Confirmed with Link: Joe Finley claimed by NYI

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I fully expect Rochester to be bad now, but hopefully it gives some of the young guys an opportunity to really emerge.

I really hope the Sabres aren't daft enough to just throw a bunch of kids out there. The right vets can be very helpful in their development. Almost like coaches on the ice. IIRC McNabb mentioned Morrison's help in transitioning to the pro game.

punkr0x

Jul 2, 2009
They've lost Foligno, Hodgson, Brennan and now Finley. That's going to have a huge impact. Finley only adds to the already glaring issues.
Hodgson and Brennan were only on the roster because of the lockout (Foligno likely too). Every AHL team is going to be dealing with this.

I'm curious, why was Finley on waivers in the first place? With the Sabres' depth at D he certainly wasn't going to make the NHL club out of camp. It almost sounds like they were hoping someone would claim him. Unless they had to send him through waivers to keep him in the AHL?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Hodgson and Brennan were only on the roster because of the lockout (Foligno likely too). Every AHL team is going to be dealing with this.

I'm curious, why was Finley on waivers in the first place? With the Sabres' depth at D he certainly wasn't going to make the NHL club out of camp. It almost sounds like they were hoping someone would claim him. Unless they had to send him through waivers to keep him in the AHL?

It was simply a housekeeping issue. NHL started back up, so certain players had to clear waivers to keep playing in AHL.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Amerks beat the top team in the league (Crunch) last weekend in an away game without Hodgson and Foligno. So now is the question can others step up to replace Finley and Brennan. Pardy?, McNabb, Schiestel, Fienhage?

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Amerks beat the top team in the league (Crunch) last weekend in an away game without Hodgson and Foligno. So now is the question can others step up to replace Finley and Brennan. Pardy?, McNabb, Schiestel, Fienhage?
Crunch were down more players than the Amerks, though. Not that it wasn't an impressive win, but that Crunch team was a shell. And they'll be getting players back, unlike Rochester which was as strong as they'll be.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I fully expect Rochester to be bad now, but hopefully it gives some of the young guys an opportunity to really emerge.
Who is left to emerge? Any of the players on the Amerks with pro potential were already getting top duties. Pysyk, McNabb, Adam, Girgensons (injured), JGL and maybe Sundher are the only prospects currently in the farm system that have any sort of NHL future with Buffalo and you can argue if Adam does. The first 3 players I listed already got as much ice time as they can get, Sundher will still see bottom 6 duties and JGL needs less ice time at the moment. So essentially Rochester lost all of those players and none of our prospects will benefit from it. Do you really think Joe Finley moving on is going to make McNabb or Pysyk emerge?

It's obvious which side of the argument I've been on in regards to having a good AHL team with not only prospects but also veterans but Rochester has very few prospects on the team now which is why I don't understand how some people can argue it's a good thing.

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport

Yeah its hard to imagine that team winning games with all the lost players..

Yeah and no. Sure the talent is dropping in Rochester. They were playing with NHL level players that would be in Buffalo if not for the lockout. But the reality is I'm pretty sure most teams had NHL players on their roster. Most AHL teams will lose players this week. So I'm not going to go "The end is Nigh!!" on the Amerks just yet.

JOHNBOY

BUFFALO SABRES
Sep 30, 2003
Denver NC
Yeah and no. Sure the talent is dropping in Rochester. They were playing with NHL level players that would be in Buffalo if not for the lockout. But the reality is I'm pretty sure most teams had NHL players on their roster. Most AHL teams will lose players this week. So I'm not going to go "The end is Nigh!!" on the Amerks just yet.

true I didn't think about that.

Seen someone mention Shoanne Morrisons name above, is he still around? prob a FA right?

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
ah I see, but he isnt under contract with an NHL team right? Like he isn't loaned to KHL he signed there?

Correct. He signed KHL contract in the summer. Smart for him. Made more money than signing a NHL contract and only playing half a season.
The way NHL teams need D, I wonder if he has an out with his KHL contract to be able to sign in the NHL.

JOHNBOY

BUFFALO SABRES
Sep 30, 2003
Denver NC

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
That would be huge. Pardy I can see making his way down. not quite sure about Weber.

The way he's been playing, I'm not sure he'd get claimed, especially if there is a glut when everyone else starts getting assigned. His play has slipped badly, IMO.

PattyLaLa16

Apr 1, 2006
Rochester, NY
Who is left to emerge? Any of the players on the Amerks with pro potential were already getting top duties. Pysyk, McNabb, Adam, Girgensons (injured), JGL and maybe Sundher are the only prospects currently in the farm system that have any sort of NHL future with Buffalo and you can argue if Adam does. The first 3 players I listed already got as much ice time as they can get, Sundher will still see bottom 6 duties and JGL needs less ice time at the moment. So essentially Rochester lost all of those players and none of our prospects will benefit from it. Do you really think Joe Finley moving on is going to make McNabb or Pysyk emerge?

It's obvious which side of the argument I've been on in regards to having a good AHL team with not only prospects but also veterans but Rochester has very few prospects on the team now which is why I don't understand how some people can argue it's a good thing.

Couldn't agree more, The Sabres were already thin in Roch on the blueline as it was. McNabb, Pysyk, Leduc have all been getting good minutes for months now anyways. Very little will change in that regard.

As far as salvaging Schiestel, highly unlikely. They've done everything possible in the last yr to screw him up. Give him away for nothing, bring him back to play forward. Send him to the ECHL for 2 days then bring him back and sit him for the next 2 months.

My thoughts on Finley are this, he's not an NHL prospect but he was really the only decent defenseman the Amerks could hang their hat on in the d-zone. Brennan is all offense, McNabb has been a dumpster fire in every facit except the PP. Leduc is not up to AHL standards yet, and Pysyk after a promising October has been MIA the past few months.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
The guy may not be a natural heavyweight, but he knows how to clear a crease, and he won't hurt you if given limited, 3rd pairing minutes. One less tool in the Rochester tool box, which is running out of tools pretty quick.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Because of the loss of Finley? Even if he was their best D, not sure his loss makes it a sure thing that they will be a terrible team.

They will likely to be using McNabb and a rookie of sorts as their top pairing...The top line in Rochester will have Mancari on it lol.

forget what their win-loss ratio is...i go to the games to watch and have fun and be entertained and frankly the only left to entertain me is Tarnasty lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad