Player Discussion Joe Morrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
For those in the know: Any updated info, progress report on Joe Morrow? Is he still a stud-D in the making and how is he progressing?

Last edited by a moderator:

MillerTime 86

So Long Tyler SeQuin
May 11, 2007
On a Rock
But yeah, he's close to making it to the NHL...:sarcasm:

He's a real good player ... He'll be on the radar for sure next season.

The whole team is playing like crap right now. Cassidy likes to single out his scapegoats instead of having them work through it as a group.

Hoping the "It's not you, it's me" moment happens for him sooner than later.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
He's got a lot of work to do defensively. Of course, being paired with future Norris Trophy winner Tommy Cross won't help.

MillerTime 86

So Long Tyler SeQuin
May 11, 2007
On a Rock
He's got a lot of work to do defensively. Of course, being paired with future Norris Trophy winner Tommy Cross won't help.

Yup.

Good skating and offensive upside ... NHL-caliber. But needs to hunker down more in his own end to become more of a well-rounded package.

Not going to get practice in that department sitting in the stands :shakehead

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010
Joe Morrow has played in every game and could use a rest. Skating, passing, playmaking reminiscent of Duncan Keith, to these eyes; do not notice many mistakes on defence either, and does not take bad penalties. Most games, he's the best player on ice, - certainly the best defenceman - and makes it look rather easy. Next stop Boston.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Interesting that Keith was mentioned in this thread as that is Morrow's ultimate upside. He's actually better than Keith was at the same age (IMO) but Keith really put all his tools together as an NHLer and we have yet to see if Morrow can do the same. With his mobility/fluidity of motion, he has a chance to be a #1 pairing stud in a mold of a mobile (but not soft) guy like Keith. Keith really came out of nowhere though (from 04/05 on) --hard to see Morrow replicating that.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Interesting that Keith was mentioned in this thread as that is Morrow's ultimate upside. He's actually better than Keith was at the same age (IMO) but Keith really put all his tools together as an NHLer and we have yet to see if Morrow can do the same. With his mobility/fluidity of motion, he has a chance to be a #1 pairing stud in a mold of a mobile (but not soft) guy like Keith. Keith really came out of nowhere though (from 04/05 on) --hard to see Morrow replicating that.

If he's a good, mobile, two-way #3-4D I'd be absolutely ecstatic. Crazy things can happen, he can be a lot better or a lot worse. But he's a prospect with high value that I DEFINITELY want to keep. Keith and Seabrook drove me absolutely nuts in the SCF. They kept every puck in the zone. That's something Hamilton is really good at, along with Krug (at times). Definitely an interesting prospect.

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
Mark Divver tweet:

Joe Morrow -- minus-2 last nite and minus-6 in last 5 games -- is a healthy scratch for @AHLBruins tonight. Steve Spinell takes his place.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Yup.

Good skating and offensive upside ... NHL-caliber. But needs to hunker down more in his own end to become more of a well-rounded package.

Not going to get practice in that department sitting in the stands :shakehead

So you think you should never sit a prospect just to send him a bit of a message?

Do you think Don Sweeney and PC hold the exact same opinion as you do?

MillerTime 86

So Long Tyler SeQuin
May 11, 2007
On a Rock
So you think you should never sit a prospect just to send him a bit of a message?
No, I think message-sending can be effective when warranted and not abused. Not seeing how it's warranted in this instance though, as the whole team has collectively been playing like crap. Didn't think that Morrow in particular was sucking any harder or standing out more than anyone else on the team during this stretch ... But he's the guy who paid for it and was made an example of, for whatever reason.

Who the **** cares??? We're not allowed to talk on a message board now unless management shares the exact same sentiments as the posters here? Good luck with that :laugh:

Just found it odd that Morrow was the guy chosen to be made an example out of during a stretch where EVERYONE collectively played like ****, and where he didn't seem to stand out any more than anyone else.

If you want to know if Chiarelli and Sweeney feel the same way, give them a call or ask Artemis to write another letter :)

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002

one thing about keith is his recovery levels are extraordinary. they compared him to chelios and leetch, guys who logged incredible ice time, would come off and go right back out there. i found keith to be pretty inconsistent in his early years, but this year he's been incredible. if morrow becomes a poor man's keith, that's pretty damn good.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Played with camper and reilly smith at Miami

Hmm good to know. One thing about Chia's Bruins is that when he find a vein for great players he looks at it again and again. Seems to have found linkage.

one thing about keith is his recovery levels are extraordinary. they compared him to chelios and leetch, guys who logged incredible ice time, would come off and go right back out there. i found keith to be pretty inconsistent in his early years, but this year he's been incredible. if morrow becomes a poor man's keith, that's pretty damn good.

Sure, did Keith take this much time to develop though? Either way I hope that they don't lose faith in him before he ripens.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Hmm good to know. One thing about Chia's Bruins is that when he find a vein for great players he looks at it again and again. Seems to have found linkage.

Sure, did Keith take this much time to develop though? Either way I hope that they don't lose faith in him before he ripens.

This long to develop? Kid just turned 21 in DEC. We are so impatient with our prospects these days (myself incl).

To your question, Keith played a year and a half at Michigan State, then half a year for Kelowna before two full years in the AHL. He broke into the NHL in 2005-06 at age 22 (July b-day), so if Morrow can make an impact at the NHL level next season, he will be about 5 months ahead of Keith.

member 96824

I think Keith is a little ambitious of thinking for Morrow. He's got alot of talent, and alot of potential to be a good player in this league, but Keith...that's a stretch.

I worry for Morrow's sake that again, he finds himself in a situation where there are too many men on the depth chart and he finds himself a valuable trading piece. We shall see. Miller's emergence certainly makes the Morrow situation interesting unless there is a deal made from the pool of Morrow, Bartkowski, Krug, Dougie, Miller,

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I think Keith is a little ambitious of thinking for Morrow. He's got alot of talent, and alot of potential to be a good player in this league, but Keith...that's a stretch.

I worry for Morrow's sake that again, he finds himself in a situation where there are too many men on the depth chart and he finds himself a valuable trading piece. We shall see. Miller's emergence certainly makes the Morrow situation interesting unless there is a deal made from the pool of Morrow, Bartkowski, Krug, Dougie, Miller,

I was just making the comparison from an age perspective because the question was asked. I have no idea how Morrow compares to Keith at the same age?

It seems to me (from the way they handled it) that the B's were content after they acquired Morrow to designate this year as a "lost year" (from an NHL perspective) and have him learn the "system" down in PRO. I have no idea how the B's rate their D prospects internally, but Morrow is a PMD that also has some size. If he has the work ethic, I would think that puts him pretty high up on the food chain? I love Miller's game so far, but I believe a non-smurf PMD is harder to find than a "stay at home" guy (which Miller projects to be).

member 96824

I was just making the comparison from an age perspective because the question was asked. I have no idea how Morrow compares to Keith at the same age?

It seems to me (from the way they handled it) that the B's were content after they acquired Morrow to designate this year as a "lost year" (from an NHL perspective) and have him learn the "system" down in PRO. I have no idea how the B's rate their D prospects internally, but Morrow is a PMD that also has some size. If he has the work ethic, I would think that puts him pretty high up on the food chain? I love Miller's game so far, but I believe a non-smurf PMD is harder to find than a "stay at home" guy (which Miller projects to be).

I wasn't singling you out personally on the Keith thing, just a general comment overall about his name coming up in this thread

I agree completely as far as the Miller and Morrw stuff goes, but I mean as far as getting into the lineup. Chara will be here until he's 80 or so, Seids and Boychuk will for at least a few more years, Dougie's obviously a mainstay, as is I believe Krug. Over the next 3-4 years, I would say that leaves us 2 spots for Bartkowski, Morrow, Miller.

I'm not as high on Miller as most seem to be, but he's in the lineup already and fitting in pretty nicely it seems...obviously things change from year to year, and it's especially hard to plan out 3-4 years in advance, but it certainly will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Prospect or veteran, these guys are pro`s and if you need to send a message, it doesn`t have to be by sitting a player for lengthy healthy scratches or for entire periods (not that Morrow has been either).

A pro player can be excluded from one or two rotations and the message is clear. There are coaches who have an ability to send a message without abandoning a player while that player is in the "doghouse", then there`s other coaches that once they have a grudge/dislike of a player, it takes forever, if ever for that player to be given the opportunity to fight their way out of it.

It "appears" (and to be fair, I have never seen a PB game) but going on comments here that Cassidy often falls into category 2, Knight as a prime recipient of the healthy scratch stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad