Joe Sakic - Record as Colorado Avalanche GM - Part III (Updates in First Post)

How would you rate the job Joe Sakic has done to date as Avalanche GM? (editable)

• Total voters

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I’m totally fine that they moved him, it just would of been nice to get a little more back.

Sakic was in a tough spot though, because at the time they didn’t know if Cole, or Johnson would be healthy for the start of the season. I think they planned on using Connauton a lot more than they did.

I still don't think we would've got much more back, maybe an extra 3rd/4th instead of Connauton. Looking at other teams cap space, there really weren't many other playoff/bubble teams that could fit $4.75 mil and needed a #2/3C. Haula was coming off a major injury, but just put up 55 points the year before and only returned Nicolas Roy + 5th. I think we just received market value for a 33 year old #2/3C.

Even with that injury, I would've preferred (and still prefer) Haula to Soderberg.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Soderberg was a 33 year old pending UFA with a $4.75m cap hit, and was fresh of a terrible playoff performance. It's likely that what Sakic got was simply the best offer.

It's also worth noting that the Arizona 3rd round pick from the Soderberg trade helped us get Burakovsky:
  • Soderberg for ARI 3rd + Connauton
  • ARI 3rd + 2nd for Burakovsky
Combined that makes the two trades:
  • Soderberg + 2nd for Burakovsky and Connauton
In hindsight you do that combined trade 10 times out of 10.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Soderberg was a 33 year old pending UFA with a $4.75m cap hit, and was fresh of a terrible playoff performance. It's likely that what Sakic got was simply the best offer.

It's also worth noting that the Arizona 3rd round pick from the Soderberg trade helped us get Burakovsky:
  • Soderberg for ARI 3rd + Connauton
  • ARI 3rd + 2nd for Burakovsky
Combined that makes the two trades:
  • Soderberg + 2nd for Burakovsky and Connauton
In hindsight you do that combined trade 10 times out of 10.

I still think when you isolate the 3rd and Connauton for Soda, it’s not a great return. We’ve seen 50 point pace players go for more at the deadline, let alone getting to have the player for a full season.

But, it’s a minor blip in what was Sakic’s best offseason of his tenure.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I really think they were just trying to move Soda's contract. It wasn't really about the return, though they parlayed some of it to get Burakovsky, so I think it was decent value.

In hindsight, I think they may have underestimated the need for a 3C and JTC's inability to fill that hole. Then again, I still maintain that Soda never really "worked" as a 3C. He thrived in that quasi-2C role he had with the Avs.

Reactions: MarkT and Richard88

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I still maintain that Soda never really "worked" as a 3C. He thrived in that quasi-2C role he had with the Avs.

That's the part that I think gets forgotten when reminiscing about trading Soda. He needed a bigger role to feel invested in the team and get the most out of him.

He had that reputation in Boston too. In a lesser bottom six role he wasn't as engaged in the play, or making as many good plays as he was in a 2C role in spurts. A lot of the time he was slotted in as a 3C in Colorado he was getting 2C minutes too.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
I really think they were just trying to move Soda's contract. It wasn't really about the return, though they parlayed some of it to get Burakovsky, so I think it was decent value.

In hindsight, I think they may have underestimated the need for a 3C and JTC's inability to fill that hole. Then again, I still maintain that Soda never really "worked" as a 3C. He thrived in that quasi-2C role he had with the Avs.

The Avs were also in talks with Toronto about Kadri and they had also had visions of signing Panarin so the need for extra cap space outweighed the potential hole at 3c.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The Avs were also in talks with Toronto about Kadri and they had also had visions of signing Panarin so the need for extra cap space outweighed the potential hole at 3c.

Another under mentioned aspect of that trade.

Panarin was gonna cost bookoo bucks, and Soda was set to make $4.75M as a 3C, when they thought there was a chance JTC/Jost could fill that role, with Belly as a 3rd option.

Reactions: MarkT

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Just wanted to mention this here, because I just came to this realization in another thread.

Joe Sakic waiting as long as he did to trade Duchene, and continuing to ice a bad blueline, along with Roy leaving when he did, pretty much directly led to the entire top 4 of the future for the Avalanche.

Which IMO will be the biggest reason they remain a top contender for a long time.

That 48 point season under Bednar led to Makar and Timmins in the 2017 draft, and the eventual Duchene trade led to both Girard and Byram.

Pretty crazy series of events that led to a drastic turnaround for this franchise.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Just wanted to mention this here, because I just came to this realization in another thread.

Joe Sakic waiting as long as he did to trade Duchene, and continuing to ice a bad blueline, along with Roy leaving when he did, pretty much directly led to the entire top 4 of the future for the Avalanche.

Which IMO will be the biggest reason they remain a top contender for a long time.

That 48 point season under Bednar led to Makar and Timmins in the 2017 draft, and the eventual Duchene trade led to both Girard and Byram.

Pretty crazy series of events that led to a drastic turnaround for this franchise.

I'm going to pretend it was Sakic's strategy the entire time.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
The Avs also decided not to draft high potential Dmen for a long time. They had chances to fix the D earlier but always went with forwards.

Stonehands Siemens and captain Kirk were the only high picks and after them the Avs only used random late round picks on Dmen hoping that it would miracilously get it done. They did manage to get Barrie in the 3rd round but thats about it.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The team definitely would've had a bigger roster, likely would've been slower, and Barrie and Duchene would likely still be gone, but beyond that I really don't know what this team would've looked like had Roy stayed.

The 48-point season probably would've been avoided, but I think 2016-17 would've been a bad year no matter what. They were on a pretty steady decline after that amazing 2013-14 season, so it looked inevitable. It just so happens that the combination of bad luck, injuries, a brand-new coach who didn't really have time to get settled, and some bad player signings all factored together for a perfect disaster. It was still a pretty bad team even without all those things.

Reactions: 5280

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
The team definitely would've had a bigger roster, likely would've been slower, and Barrie and Duchene would likely still be gone, but beyond that I really don't know what this team would've looked like had Roy stayed.

The 48-point season probably would've been avoided, but I think 2016-17 would've been a bad year no matter what. They were on a pretty steady decline after that amazing 2013-14 season, so it looked inevitable. It just so happens that the combination of bad luck, injuries, a brand-new coach who didn't really have time to get settled, and some bad player signings all factored together for a perfect disaster. It was still a pretty bad team even without all those things.

Then to go on after all of that to lose the draft lottery and pick 4th. It was someone's will that we got Makar.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
And next season we will be talking the same talk how it was someone's will that we drafted Byram.

Me after reading @AvsJost98 posts about Byram.

upload_2020-6-17_22-8-2.gif

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The 2nd line of Burakovsky-Kadri-Donskoi was responsible for three of the Avs' 7 goals today. I'd say that was a successful offseason.

What's odd about that offseason is that it was literally a year ago now...

Ahem, which line was that again? ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad