays on.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Seeing as how @Ceremony is the only poster (and Avs fan) that thinks Sakic has done a terrible job and should be fired, I think it’s safe to say we know who the resident iconoclast is in our fan base.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Overall happy with the deadline.
Manson, Lehkonen great adds.
Sturm for Jost gives us a little more of what we needed in the bottom 6.

Downsides are still having Compher, yet again no 3C, and I don’t think Cogliano moves the needle

Reactions: John Mandalorian

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Overall happy with the deadline.
Manson, Lehkonen great adds.
Sturm for Jost gives us a little more of what we needed in the bottom 6.

Downsides are still having Compher, yet again no 3C, and I don’t think Cogliano moves the needle
You're not happy with:

MacKinnon (best player in the league)
Kadri (one of the top scorers this season)
Newhook (one if the better rookies)
Sturm (tough / strong)

Down the middle?

Newhook at 3c is already over the top fantastic. He's not far behind Saad in production.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
My thoughts on Joe's deadline. Grade A-/B+.

The Positive

I like the moves. Overall they have plenty of depth now on both defense and forward.

Three of Strum, LOC, NAK, Maltsev, Cogliano, and Helm will probably be healthy scratches (possibly Compher too if he doesn't play well) and if Byram comes back, JJ, Murray, and MacDermid would be the scratches on D. Can't remember when they've had that kind of quality in their depth.

Lehkonen will be a great fit on this team with his speed and forechecking. He improves the 3rd line and the PK which were their two biggest areas of need IMO.

Cogliano also helps on the PK, brings some more leadership, and came at a good price.

Sturm makes the team tougher to play against in the O zone. Early signs are that his office is clearly in front of the net. Plus his face-off ability will help the Avs in key moments.

Manson I think will be a great fit, especially in the playoffs. Insurance as that big hard to play against RD in case an EJ injury. Except Manson is probably better at this stage of their careers and is a lot meaner to play against. Now they can pair one of Manson or EJ with Byram and Girard. This is their new Adam Foote. Hopefully they can re-sign him.

PK in general seems much improved with Manson, Lehkonen, and Cogliano. That's big for the playoffs as this was their biggest weakness IMO.

Had a feeling that they would move two of Barron, Helleson, and their 2023 1st, and that they'd choose to move both Barron and Helleson if needed. Happy they didn't completely gut their future and move all three.

The Negative

Thought Copp or Miller would have helped the team more at center, bumping the rookie Newhook to the wing. I have high hopes for Newy's competitiveness in the playoffs, but it's still a risk going with a rookie as 3C. That was a high price for Copp though and Vancouver preferred to keep Miller. Could see them going after Miller in the off season as Kadri replacement though.

Not quite sure they got big and gritty enough on the 3rd line. 4th line seemed to improve in that area with Sturm and Cogliano, but the 3rd line is where it needed to be addressed. A Lehkonen-Newhook-Compher third line could work well, but it could also get muscled around fairly easily in the playoffs. Especially in the O zone.

Wonder why Crouse wasn't moved? Thought he'd be a great fit on the Avs 3rd line. Maybe in the summer if they lose Nuke?

A bit surprised JTC wasn't moved. Thought they might replace him with a bigger grittier winger, but JT still has that shot that can win games in the playoffs, and maybe he can relax now that he wasn't traded, and starts playing like he's capable of. Wonder if they'll be able to clear his $3.5M for next year now? They could use it for the 2C and 2RW roles with Kadri and Burky needing to be re-signed or replaced.

Reactions: Richard88

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
Love Sakic as a player but some of his moves have been hesd scratchers.

He gets rid of Zadorov and Graves. Then is forced to trade one of our best prospects in Helleson and a 2nd for Manson who has been pathetic. Both Z and Graves are 10x the player Manson is.

Then he ships out Barron when Girard probably should have been the one to go.

We had Mackinnon, Duchene, O'Reilly and Stastny down the middle. Had Makar, Byram, Toews, Zadorov, Graves, Cole on D but somehow we are scrambling for Center depth and Defense depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad