Blue Jays Discussion: Joe Panik: the hero we deserve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Shoutout to the mariners. No hit for the second time this year and the 4th time since the 2019 season.

They are currently batting .199 as a team through just over 40 games

In all seriousness with how many no-nos we've seen and the appalling amount of guys hitting under .200 around the league I think the league may have gone a bit too far with changing the ball

Reactions: Leaftors

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Baseball is you need 20+hr or bust

that’s all players hit for these days

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Shoutout to the mariners. No hit for the second time this year and the 4th time since the 2019 season.

They are currently batting .199 as a team through just over 40 games

In all seriousness with how many no-nos we've seen and the appalling amount of guys hitting under .200 around the league I think the league may have gone a bit too far with changing the ball
With changing the ball and allowing pitchers to use foreign substances

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
someone tell me if this is good, if we get him. I also assume it would take a huge package?

Berrios is quite good. He's an above average to great pitcher in the league, and is projecting upwards. This season is arguably the best ball he's pitched. He's turning 27 next week, and we'd have him under team control the remainder of this season, and next.

However, I won't try and tell you what the cost is.

Reactions: stickty111

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
I mean the Twins aren't rebuilding so why would they trade their best pitcher who still has another year of control

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Jays are looking good but they should add a starter asap if they can. That's their biggest weakness and they need to get an innings eater to save the bullpen moving forward. Imagine getting Berrios then adding Pearson and or Manoah later this season even if just to the bullpen !! I'm excited for them this season for sure not to mention when Springer gets back.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
The only guys I can see Minnesota moving is Cruz and Happ. Guys that are on short term deals and weren't expected to help the Twins compete long term.

Cruz can still absolutely rake and it's honestly astounding what he's doing at his age. Happ is still a solid middle rotation guy when not facing the white sox.

Honestly wouldn't be opposed to either. With how good the lineup is you don't need Cruz but it's more of a "yeah but could you imagine?" And then Happ is a guy that you have familiarity with and you know what he's going to give you.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
But should they be rebuilding?

Not at all. A good chunk of what they consider to be their core is still on the right side of 30 and they won 100+ games 2 years ago with most of same said core.

Probably just need a bullpen overhaul and to get a new manager. If they stink this badly again next season then maybe you consider it.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
someone tell me if this is good, if we get him. I also assume it would take a huge package?

Reminds me of the Stroman deal. Similar age, control and production. Difference is, more teams need pitching this time around.

At the time of the trade SWR could be compared to Kloffenstein now. High upside starter in the low levels. Otto Lopez is tearing the cover off the ball and could raise his stock.

I would think the Twins would ask for a top 100 guy. They would aim high but may settle on a guy like Orelvis+ but Kloffenstein, Lopez and say Hatch could be 3 good pieces for the Twins.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Not at all. A good chunk of what they consider to be their core is still on the right side of 30 and they won 100+ games 2 years ago with most of same said core.

Probably just need a bullpen overhaul and to get a new manager. If they stink this badly again next season then maybe you consider it.

Yeah, I tend to agree with this, but I don't think it's entirely unreasonable for them to decide to move a few pieces during this season instead of waiting until next deadline when they'll be rentals (Berrios, Buxton, Rogers...) You have to be really confident in the team bouncing back next year to hold onto those guys.

They're obviously not in the 2018-19 Jays situation at this point, but the risk here is that they overestimate the team's ability to contend and pull a Donaldson with a couple of these guys.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

La Russa has potentially made a good young club house and turned it into a poisonous situation. This isn't the 1950's anymore. Like to know what Buck thinks of this. He probably sides with La Russa here considering his protection for the old boys club with anti shifts and anti analytics.

Reactions: hoc123

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Yeah, I tend to agree with this, but I don't think it's entirely unreasonable for them to decide to move a few pieces during this season instead of waiting until next deadline when they'll be rentals (Berrios, Buxton, Rogers...) You have to be really confident in the team bouncing back next year to hold onto those guys.

They're obviously not in the 2018-19 Jays situation at this point, but the risk here is that they overestimate the team's ability to contend and pull a Donaldson with a couple of these guys.

With three loser teams in that division there's no reason for them to not go for it.

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014

La Russa has potentially made a good young club house and turned it into a poisonous situation. This isn't the 1950's anymore. Like to know what Buck thinks of this. He probably sides with La Russa here considering his protection for the old boys club with anti shifts and anti analytics.

I do think he agrees with La Russa's opinions, but I do wonder with his experience as a manager whether he thinks La Russa handled it well. Even if you agree with La Russa on the "unwritten" rules of baseball, your #1 job as manager is to look out for your players, and its impossible to deny he has absolutely failed at that job.

Reactions: stickty111

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
@theaub how do you feel about Ryu going forward as an investment in The Show? He's been absolutely dealing as of late and I feel like he's better than the 82 he's sitting at rn.

I'm trying to understand how their upgrade criteria works. Seems like he's a shoo in to get a boost but they also inexplicably boost Javy Baez despite having the highest k/walk rate in MLB history lol

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I do think he agrees with La Russa's opinions, but I do wonder with his experience as a manager whether he thinks La Russa handled it well. Even if you agree with La Russa on the "unwritten" rules of baseball, your #1 job as manager is to look out for your players, and its impossible to deny he has absolutely failed at that job.

To be honest, I can see Buck completely siding with La Russa in every way. The only defense I can see him offering is a "modern players don't respond to that kind of management" excuse that puts the blame on the players instead of La Russa in a typical "kids these days" way.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

Those comments from La Russa .. Yikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad