Joe Morrow - Why NOT!!

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I liked him with Buff. Being Buff’s 5 on 5 partner is one of the best positions to be in if you have the skill set. I think Morrow can do it. He’s quick enough to go retrieve the puck while Buff plays a little higher and he moves it good enough when he gets it.

I guess the question is if he wants to be here. Last year he didn’t.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
Morrow is a good depth defenceman, but he has to compete with Kulikov, Niku and Chiarot. I don't seem him as the better option than those three at the moment, but I will say that I would probably rather have Morrow on the bottom pair with a cheap contract than Kulikov and his 4.3 mil cap hit.

As it is now, one of those guys will be the 2 LD, which would be a risky move going into the season.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
I liked him with Buff. Being Buff’s 5 on 5 partner is one of the best positions to be in if you have the skill set. I think Morrow can do it. He’s quick enough to go retrieve the puck while Buff plays a little higher and he moves it good enough when he gets it.

I guess the question is if he wants to be here. Last year he didn’t.

He said his rationale for choosing MTL was previous experience with Claude Julien. He's an RFA, so given that and the success he enjoyed here, a 1 year 900,000-1,000,000 contract could be a decent value add.

Reactions: TS Quint

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
i liked Morrow and thought he had some good games for the Jets. I would like a 3 year deal at around a million.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Morrow's RFA status has me asking some questions.

He was not tendered an offer sheet in Boston which allowed him to become a free agent. He ended up following Julien to Montreal where he signed a one year deal.

At this point wasn't he a UFA? cap friendly.com still lists him as an RFA.

Was he briefly a UFA at the time of signing with Montreal, but then once signed his age returned him to RFA status? The attached picture appears to suggest so. There's little to be found on this subject on line.

Screen Shot 2018-06-01 at 12.57.23 PM.png

Is he an RFA or a UFA right now?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Morrow exceeded my expectations last season after we got him. I really like his skating and offensive ability. If he could get his defensive game up to an adequate level he would be a real nice bottom pairing guy imo.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Yeah Morrow is good. Imagine how good he’d become with sufficient ice time! He could be our Nade Schmidt, who was better than Buff in our Vegas series.

Reactions: GNP

boyko10

44-11-9
Apr 27, 2017
I'm fine with it. But please don't let this turn into a pee on Chiarot thread. He's played his best since ever, and he's as much of a Jet as anyone on this team.. Best +/- on the team I think, for what that's worth. Got burned on occasion but actually contributed a lot more on offense than he gets credit for. Name one who didn't cost us just as often. Morrissey?

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
2 years, 950 year one then 1 mill year 2.

Backup plan if Chiarot walks next year. By then we hope Niku and Stanley (fingers crossed) are regulars

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yeah Morrow is good. Imagine how good he’d become with sufficient ice time! He could be our Nade Schmidt, who was better than Buff in our Vegas series.
Schmidt is an interesting comparison... a year older than Morrow. Both skate well, though Schmidt is a better skater.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
And Schmidt had a long standing history of being liked by the analytics community...

Morrow... well he could be better than Chiarot.
Agree that Schmidt is clearly superior, but I think Morrow fits the Jets better than Chiarot.

I advocated for the Jets to make a move for Schmidt, by the way.

Reactions: ennsjd07 and GNP

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I thought Morrow was RFA? If he is there's no reason at all not to keep him. He seemed to fit our team style pretty well.

If hes a UFA we may have to say goodbye but otherwise he will be a Jet or Moose, either role he will help somehow.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
And Schmidt had a long standing history of being liked by the analytics community...

Morrow... well he could be better than Chiarot.
I think Morrow might have the offensive skills our LHD has lacked.
Maybe here he will gain confidence.
I think there is certainly potential

Moon Man

Oct 3, 2015
I thought he should have been in the lineup rather then Enstrom in some of our PO games. Def would like to see him signed if we can get a good deal.

Reactions: broinwhyteridge

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Not sure. He has not lived up to original expectations being a first rounder, and he burned bridges when he left the Montreal organization. The less important a player is to a team, the less opinionated the player should be, IMHO.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad