Joe Morrow - Why NOT!!

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
I think Niku starts in the A and is a call up for injuries. Kid is still young and he gets every situation minutes on the Moose. Once roster limits get lifted after the TD I see him settling in on the Jets for a playoff run.

He’s good enough to play now no need to stall his development.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
He’s good enough to play now no need to stall his development.
First off we have past the point of development as the #1 priority. We are now a contender and should make decisions like one. And how is playing 20-25 minutes in all situations in the A stalling his development over being a 6/7 in the NHL? The kid is still raw and letting him play a ton with some NHL games in between as an injury replacement likely serves him very well. Pretty common development path for well established contending teams. Also allows us to keep as many NHL caliber defenceman on the roster as possible.

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
First off we have past the point of development as the #1 priority. We are now a contender and should make decisions like one. And how is playing 20-25 minutes in all situations in the A stalling his development over being a 6/7 in the NHL? The kid is still raw and letting him play a ton with some NHL games in between as an injury replacement likely serves him very well. Pretty common development path for well established contending teams. Also allows us to keep as many NHL caliber defenceman on the roster as possible.

He should be playing along side Buff from game 1 on.

Referring to Chiarot and Morrow as NHL talent is generous. They’re both good #7 guys.

Niku has played 6 years of pro hockey the only thing he has left to prove with the Moose is he’s too good for the league.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He should be playing along side Buff from game 1 on.

Referring to Chiarot and Morrow as NHL talent is generous. They’re both good #7 guys.

Niku has played 6 years of pro hockey the only thing he has left to prove with the Moose is he’s too good for the league.

Exactly and both will be in the PB starting the year. Niku isn't competing with them for a spot on the team., He is competing against Kulikov, Myers and Poolman. Given Maurice is planning on using Myers on the left he is going to have to beat out Poolman in camp.

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
Exactly and both will be in the PB starting the year. Niku isn't competing with them for a spot on the team., He is competing against Kulikov, Myers and Poolman. Given Maurice is planning on using Myers on the left he is going to have to beat out Poolman in camp.

There’s no way Myers plays left side next season. None.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
There’s no way Myers plays left side next season. None.

Well you better take that up with Maurice then. He is on record stating they have talked to him about moving to the left and plan on demoing it in camp. Do not underestimate Maurice's vet bias, he will go out of his way to make sure a favored vet will get a more prominent role even if it isn't the best idea.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think both Poolman and Niku start on the Moose, barring a trade or injuries. They are the 2 that are waiver exempt and IMO the Jets keep around as many NHL defenseman as the can. They have had too many injuries on the backend over the last few years not to protect themselves as much as possible. This year is about a cup run, not optimal development opportunities.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Bold prediction - Poolman starts as 3 RD, with Myers either on LD or traded.

Poolman is ready, and I think the Jets want him to play a regular role this season.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think both Poolman and Niku start on the Moose, barring a trade or injuries. They are the 2 that are waiver exempt and IMO the Jets keep around as many NHL defenseman as the can. They have had too many injuries on the backend over the last few years not to protect themselves as much as possible. This year is about a cup run, not optimal development opportunities.

I am not so sure on Poolman, Maurice name dropped him in an interview before the draft when talking about moving Myers to the left. He said he wanted to see if he could open up a spot for him.

Poolman is also pretty developed at this point and has shown he can play on the bottom pairing.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I am not so sure on Poolman, Maurice name dropped him in an interview before the draft when talking about moving Myers to the left. He said he wanted to see if he could open up a spot for him.

Poolman is also pretty developed at this point and has shown he can play on the bottom pairing.
I'm just going by keeping as many quality players as possible. I'm still very skeptical about Kulikov being healthy which would pave the way for Myers moving to the left and Poolman getting 3rd pairing usage.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm just going by keeping as many quality players as possible. I'm still very skeptical about Kulikov being healthy which would pave the way for Myers moving to the left and Poolman getting 3rd pairing usage.

I don't have any issues with that philosophy, I am just going by what the org is saying. I do agree that it is looking more and more likely that Niku is on the outside looking in for at least the start of next season.

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
Bold prediction - Poolman starts as 3 RD, with Myers either on LD or traded.

Poolman is ready, and I think the Jets want him to play a regular role this season.

This 100%

Trade Myers tho keep him away from the top 4.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
More number crunching. The Morrow signing may allow us to move an expensive PB option in Chariot.

However even moving out Chariot, paying someone to take Mason, moving Perrault and bridging Morrissey it only will give us roughly 4.4 million in cap space with max rookie bonuses taken into account to ink Stastny. The only way to realistically fit him is to move Chariot and one of Myers/Little and one of Perrault/Mason, Given that trades are scarce in the NHL does anyone actually think it is remotely possible for Chevy to pull this off? That is also based on a 5.5 million salary to Stastny which also might be on the low side for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad