Joe Colborne is Really Tall

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Hi everyone. First time poster here. My other forum is DOA so I thought I'd make this my new home. I don't have any issues with Colborne per se. I think he need to be stronger on the puck and play with more of an edge. And I think that will improve as he gains more experience. I have been singularly disappointed in Backs. We all know or think we know what he is capable of. It just that he never gets there.

All I know is that given our recent outings and the big teams in this conference, we are woefully under-sized. We need to get bigger so I wouldn't be surprised to see some of our smaller players get traded. Some before Christmas. Some after.

Welcome :)

To be fair, Burke said that Colborne is not a gritty guy, but I honestly don't think Colborne is skating as well as he could be. Once he gets his legs moving, he'll want to drive guys into the boards. Similarly, being strong on the puck involves being strong on your legs. I think that's the difference we're seeing from Colborne now and the Colborne we saw a few games into the season.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
I really like what the line rushes looked like this morning!

@SUNGilbertson: #Flames lines this morning: Cammalleri-Monahan-Hudler, Baertschi-Stajan-Stempniak, Galiardi-Backlund-Jones, Bouma-Colborne-McGrattan.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

@SUNGilbertson: #Flames lines this morning: Cammalleri-Monahan-Hudler, Baertschi-Stajan-Stempniak, Galiardi-Backlund-Jones, Bouma-Colborne-McGrattan.

Those aren't bad, I like Sven's line. While Stajan isn't super creative, him and Stemps are both defensively responsible and maybe that will allow Sven to do his thing.

Of course I know why you like the lines so much lol, I don't have any issues with them.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA

I greatly approve of these lines. Also predicting a big game from Cammalleri.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

Awesome looks like everyone has something to be happy about and most importantly we are only 8 hours away from cripple fight 2013 :laugh:

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Awesome looks like everyone has something to be happy about and most importantly we are only 8 hours away from cripple fight 2013 :laugh:

This is a huge game for both teams. A win is an absolute must. I predict and ugly, physical battle tonight.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I think the Flames will bounce back tonight and resume their dogged puck pursuit. Playing sometime on the 4 line won't hurt Colborne and if Backs isn't playing well, he could move up quickly.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I don't get the hate at all. He struggles controlling the puck for sure but that is something that can be taught and you can already notice him getting better than his first few games with us.

Also this literally isn't true

Does he have negatives about his game? Yes of course, but there is no way you can tell me you don't think he is better than a 4th liner.

Backlund is a 4th liner because of a coaching decision, not his actual ability.

Arbitrary categories:
Skating: CLEARLY Backlund
Shot: Backlund
Passing: Backlund so hard it hurts
Awareness: Backlund to the moon and back(lund)
Any kind of defensive play ever: Backlund
Balance: Backlund time and again
Puck protection: Backlund to the future

Backlund has three weaknesses that I see on a regular basis: he's not as aggressive as he should be in the offensive zone, he's not particularly good at faceoffs, and he's not as strong as a lot of other guys (he's not weak, but he's never going to blast through a team). Colborne is worse at faceoffs, is shockingly weak for his frame, and instead of being too conservative in the offensive zone, looks straight-up confused the majority of the time.

I don't hate Colborne per se, but I hate a lot of what he does on the ice, and what I really hate is the fact that people (including Bob Hartley) think he's actually playing well at this point. I guess I expected a little more of a polished game from a 23 (almost 24) year old who's spent three years playing pro hockey already.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Backlund is a 4th liner because of a coaching decision, not his actual ability.

Arbitrary categories:
Skating: CLEARLY Backlund
Shot: Backlund
Passing: Backlund so hard it hurts
Awareness: Backlund to the moon and back(lund)
Any kind of defensive play ever: Backlund
Balance: Backlund time and again
Puck protection: Backlund to the future

Backlund has three weaknesses that I see on a regular basis: he's not as aggressive as he should be in the offensive zone, he's not particularly good at faceoffs, and he's not as strong as a lot of other guys (he's not weak, but he's never going to blast through a team). Colborne is worse at faceoffs, is shockingly weak for his frame, and instead of being too conservative in the offensive zone, looks straight-up confused the majority of the time.

This depends strongly on the area of the ice you're talking about. Through the neutral zone and in the slot, absolutely "go Backlund to where you're from." Close to the boards, I'm afraid your point isn't Colborne out.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
This depends strongly on the area of the ice you're talking about. Through the neutral zone and in the slot, absolutely "go Backlund to where you're from." Close to the boards, I'm afraid your point isn't Colborne out.

Colborne does have an advantage on the boards, I'll give him that. But away from the boards it drives me nuts how he fails to use his frame to shield it. Watching him vs even a shrimp (a very good shrimp, but still a guy who's at a 7 inch disadvantage) like Cammalleri with the puck is night and day. Maybe they should put Colborne on the wing full-time. More work against the boards, a lot less responsibility, etc. might do him some good.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Colborne does have an advantage on the boards, I'll give him that. But away from the boards it drives me nuts how he fails to use his frame to shield it. Watching him vs even a shrimp (a very good shrimp, but still a guy who's at a 7 inch disadvantage) like Cammalleri with the puck is night and day. Maybe they should put Colborne on the wing full-time. More work against the boards, a lot less responsibility, etc. might do him some good.

I'm willing to give him time to develop those skills. He's a little clumsy right now, but if he can become more coordinated and learn how to use his body, he could be a big weapon (in many senses).

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Colborne got 6:12 minutes of ice time and was 33% on the faceoff against the Oilers the other night.

If Baertchi and Backlund get scratched, I want to see Colbs next.

LetsGoFlames

Drop the puck!
Dec 18, 2011
Weyburn, Sk
I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a Colborne fan. I don't care where he's from or how tall he is. The fact of the matter is he's soft, and embarrassingly awkward out there. That said, I thought he had a very good game against the Oilers, despite the outcome and his very limited ice time. First game I've seen him play that made me want to say he did well. Still junk on the faceoffs though. Still thinking average 3rd line ceiling at best.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Colborne got 6:12 minutes of ice time and was 33% on the faceoff against the Oilers the other night.

I just looked at the flames app and the projected lines have Jackman playing on a line with Monahan and Hudler and Sven not even on there :facepalm:. **** this ****.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

In favour of....? I think scratching a centre and only playing with 3 is a poor idea, it failed miserably when they scratched Backlund, not worth doing it again IMO.

TylerSVT*

Colborne is probably one of the most over rated players on this team. That said he has some positives.

This. He has to be the laziest "big bodied" center in the NHL. How a guy can be his height and his size, and still be so terrible is beyond me.

He looks like Boumeester out there, no care, no fight, no agression. At least Boumeester had skills, Colborne is just terrible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad