Joe Sakic - Record as Colorado Avalanche GM - Part III (Updates in First Post)

How would you rate the job Joe Sakic has done to date as Avalanche GM? (editable)

• Total voters

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I don't see why you'd throw them a pick to steer them away from EJ. If they want EJ, Joe should be driving him to the airport.

I'm WAY more concerned about them losing a goalie. I'm guessing they will re-up Groob at some point before the conclusion of next season. And I could see either guy get taken very easily. Both have put up good numbers and both are on relatively inexpensive deals. If they want that EJ contract, let 'em have it! That would honestly be best-case scenario.
I agree with what you're saying. Realistically though I think if Johnson would waive it would be under the premise that Sakic promises to ensure that he isn't selected, so if Seattle does enquire about Johnson then Sakic would simply throw them a 4th or something to steer them in another direction. Not that I think that would be the best hockey move, but I anticipate that Sakic would want to honour the promise to Johnson - if he did indeed waive.

Chances are that Seattle won't be up against the cap right away, so they can probably afford to pick up an inflated salary or two if they got a guy they thought could provide some veteran leadership in the lockerroom in the first 2-3 years of their expansion.

Reactions: MarkT

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Am I the only one who wants Frankie protected and Grub exposed??? And for me it's 100% business and zero sentiment. Joe needs to ask EJ to waive his NTC and see what happens.
Yeah I thought about that too. Depending on what Grubauer is going to be asking for in his next contract talks I could certainly see Francouz being seen as the better value player too keep, especially if Annunen and/or Werner have continued to make strides by that stage.

Avsavsavsavsavs

Nov 30, 2017
Am I the only one who wants Frankie protected and Grub exposed??? And for me it's 100% business and zero sentiment. Joe needs to ask EJ to waive his NTC and see what happens.

Nah you are not the only one. It's a no brainer if I'm Seattle to take Frankie if he's available, and I do think peak Frankie is a little bit better than peak Grubi, and more consistent as well.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I agree with what you're saying. Realistically though I think if Johnson would waive it would be under the premise that Sakic promises to ensure that he isn't selected, so if Seattle does enquire about Johnson then Sakic would simply throw them a 4th or something to steer them in another direction. Not that I think that would be the best hockey move, but I anticipate that Sakic would want to honour the promise to Johnson - if he did indeed waive.

Chances are that Seattle won't be up against the cap right away, so they can probably afford to pick up an inflated salary or two if they got a guy they thought could provide some veteran leadership in the lockerroom in the first 2-3 years of their expansion.

I see what you're saying, but I hope there are no such stipulations. He either agrees to waive and not get picked (there is no way in hell Ron Francis selects him) or he gets bought out.

Personally, if I'm EJ, I take the buyout.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
If Francis doesn't want to give Sakic the assurance he won't select him, maybe EJ doesn't want to take the chance and doesn't waive. If that is the case would it be such a bad thing if Sakic offers a 4-7th round pick to get the assurance from Francis? I know a lot of people are against making a deal with Seattle because you end up losing two assets but if it is needed I would be happy with that in order to please everybody. Frankly I don't think it gets to that point anyway. Francis will probably give the assurance regardless as he will have better options than EJ on the Avs anyway.

Reactions: MarkT and Richard88

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
I think you (and a few others) overestimate Joe's sentimentality. He was stone cold when it came to dealing with a dissatisfied Matt Duchene. And that was definitely not "pure mercenary." I see him as a guy who wants to do right for the people working for him but I don't see him sacrificing an actual player toward that cause.

Also, EJ is as team-first a guy as they come. I imagine it'll be an awkward conversation but if asked, he'll waive. It's not like Seattle would take him anyway. If they did, they'd be doing the Avs a MASSIVE favor.

I agree with this and I think it's a much easier discussion than people make it out to be. "EJ, given everything you've done for us, we'd like you to stay with us. But I'm sure you understand that given the situation and our line-up, we can't use a protection slot on you. But because we respect you and we would prefer not to have to buy you out, we will let you decide: you waive or we buy you out. You have earned the right to decide". Something along those lines...

Reactions: MarkT and Patagonia

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I don't see why that's just "wishful thinking". They very easily took care of the issue the last time it reared its ugly head when he bought out Beauchemin before the draft.

He either waives or he gets bought out. Joe is sentimental but he's not stupid. He's not going to expose a good player because he likes Erik Johnson.

Joe told his former teammate, Alex Tanguay, #PackYourShit

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

I also agree with you comment. Doubt they’ll select a slowing and overpaid EJ for 2 seasons. I expect him to waive or bought out. Frankie would be the player to protect. He seems committed to the team and looks to be the better player. Still another season before deciding, so it could change next season.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
“Hey Erik, if you waive Seattle won’t pick you, we won’t trade anything to make them pick you and the team will appreciate sacrificing your pride to ensure a better roster. “

Reactions: Pokecheque

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
“Hey Erik, if you waive Seattle won’t pick you, we won’t trade anything to make them pick you and the team will appreciate sacrificing your pride to ensure a better roster. “

“No...

14EC8DD1-C772-467C-9D40-5CF250DAD22D.gif

Reactions: Pokecheque

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I took a quick look back tonight at how Sakic has amassed so much talent on the roster and in the system. So much accomplished since June 2019.

Mikko Rantanen: 2015 10th overall pick

Martin Kaut: 2016 16th overall pick

Nov 2017: Duchene trade: Avs acquire: Girard, Kamenev, Bowers, draft picks

Jun 2017: Cale Makar Drafted 4th overall

February 2018: Ryan Graves acquired in trade for Chris Bigras

June 2019: Avs draft Alex Newhook and Bowen Byram

June 2019: Avs acquire Burakovsky for 2nd and 3rd round picks.

July 2019: Avs sign Logan O’Connor

July 2019: Avs sign Donskoi, Bellemare

July 2019: Avs acquire Kadri from Leafs for Barrie and Kerfoot

August 2019: Avs sign Val Nichushkin

February 2020: Avs acquire Namestnikov for a 4th round pick.

Reactions: Linds and flyfysher

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Ehhhhhh...I'm not ready to say that yet. Remember, Frankie is actually older (not by much, but he is). Also, Groob is UFA in 2021 but I imagine they'll try and re-sign him before then.

Reactions: MarkT

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I think no matter which way you slice the expansion draft we're probably losing a good player. The good news is Seattle can only pick one, and we have enough depth at every position to make up for anyone we're likely to lose.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I think no matter which way you slice the expansion draft we're probably losing a good player. The good news is Seattle can only pick one, and we have enough depth at every position to make up for anyone we're likely to lose.

I think the sleeper move, is EJ and a pick to Seattle.

ETTHAKING67

Feb 12, 2019

I'm probably wrong but we won't need to protect grub since he's a UFA, right ?

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
You know what else is quickly becoming a conundrum for the expansion draft is which goalie do you protect? Because you absolutely can't go the route of protect both. Honestly I'm actually leaving towards protecting Frank. Don't hate me but I just personally think he is the better goalie and a better fit personality wise than Grubauer. I don't hate Grubauer, but I also wouldn't be too sad if he was selected by Vegas.

Reactions: LTC Pain

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
You know what else is quickly becoming a conundrum for the expansion draft is which goalie do you protect? Because you absolutely can't go the route of protect both. Honestly I'm actually leaving towards protecting Frank. Don't hate me but I just personally think he is the better goalie and a better fit personality wise than Grubauer. I don't hate Grubauer, but I also wouldn't be too sad if he was selected by Vegas.

It is way to early to discuss with any substance. Only thing anyone can do is make a prediction akin to gambling.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I guess it's good news that this time around, we Avs fans are actually concerned as to who they will take. Back in 2017, we couldn't have cared less.

I like that the process allows GMs of each team ample opportunity to discuss options with the expansion club. Sakic will know exactly who Seattle wants and whether or not a side deal will be required.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad