Blue Jays Discussion: Joe Panik: the hero we deserve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Looks like the A's are finally going to move. I wonder if Vancouver will make a bid...

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
@Discoverer. Per your question what i have against catchers. I feel like we are so ridiculously deep at catcher right now that we should be focused elsewhere. I know bpa and all that jazz but man even just the risk on catchers I just don’t like using a first round pick to go after another one. We have crazy youth and depth at catcher and we are tied to I believe the best international catcher for the next signing class. My preference is outfield or pitcher all things being equal

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Oakland's not moving. They're just trying to pressure the city/state into sorting out their need for a better stadium.

And Vancouver is probably no better than 5th/6th on a potential list of relocation destinations. There isn't a suitable baseball stadium here (BC Place doesn't count) and I'm not sure there's an easy/ready place to build one on short notice.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Hagen Danner pitched the 10th inning for Vancouver. Struck out 1, walked 1(on 10 pitches), hit 1 batter. Gave up 1 run that I assume is unearned since it's the runner that starts the inning on 2nd base in extras.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Oakland's not moving. They're just trying to pressure the city/state into sorting out their need for a better stadium.

And Vancouver is probably no better than 5th/6th on a potential list of relocation destinations. There isn't a suitable baseball stadium here (BC Place doesn't count) and I'm not sure there's an easy/ready place to build one on short notice.

And to go one step further I’m not sure vancouver has the baseball community to support an mlb team

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
I was just thinking tonight that maybe Vlad could have a Gold Glove in his future at 1B.

Also stoked I have both SWR ad Moreno on my dynasty team.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Quality topic title

I found this shirt at a game a couple years ago right after Vlad got called up and it is going to get some serious wear this summer.

upload_2021-5-12_6-58-27.png

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Looks like the A's are finally going to move. I wonder if Vancouver will make a bid...

Not sure if they can with Vancouver so close to Seattle, there was talk years ago about an expansion team in Vancouver and they said MLB would never give Vancouver a team because it infringes on Seattle's territorial rights.

Last edited:

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Not sure if there can with Vancouver so close to Seattle, there was talk years ago about an expansion team in Vancouver and they said MLB would never give Vancouver a team because it infringes on Seattle's territorial rights.

This .. if there's another Canadian MLB team it would be Montreal.

But I'd say Tampa moving there (eventually) is more likely.

A's going to Vegas make a lot of sense. The success of the Golden Knights and now the Raiders moving there show it can be a legit sports city.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020

Oakland's a declining city. They're in an old stadium that the franchise doesn't own. Their city government is hostile to its pro sports franchises. There's probably no long term future for any major league sports franchises in that city especially with other pro franchises in adjacent cities.

For relocation, I'm thinking Nashville, somewhere in the Carolinas, Las Vegas, how about this wildcard: Austin Texas, there's a lot of money in Austin. The MLB isn't going to be going across the border with inflation going through the roof (although much of the inflation is hidden in the stock market and cryptocurrencies at the moment).

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
This .. if there's another Canadian MLB team it would be Montreal.

But I'd say Tampa moving there (eventually) is more likely.

A's going to Vegas make a lot of sense. The success of the Golden Knights and now the Raiders moving there show it can be a legit sports city.

I would imagine its either a negotiating tactic to get a new stadium or the owner has just had enough of being a poor team. Not sure how much of that movie with Brad Pitt is true and how much is Hollywood but one trade the A's GM made with the Red Sox, the Red Sox had to supply the A's pop machine in the club house for three years so the players wouldn't have to buy their own drinks.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Oakland's a declining city. They're in an old stadium that the franchise doesn't own. Their city government is hostile to its pro sports franchises. There's probably no long term future for any major league sports franchises in that city especially with other pro franchises in adjacent cities.

For relocation, I'm thinking Nashville, somewhere in the Carolinas, Las Vegas, how about this wildcard: Austin Texas, there's a lot of money in Austin. The MLB isn't going to be going across the border with inflation going through the roof (although much of the inflation is hidden in the stock market and cryptocurrencies at the moment).

Austin would be my pick as well - seems to be where the new Silicon Valley-esque money is flowing. I think over the past year or so the likelihood of them/Tampa (or both) moving has increased a ton.

Vegas is an interesting pick but I don't know if they'll build a third new stadium in such a short time. Austin/Portland are my top two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->