Player Discussion Joe Morrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Didn't something like 85 veteran D get hurt and Clode was literally forced to play Krug and Bart? Krug forced him to keep him in there once he got in.

Outside of top 3 picks -95% of NHLers enter the league that way, that or make an amazing impression in camp and turn heads and make themselves invaluable. That's pretty much it.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Lost in the PENS loss is another stellar performance by Joe Morrow. The kid is so ready. I think he is arriving right before our eyes right now. This kid should never see the press box again. He should be here to stay.

He is playing clean crisp aggressive hockey and playing physical. Sitting him again would be a clear indication that the team has no direction.

Looked good in the eyeball test again and was a +1 on a night where his team lost 5-1.

Buuuuuut he is simply not Claude's guy. He has never got a proper chance on the PP and does indeed get punished (taken out of the lineup) for mistakes that KMiller makes on a nightly basis.

I honestly don't think he will turn into anything in Boston but if he can get moved and get a shot somewhere else in time then he could revive his NHL career (kind of like Schultz in Edm--> Pittsburgh).

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Lost in the PENS loss is another stellar performance by Joe Morrow. The kid is so ready. I think he is arriving right before our eyes right now. This kid should never see the press box again. He should be here to stay.

He is playing clean crisp aggressive hockey and playing physical. Sitting him again would be a clear indication that the team has no direction.

This team does have NO direction. Even a mediocre coach should have been able to get a few points out of this recent slump.
I'm of the camp that feels that Claude is done here but the FO and owner still have delusions that they'll make the playoffs.
I would get rid of CJ (and Sad Sack Sacco) asap, put Cassidy in charge until the offseason and see what who's available after the season.

Looked good in the eyeball test again and was a +1 on a night where his team lost 5-1.

Buuuuuut he is simply not Claude's guy. He has never got a proper chance on the PP and does indeed get punished (taken out of the lineup) for mistakes that KMiller makes on a nightly basis.

I honestly don't think he will turn into anything in Boston but if he can get moved and get a shot somewhere else in time then he could revive his NHL career (kind of like Schultz in Edm--> Pittsburgh).

Morrow (and Spooner) are two players that I would hate to see traded until we get a chance to see them play for another coach in Boston. I really hope that they both get a chance in Boston with another great coach with a different eye for talent.

Brucentric*

Dec 9, 2016
This team does have NO direction. Even a mediocre coach should have been able to get a few points out of this recent slump.
I'm of the camp that feels that Claude is done here but the FO and owner still have delusions that they'll make the playoffs.
I would get rid of CJ (and Sad Sack Sacco) asap, put Cassidy in charge until the offseason and see what who's available after the season.

Morrow (and Spooner) are two players that I would hate to see traded until we get a chance to see them play for another coach in Boston. I really hope that they both get a chance in Boston with another great coach with a different eye for talent.

With the Backes signing and the kids we have and have coming, while i like Spooner, He is now moveable to me as part of a package for a number one Dman. But Morrow needs to play everyday. Morrow reminds me of John Carlson, i see many similarities. I know, we cant use a John Carlson type.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

I just don't see it with Joe Morrow. He plays defense like I play defense in men's league. He's always rovering around and honestly looks lost to me. I made sure to watch him for much of the last few games. Small sample size but I'm just not sure he has the hockey sense or smarts for this level. I like his ability to move the puck a lot, but for me he isn't good enough at other areas of the ice to offset his defensive deficiencies.

Unfortunately it's such a small sample size of games with Joe Morrow that it's really tough to assess him.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I just don't see it with Joe Morrow. He plays defense like I play defense in men's league. He's always rovering around and honestly looks lost to me. I made sure to watch him for much of the last few games. Small sample size but I'm just not sure he has the hockey sense or smarts for this level. I like his ability to move the puck a lot, but for me he isn't good enough at other areas of the ice to offset his defensive deficiencies.

Unfortunately it's such a small sample size of games with Joe Morrow that it's really tough to assess him.

Exactly,60 NHL games in a sporadic sequence tells us nothing and helps him not.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
At this point, I think Morrow is what he is and that's a 24 year old NHL/AHl tweener, something he's been since he was 19. He shows flashes of being more, then he lets us down by making pee wee level mistakes.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
At this point, I think Morrow is what he is and that's a 24 year old NHL/AHl tweener, something he's been since he was 19. He shows flashes of being more, then he lets us down by making pee wee level mistakes.

Have to disagree. Look at his game log for this season and tell me what you see. I see a guy at the start of the season that had a bad game on 10/22 and then didn't see the ice again until November 13th. I see a guy who played on 12/12 and then didn't see the ice again until 1/16. I see a guy who has a handful of games in a row, then sits for a ton of time before he finally gets back in there. That lack of consistent playing time hasn't allowed him to grow and become what he still may be as a finished work.

BTW, that's just for this year. If I go back further, the pockets of idle time go way up.

And here's the real rub: he may turn out to be a stiff. But is that because he sucks or because he was mishandled so poorly at a critical time of his development? The impact of a coach not allowing a young d man to make mistakes cannot be understated, IMO...

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
With the Backes signing and the kids we have and have coming, while i like Spooner, He is now moveable to me as part of a package for a number one Dman. But Morrow needs to play everyday. Morrow reminds me of John Carlson, i see many similarities. I know, we cant use a John Carlson type.

Morrow ++++++++++ right?

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Have to disagree. Look at his game log for this season and tell me what you see. I see a guy at the start of the season that had a bad game on 10/22 and then didn't see the ice again until November 13th. I see a guy who played on 12/12 and then didn't see the ice again until 1/16. I see a guy who has a handful of games in a row, then sits for a ton of time before he finally gets back in there. That lack of consistent playing time hasn't allowed him to grow and become what he still may be as a finished work.

BTW, that's just for this year. If I go back further, the pockets of idle time go way up.

And here's the real rub: he may turn out to be a stiff. But is that because he sucks or because he was mishandled so poorly at a critical time of his development? The impact of a coach not allowing a young d man to make mistakes cannot be understated, IMO...

They did it with another defenseman already. He never recovered. The key is "the critical part of his development".

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
They did it with another defenseman already. He never recovered. The key is "the critical part of his development".

Yep. The handling of young players is part of the process. You brick that, they may never turn out to be what they could have been. And it's why I've questioned for a few years now whether their drafting under Chia was really that bad or whether the way they handled prospects was the problem. I'm firmly convinced its more on the handling side of the house at this point.

Brucentric*

Dec 9, 2016

I have no idea what your watching......He ooozes talent. He was our best Dman last game easily.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I have no idea what your watching......He ooozes talent. He was our best Dman last game easily.

" Oozes talent "

" John Carlson like "

" A force "

But Torey Krug, a guy who has had more great games in two weeks than Morrow has in his entire career, brings out the venom in you.

At this point, I can't see anyone taking you seriously with this routine. You're a parody.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

I just don't see it, man. I question his hockey sense, especially in his own zone. He panics way too much when pressured ( see last Red Wings game ) When the puck is on his stick and he has time, he looks good, especially coming out of the zone. But that's about it. Shows decent offensive awareness. Above average shot and skating. Can play physical. He's actually been better this year than I've seen him in years past. I just don't see a regular NHL defensemen, certainly not one living up to being a 1st rounder. Maybe he can forge himself a Matt Hunwick-esque career, where he's able to hang on just long enough to be a team's 6th/7th dman.

Do you see John Carlson when you watch Joe Morrow? :laugh:

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Yep. The handling of young players is part of the process. You brick that, they may never turn out to be what they could have been. And it's why I've questioned for a few years now whether their drafting under Chia was really that bad or whether the way they handled prospects was the problem. I'm firmly convinced its more on the handling side of the house at this point.

Yet Carlo has been brutal for about a month and stays in the lineup, and thats what it should be with young players. For some reason coach is not a fan of Joe Morrow

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
Yet Carlo has been brutal for about a month and stays in the lineup, and thats what it should be with young players. For some reason coach is not a fan of Joe Morrow

Joe Morrow is not a young defensement anymore. He needs to cash to stay in the line up.

I was a Morrow fan when he can in. Good with time. Hockey sense is from my pov questionnable.

Brucentric*

Dec 9, 2016
I just don't see it, man. I question his hockey sense, especially in his own zone. He panics way too much when pressured ( see last Red Wings game ) When the puck is on his stick and he has time, he looks good, especially coming out of the zone. But that's about it. Shows decent offensive awareness. Above average shot and skating. Can play physical. He's actually been better this year than I've seen him in years past. I just don't see a regular NHL defensemen, certainly not one living up to being a 1st rounder. Maybe he can forge himself a Matt Hunwick-esque career, where he's able to hang on just long enough to be a team's 6th/7th dman.

Do you see John Carlson when you watch Joe Morrow? :laugh:

So funny, You have to understand the position to appreciate the ones that are going to be very good. I can go back to the Dallas Board and the Penguins board and people there were saying the say thing about Niskanen.

He was traded twice like Morrow and showed flashes in both places. And the fan bases talked about him like you are talking about Morrow. Now he is an all star. We will see in three years when you are complaining about how we lost him and how you knew all along he would be good.

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
So funny, You have to understand the position to appreciate the ones that are going to be very good. I can go back to the Dallas Board and the Penguins board and people there were saying the say thing about Niskanen.

He was traded twice like Morrow and showed flashes in both places. And the fan bases talked about him like you are talking about Morrow. Now he is an all star. We will see in three years when you are complaining about how we lost him and how you knew all along he would be good.

It is a possibilty you are right. Some environnement brings the best of some players. Can't see it in Boston with the samples he played in up to now.

I remember a certain Cam Neely from Vancouver to Boston, John Leclair from Montreal to Philly, Brett Hull from Calgary etc.. some environnemt gets the best of certain player.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

Unlike Morrow, Niskanen was actually good enough to be an NHL dman and it showed. He had 7 goals one year and 30 points in another at 20/21 years old. By that time, Morrow was going to his third team. Even if Niskanen's career arc didn't continue upward in progression, he was still good enough to be in pros and he played regularly; he was never sent down and he was always good enough to play 70+ games a year.

Go ahead, hold on to hope he's Carlson-like while you spew your ******** at Krug. I hope you're right and that he finds a magic pair of beans and it installs him with all the attributes that makes a top pairing dman. But I don't think that's likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad