Confirmed with Link: Joe Finley claimed by NYI

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
The way he's been playing, I'm not sure he'd get claimed, especially if there is a glut when everyone else starts getting assigned. His play has slipped badly, IMO.

Mike Weber sent down through waivers! I am not a big Weber fan but I don't think We can afford to Lose him. Aside from Regehr and Myers ( McNabb too but he hasnt been good enough this year) we have no one other dman capable of being able to throw his body around and having the strength/tenacity to clear the front of the net. Sekera, Leopold, Ehrhoff, Sulzer etc all are softer, smaller dmen. Last season Weber had more hits then Sekera + Leopold combined and Weber only played 51 games that season. Weber was 2nd in hits / game last year behind Foligno (who only played 14 games)

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Mike Weber sent down through waivers! I am not a big Weber fan but I don't think We can afford to Lose him. Aside from Regehr and Myers ( McNabb too but he hasnt been good enough this year) we have no one other dman capable of being able to throw his body around and having the strength/tenacity to clear the front of the net. Sekera, Leopold, Ehrhoff, Sulzer etc all are softer, smaller dmen. Last season Weber had more hits then Sekera + Leopold combined and Weber only played 51 games that season. Weber was 2nd in hits / game last year behind Foligno (who only played 14 games)

Is this right? Hard to believe.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
If I heard Darcy correctly after the scrimmage, sounds like he said they would replace Finley. But it was hard to hear Kevin O's original question.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009

The hit stats? Yes, those are correct. Foligno had a nice hit/game going, over 3. Foligno had 5 more hits then Kassian had as a Sabre and Foligno played 13 less games. And Weber is one of the few Sabres who can throw the body on a consistent basis. Kaleta throws more booming checks but misses several or else he would have more.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
The hit stats? Yes, those are correct. Foligno had a nice hit/game going, over 3. Foligno had 5 more hits then Kassian had as a Sabre and Foligno played 13 less games. And Weber is one of the few Sabres who can throw the body on a consistent basis. Kaleta throws more booming checks but misses several or else he would have more.

that he was sent down

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

No, just me speculating that he could be waived when everyone is assigning their guys and he may get through. He's deep down the depth chart and it's clear by his partner in practice/scrimmage that he's not part of the top 6.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

I get what Weber brings. That said, he's not part of the top 6 right now -- if he can bring a simple, safer game while continuing to play a physical game, great. That said, he's got to find a way to recapture some of his previous form as he's still throwing pucks away, even in a pick-up scrimmage where he's being pressured by AHL-level scrubs.

HiddenInLight

Sep 4, 2011

IIRC I think Pardy also plays that type of game FWIW.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
No, just me speculating that he could be waived when everyone is assigning their guys and he may get through. He's deep down the depth chart and it's clear by his partner in practice/scrimmage that he's not part of the top 6.

There is zero chance of that. He'd be grabbed immediately. Geeze,Finley was taken.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
The Isles also claimed Thomas Hickey from LA on waivers today.
Basically they just look to be taking shots in the dark because their pro scouts probably aren't the greatest.

I'd expect to get Finley back because Hickey has more potential as an NHL'er.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Basically they just look to be taking shots in the dark because their pro scouts probably aren't the greatest.

that pick was a headscratcher.... :laugh:

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Who is left to emerge? Any of the players on the Amerks with pro potential were already getting top duties. Pysyk, McNabb, Adam, Girgensons (injured), JGL and maybe Sundher are the only prospects currently in the farm system that have any sort of NHL future with Buffalo and you can argue if Adam does. The first 3 players I listed already got as much ice time as they can get, Sundher will still see bottom 6 duties and JGL needs less ice time at the moment. So essentially Rochester lost all of those players and none of our prospects will benefit from it. Do you really think Joe Finley moving on is going to make McNabb or Pysyk emerge?

It's obvious which side of the argument I've been on in regards to having a good AHL team with not only prospects but also veterans but Rochester has very few prospects on the team now which is why I don't understand how some people can argue it's a good thing.

I was really thinking of Matt McKenzie, who is sort of a forgotten prospect.

Rammstein816

Mar 16, 2009
MacKenzie has some sort of medical issue. I noted it as an UBI in threads before the holiday but idk if that has changed or not. There hasn't been much detail/press on it.

I think I also got news of a personal issue that he was having. If true, it has to be pretty serious for him to miss a month of games during his, essentially, make or break development year.

Disengage

Nov 11, 2007
I think I also got news of a personal issue that he was having. If true, it has to be pretty serious for him to miss a month of games during his, essentially, make or break development year.

I was going to bring that up. I haven't heard word on him in over a month.

Rammstein816

Mar 16, 2009
I was going to bring that up. I haven't heard word on him in over a month.

Every year needs a Mike Ryan. The difference is Ryan was a AHL ceiling guy and MacKenzie is a legit prospect. The timing of his "disappearance" couldn't have been worse from a career development perspective.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012

I say Finley is anywhere from 6-8 on the Isle depth chart depending on if Vishnovky comes back to play.

Maybe Islanders will sign Redden (if bought out before Saturday) and we'll get Finley back.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009

Can't believe they finally got rid of him. Still young enough to turn it around but if the reigning Cup champs deem you expendable that's not a good sign. Definitely one of the worst top 5 draft busts of all time. I wonder who else put in a claim for him.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

Yeah, Grabner didn't work out. Did he?

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Yeah, Grabner didn't work out. Did he?
Sure, I guess he did, although everyone has figured out that he's a one-trick pony.

However, they put in a claim on a 6'7'' pylon two days ago and followed it up with another waiver claim today because they're scrambling to fill their team.
They're just throwing **** and hoping it sticks, as the two players they claimed have five games of NHL experience total for good reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad