Joe Morrow - Why NOT!!

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I don't see how he's going to be our 6th guy, barring Kuli not being healthy enough to play. I'd have to think the Jets plan is to have Niku playing in the top 4 with Buff. Even if that isn't the case, he's at the very least going to play in the bottom pair. Kuli isn't coming out of the lineup if healthy. If Myers gets moved, Poolman takes that's spot.

I prefer Morrow to Chiarot definitely, but I don't see how he's anything other than a 7th D while the team is healthy. Which it won't be, so it's good fit for the Jets.

ennsjd07

Feb 11, 2016
Kauai, Hawaii
Agree that Schmidt is clearly superior, but I think Morrow fits the Jets better than Chiarot.

I advocated for the Jets to make a move for Schmidt, by the way.

I was secretly hoping we'd get Schmidt as well. I'm trying to think of any defensemen as fast as him, and not many come to mind. He's not as big as Buff, but he's got great offensive instincts and wheels to get around ANYONE.
Distracted. Morrow is like a less heavy, more offensive Chairot. Or a bigger, less injurable Toby.

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
2 years, 950 year one then 1 mill year 2.

Backup plan if Chiarot walks next year. By then we hope Niku and Stanley (fingers crossed) are regulars
Stanley will never be a regular and Niku will be ready next year.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Stanley will never be a regular and Niku will be ready next year.

I really hope Niku gets deployed well in the NHL I think the kid could be awesome if we don’t subject him to the Trouba with Stu for two seasons hazing ritual or bounce him out of the line up for long stretches because he struggles with Chiarot.

Reactions: broinwhyteridge

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
I really hope Niku gets deployed well in the NHL I think the kid could be awesome if we don’t subject him to the Trouba with Stu for two seasons hazing ritual or bounce him out of the line up for long stretches because he struggles with Chiarot.

agreed. The kid is elite talent let him play through some early mistakes.

Reactions: ps241

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
agreed. The kid is elite talent let him play through some early mistakes.

The one negative for our org could work in Sami’s favor which is after JMo we aren’t exactly overflowing with talent on our left side. I agree with you let him play through his mistakes. I remember how maligned Shea Theodore was with the Ducks fans for his mistakes or even Dumba in Minni. Sami will figure it out.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
The one negative for our org could work in Sami’s favor which is after JMo we aren’t exactly overflowing with talent on our left side. I agree with you let him play through his mistakes. I remember how maligned Shea Theodore was with the Ducks fans for his mistakes or even Dumba in Minni. Sami will figure it out.

So true. Best thing we can do with him is play him and play him a lot. Can't see why we can't put him in the same situation we put Morrissey in his first year.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
2 years, 950 year one then 1 mill year 2.

Backup plan if Chiarot walks next year. By then we hope Niku and Stanley (fingers crossed) are regulars

Why?

1 year, about 800k. He is still an RFA next off-season. If he earns a bigger contract, give it to him then.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
Morrow's RFA status has me asking some questions.

He was not tendered an offer sheet in Boston which allowed him to become a free agent. He ended up following Julien to Montreal where he signed a one year deal.

At this point wasn't he a UFA? cap friendly.com still lists him as an RFA.

Was he briefly a UFA at the time of signing with Montreal, but then once signed his age returned him to RFA status? The attached picture appears to suggest so. There's little to be found on this subject on line.

View attachment 123299

Is he an RFA or a UFA right now?

This is a good question - can any of our local experts offer some illumination?

m.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I like Morrow fine. I think he's a better option than Chiarot.
I'm a fan of Chiarot's. With his shot, he needs to shoot more. Having said that, I have been hugely impressed by Morrow's play since he got here. I'd like to see him on the third pairing or as a first sub.

Reactions: wasup

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
Would you guys say it's fair to say Chiarot is better at defense then Morrow, but Morrow is better at offence / passing? I kind of feel that Chiarot adds more skills that the Jets need, like net front clearing and being physical. I like Morrow too and I hope and expect he is re-signed. Also have Kulikov and Buff ever played together?

Reactions: wasup and Flair Hay

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
This is a great thread. the Jets left d situation is a crowded one and with Enstrom out no one left is ideal to play huge minutes after Morrissey. I still love Kulikov but optimally he is better with Myers. Niku rookie and both Morrow and Chiarot have limitations. I find I have more confidence in Morrow of those two however, but Maurice likes his physical guys regardless of how many icings they cause.

All that said, in the spirit of the process, playing with what we have and finding out what Niku is capable of is probably the smartest move. That would maximize our position going forward. The same applies to Bryan Little and how he can rebound and help clarify that centre position.

Chevy is wise and patient. The more I think about it I think the offseason will be a quiet one.

We actually have a fair amount of evaluation left to do.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Morrow's RFA status has me asking some questions.

He was not tendered an offer sheet in Boston which allowed him to become a free agent. He ended up following Julien to Montreal where he signed a one year deal.

At this point wasn't he a UFA? cap friendly.com still lists him as an RFA.

Was he briefly a UFA at the time of signing with Montreal, but then once signed his age returned him to RFA status? The attached picture appears to suggest so. There's little to be found on this subject on line.

View attachment 123299

Is he an RFA or a UFA right now?

Just because a player was at one point UFA does not mean they will always be UFA. Useful example might be a guy like Tanev. Signed as a UFA in March/Apr 2016 for a deal that only went to the end of 15-16. Then became RFA where the Jets signed him. Michael Hutchinson is another UFA the Jets signed who then became RFA for the Jets.

Basically UFA age is entirely dependent on age and years played in the NHL (there is a games component for Group VI, but this only basically for guys who haven't put together a full NHL season so they can hit UFA at 25 instead of 27). UFA v RFA rules don't say anything at all about whether the player was previously RFA or UFA. So yes it is possible to sign a guy as a UFA and have them become RFA for you, so long as he's under 25 and played less than 60 games or under 27 with less than 7 full years in NHL.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg

The Jets would have to have their right side decimated for Niku to end up playing with Chiarot.

I realize your narrative and were trying to latch onto Chiarot as a replacement in your Stuart example of Trouba, but if any two of Byfulien, Trouba, Myers or Poolman went down, it would most likely be Kulikov making that switch. When the RD injuries overlapped last season that's what occurred.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Do we have any experts left? Bickering with idiots has scared quite a few of them away.

For much of the last 6 years questions like this would have been responded to in a fraction of a second.

Where's Aavco when you need him?
We still should have 1 or 2 CBA experts around.

In the meantime, I will go with CF. Except for not having been given a QO he doesn't meet the conditions for UFA for 2 more years.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Where's Aavco when you need him?
We still should have 1 or 2 CBA experts around.

In the meantime, I will go with CF. Except for not having been given a QO he doesn't meet the conditions for UFA for 2 more years.

2 posts above yours. I could quote you the CBA but Morrow is RFA (if he gets a QO that is).

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Would you guys say it's fair to say Chiarot is better at defense then Morrow, but Morrow is better at offence / passing? I kind of feel that Chiarot adds more skills that the Jets need, like net front clearing and being physical. I like Morrow too and I hope and expect he is re-signed. Also have Kulikov and Buff ever played together?

I think Chiarot improved on his weaknesses last year. I think he was a solid #6. He brings a useful physicality that we would miss without him. He may not skate as well as Morrow but he is a good (enough) skater with good (enough) speed. He has started to use his big shot more also.

Morrow played very well with Buff but the sample is very small. We should not forget how good Chia was with Buff when he first came up to.

I believe Kuli played with Buff a bit at the start of the season. IIRC they were good together - but Toby was better with Buff so Kuli dropped back to play with Myers. Kuli/Myers was a great 3rd pair. No surprise since both are supposed to be 2nd pair D.

It looks like one of Chiarot/Morrow will be a regular, unless Niku forces his way in. Which one will depend on how the pairings work out early next season. If Kuli plays with Buff then I think it is Chiarot with Myers. But Morrow may play with Buff and Kuli with Myers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad