Joe Sakic - Record as Colorado Avalanche GM - Part III (Updates in First Post)

How would you rate the job Joe Sakic has done to date as Avalanche GM? (editable)

• Total voters

ETTHAKING67

Feb 12, 2019
Landeskog - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Nichushkin - Kadri - Burakovsky
Donskoi - Bowers - Kaut
Calvert - Bellemare - O'Connor
Compher(?)

Graves - Makar
Girard - Timmins
Byram - Johnson
Cole

Grubauer
Francouz

- What are you doing with Jost ? (Trading him for picks would make sens)
- What did OC did they have that spot over Compher ? Same with Bowers ?
- Hopefully we don't start the season with Nuke on our 2nd. We have to try to find help on our top 6 so we can survive big injuries. If we can go after a player with 1 or 2 year left on his contract it would make a lot of sens.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
- Hopefully we don't start the season with Nuke on our 2nd. We have to try to find help on our top 6 so we can survive big injuries. If we can go after a player with 1 or 2 year left on his contract it would make a lot of sens.

Nuke and Kadri were awesome together before Kadri went down. I'm comfortable with Nuke there. That's what Donakoi is for. We just got hit hard this year.

I'm not against adding a top six winger, but I want a 3C more. I don't like the idea of banking on Bowers there until he gets his feet wet.

Reactions: ETTHAKING67

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd made me think of him. Also the under performing players you are talking about were discussed as part of deals for top six forward or a defender.

The point you were trying to make mostly likely was a shot at the mass hysteria just wanting to move whatever in order to upgrade what we don't like, or people that seemingly just wanted any deal.

Your point was hyperbolic, and it was a shotgun blast. You really expect it to be taken seriously lol?

giphy.gif

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

- I just think Jost will be gone. For what...I don't know. I also won't be surprised if he's back but I'll be disappointed. Everyone just needs to go their separate ways. It ain't workin'.
- I honestly forgot about Compher and had no idea where to put him. I don't think Bowers is a better player than him right now but I think he projects to be a better player. O'Connor may not be a better player but I like his game more than Compher's. He's a beast on the forecheck and that makes up for any lack of offense on his part. Compher probably has the edge on versatility and speed but I don't think by much.
- I don't really have a problem with Nuke on the 2nd line. Ideally, you hope Kaut develops to a point where he's a reliable 2nd line guy, but as of now he's more of a 3rd liner. There will likely be a lot of experimentation and what not next season, Bednar tends to stay pretty rigid with that top line and his defensive pairings but he's willing to try just about anything with the rest of the lineup. I would not rule out the possibility the Avs find an upgrade of some sort this offseason but I'm not counting on it.

I shouldn't be so hard on JTC. He's had a really, really rough season, but I don't necessarily think he's just damaged goods. I also won't be shocked if it comes out after the season is over that he's been battling something for most of the year. Something just seems very much off with him, and this wouldn't be the first time he's dealt with injuries. That said, he really needs to have a solid playoff run and/or bounceback season in 2020 or I think he's in trouble.

Reactions: flyfysher

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
- I just think Jost will be gone. For what...I don't know. I also won't be surprised if he's back but I'll be disappointed. Everyone just needs to go their separate ways. It ain't workin'.
- I honestly forgot about Compher and had no idea where to put him. I don't think Bowers is a better player than him right now but I think he projects to be a better player. O'Connor may not be a better player but I like his game more than Compher's. He's a beast on the forecheck and that makes up for any lack of offense on his part. Compher probably has the edge on versatility and speed but I don't think by much.
- I don't really have a problem with Nuke on the 2nd line. Ideally, you hope Kaut develops to a point where he's a reliable 2nd line guy, but as of now he's more of a 3rd liner. There will likely be a lot of experimentation and what not next season, Bednar tends to stay pretty rigid with that top line and his defensive pairings but he's willing to try just about anything with the rest of the lineup. I would not rule out the possibility the Avs find an upgrade of some sort this offseason but I'm not counting on it.

I shouldn't be so hard on JTC. He's had a really, really rough season, but I don't necessarily think he's just damaged goods. I also won't be shocked if it comes out after the season is over that he's been battling something for most of the year. Something just seems very much off with him, and this wouldn't be the first time he's dealt with injuries. That said, he really needs to have a solid playoff run and/or bounceback season in 2020 or I think he's in trouble.

I think he got a new contract and is also coming to terms with the fact that he isn't a top six forward like he was in college.

Could be injury, but hes let off the gas a little. I'll be curious to see how he plays in the playoffs.

Not that he really is good enough in the 2C role, but you can see the motor is running hotter.

Reactions: flyfysher

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
If Burakovsky replicates this season, he will definitely go before JTC.

Why do you think they can't protect Burakovsky? They either have to protect 7F/3D/1G or 8 skaters and 1 goalie. They could easily protect Burakovsky so long as they don't go beyond protecting 3D. That's only an issue if the league comes back and says they have to protect Timmins in addition to Girard, Makar, and Graves.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'm going to guess we can't. EJ waiving/bought out is likely wishful thinking sadly.

I don't see why that's just "wishful thinking". They very easily took care of the issue the last time it reared its ugly head when he bought out Beauchemin before the draft.

He either waives or he gets bought out. Joe is sentimental but he's not stupid. He's not going to expose a good player because he likes Erik Johnson.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I don't see why that's just "wishful thinking". They very easily took care of the issue the last time it reared its ugly head when he bought out Beauchemin before the draft.

He either waives or he gets bought out. Joe is sentimental but he's not stupid. He's not going to expose a good player because he likes Erik Johnson.
Beauchemin was a pure mercenary. EJ is the longest serving player on the team and a big part of the leadership group. Like I said, I think it's very optimistic to just hand-wave away that NMC.
Why do you think they can't protect Burakovsky? They either have to protect 7F/3D/1G or 8 skaters and 1 goalie. They could easily protect Burakovsky so long as they don't go beyond protecting 3D. That's only an issue if the league comes back and says they have to protect Timmins in addition to Girard, Makar, and Graves.
If they do have to protect 4 defensemen, the forwards protected will 100% be MacKinnon, Landeskog, Rantanen, and Kadri. Bura will be the odd man out in any 8 skater protection list.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Maybe I'm missing something, why would you go 8-1 if you are protecting three D?

I think I'm just misreading that.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Beauchemin was a pure mercenary. EJ is the longest serving player on the team and a big part of the leadership group. Like I said, I think it's very optimistic to just hand-wave away that NMC.

If they do have to protect 4 defensemen, the forwards protected will 100% be MacKinnon, Landeskog, Rantanen, and Kadri. Bura will be the odd man out in any 8 skater protection list.

I think you (and a few others) overestimate Joe's sentimentality. He was stone cold when it came to dealing with a dissatisfied Matt Duchene. And that was definitely not "pure mercenary." I see him as a guy who wants to do right for the people working for him but I don't see him sacrificing an actual player toward that cause.

Also, EJ is as team-first a guy as they come. I imagine it'll be an awkward conversation but if asked, he'll waive. It's not like Seattle would take him anyway. If they did, they'd be doing the Avs a MASSIVE favor.

Reactions: LTC Pain

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I think you (and a few others) overestimate Joe's sentimentality. He was stone cold when it came to dealing with a dissatisfied Matt Duchene. And that was definitely not "pure mercenary." I see him as a guy who wants to do right for the people working for him but I don't see him sacrificing an actual player toward that cause.

Also, EJ is as team-first a guy as they come. I imagine it'll be an awkward conversation but if asked, he'll waive. It's not like Seattle would take him anyway. If they did, they'd be doing the Avs a MASSIVE favor.
I can see it happening, but I also think people who think that way are potentially setting themselves up for massive disappointment.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Maybe I'm missing something, why would you go 8-1 if you are protecting three D?

I think I'm just misreading that.

Right, they should only have to protect 3D in 2021 (Makar, Girard, and Graves). Unless Timmins counts, then they're in trouble. I really don't see the EJ NMC situation as an issue. It's going to be taken care of before then, one way or the other.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

I hope they don't, buying both Jerseys out of sentimentality would be expensive lol. They're not likely to take a player I'd do that with thankfully. Unless by some miracle Z is still around.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Right, they should only have to protect 3D in 2021 (Makar, Girard, and Graves). Unless Timmins counts, then they're in trouble. I really don't see the EJ NMC situation as an issue. It's going to be taken care of before then, one way or the other.

Yeah I've pretty much moved to Timmins being the deciding factor, but only if Graves keeps this up and signs for cheap making himself that valuable as well. If the dude signs for like three years at 2.5 he stays lol.

There is so much to see develop though. Right now I'm predicting 7-3 because I can't imagine they won't have at least 6 forwards to protect. Even if its someone else besides Nuke or Bura as the 6th.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I can see it happening, but I also think people who think that way are potentially setting themselves up for massive disappointment.

We'll see. You can already tell the coaching staff is not crazy about him playing a ton of minutes, though why the hell they recently switched pairings back to EJ/Girard I have no idea. Apart from that, they've done a lot the past calendar year or so lessening his role. If his game continues to decline as it has the last couple years the writing will be on the wall, if it isn't already.

avs1dacup

Jan 25, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site

I think Joe could basically talk him into waiving for the betterment of the team. He could try and convince him waiving lets him protect another good player or two and he won't be picked so doing so will help keep this fantastic team together.

Reactions: LTC Pain

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Sakic has set the roster up as well as one could have hoped for ahead of the expansion draft.

If necessary Johnson will be asked to waive and we'll pay Seattle a pick to select someone other than Johnson. It's not like it would be expensive to do that as Seattle would probably fancy one of the other players on offer instead of Johnson anyways.
  1. Mackinnon
  2. Rantanen
  3. Landeskog
  4. Kadri
  5. Burakovsky
  6. Donskoi
  7. Compher
Exempt: Kaut, Bowers, Newhook
  1. Makar
  2. Girard
  3. Graves
Exempt: Timmins, Byram
  1. Grubauer
Exempt: Werner, Annunen

Exposed: Francouz, Zadorov, Johnson (waives NMC), Calvert, Jost, Nichuskin

Looking at this list the logical thing to do is to move Jost and/or Zadorov for either:
  • a 1 year rental Top 6 forward (who hits UFA in 2021) (also bearing in mind capspace limitations from 2021 onwards)
or,
  • draft picks this summer

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Sakic has set the roster up as well as one could have hoped for ahead of the expansion draft.

If necessary Johnson will be asked to waive and we'll pay Seattle a pick to select someone other than Johnson. It's not like it would be expensive to do that as Seattle would probably fancy one of the other players on offer instead of Johnson anyways.
  1. Mackinnon
  2. Rantanen
  3. Landeskog
  4. Kadri
  5. Burakovsky
  6. Donskoi
  7. Compher
Exempt: Kaut, Bowers, Newhook
  1. Makar
  2. Girard
  3. Graves
Exempt: Timmins, Byram
  1. Grubauer
Exempt: Werner, Annunen

Exposed: Francouz, Zadorov, Johnson (waives NMC), Calvert, Jost, Nichuskin

Looking at this list the logical thing to do is to move Jost and/or Zadorov for either:
  • a 1 year rental Top 6 forward (who hits UFA in 2021) (also bearing in mind capspace limitations from 2021 onwards)
or,
  • draft picks this summer

I don't see why you'd throw them a pick to steer them away from EJ. If they want EJ, Joe should be driving him to the airport.

I'm WAY more concerned about them losing a goalie. I'm guessing they will re-up Groob at some point before the conclusion of next season. And I could see either guy get taken very easily. Both have put up good numbers and both are on relatively inexpensive deals. If they want that EJ contract, let 'em have it! That would honestly be best-case scenario.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad