Confirmed with Link: Joe Finley claimed by NYI

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I'm not losing sleep over it, frankly. I know SF27 likes the guy, but I'm not a big fan. He hasn't been anywhere near as good as he was during the first half of 2011-12, and I'm not willing to ascribe all the blame to his various partners. That third goal of Wednesday's game vs Syracuse was downright embarrassing.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
I'm not losing sleep over it, frankly. I know SF27 likes the guy, but I'm not a big fan. He hasn't been anywhere near as good as he was during the first half of 2011-12, and I'm not willing to ascribe all the blame to his various partners. That third goal of Wednesday's game vs Syracuse was downright embarrassing.
I won't disagree, however, he's still been one of the teams best defensemen and one of the few who plays physically. It's a big loss to the team.

DixonWard15

Sep 27, 2011
He was great last year in Rochester, does this he is going to stay with the Islanders?

Oh and this also means Brennan is either going to stay in Buffalo or be traded.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Well, let's see if he sticks in Long Island. If Lubo Visnovsky stops pouting and returns to North America, I can't imagine he sticks, unless they keep him around as an 8D/14F enforcer-type (though they already have guys like Boulton and Martin who are more than happy to toss 'em).

If he doesn't stick, the Sabres can just claim him back, much the way the Coyotes did with Brett MacLean.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
As someone who views Rochester as nothing more than a training ground, good. More playing time for Pysyk, JGL, Matt McKenzie, McNabb. If Rochester winning hockey games is a priority to you, sorry.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Not a big deal to me.

He was intriguing last year when he came in, but his lack of hockey sense has become evident.
I'd be surprised if he sticks.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Well, let's see if he sticks in Long Island. If Lubo Visnovsky stops pouting and returns to North America, I can't imagine he sticks, unless they keep him around as an 8D/14F enforcer-type (though they already have guys like Boulton and Martin who are more than happy to toss 'em).

If he doesn't stick, the Sabres can just claim him back, much the way the Coyotes did with Brett MacLean.

Yeah, but meanwhile, there'a pretty big hole defensively. Pardy may eventually replace his playing time.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Does Finley really suck that much? From the limited time I've seen him he kind of looks like bambi on skates. I may be wrong though.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY

You're also forgetting Matt Carkner who is better at both fighting and playing hockey than Finley. Weird move.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Does Finley really suck that much? From the limited time I've seen him he kind of looks like bambi on skates. I may be wrong though.

No and don't listen to those comments. He's had a tougher year than last year, but still probably the Amerks number 1 defensemen and probably lead the team in ice time.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
There is no way in hell TJB could make it threw waivers if Finley didn't.

Probably correct at this point--though I'm not sure that this is anymore than a team being intrigued with Finley's size and raw upside; the Isles don't need offensive defensemen, and may not have claimed TJB. The Isles just did a huge favor for Brennan's chances of starting the season in Buffalo. At this point, I suspect they put Pardy on waivers and dare a team to take his $2m contract; if nobody claims him, he'll take Finley's minutes in Rochester.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Here is my 2 cents; I posted on the Amerks board.

Wow.
If there is this much of a demand for D, there is no way that Pardy or Brennan would clear.

Edit: Maybe Pardy, only because of his cap hit.

This is interesting now. From having a glut of D to the Amerks having only 6 D on the roster. Any bets that Amerks call up Fienhage and RR sits Schiestel?

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
A bit surprising given no one else but Finley was claimed in this round of waivers. I never saw a long-term future for Finley in Buffalo, but he was a consistent cog on Rochester's back-end. Hopefully this gives Schiestel a chance on defense, as I've forgotten what he looks like back there; either that or force Regier to make a signing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad