Joe Colborne is Really Tall

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I disagree, and we don't have to look farther than last game for proof. I prefer his game to Backlund's as atleast he is making plays even if they don't work out Backlund seems to waste his offensive time trying to set up the perfect play.

The powerplay's 2 for the last ~34. Colborne's been a fixture on it for a good chunk of that.

And yeah, Backlund's struggling in the offensive zone. It's almost like he has no confidence. I wonder why that is - could it be that demoting Backlund after he looks absolutely stellar between Cammalleri and Hudler because of a one poor followup game is making things inordinately difficult?

Backlund's been neutered offensively, partly because of coaching, and partly because of what's going on in his head. But thus far, he's shown much more aptitude in the offensive zone than Colborne ever has in the NHL.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Why do our fans feel the need to trash our own players? There are enough opposition players for us to hate without us treating our like crap.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Why do our fans feel the need to trash our own players? There are enough opposition players for us to hate without us treating our like crap.

1375029219394.gif

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
The powerplay's 2 for the last ~34. Colborne's been a fixture on it for a good chunk of that.

And yeah, Backlund's struggling in the offensive zone. It's almost like he has no confidence. I wonder why that is - could it be that demoting Backlund after he looks absolutely stellar between Cammalleri and Hudler because of a one poor followup game is making things inordinately difficult?

Backlund's been neutered offensively, partly because of coaching, and partly because of what's going on in his head. But thus far, he's shown much more aptitude in the offensive zone than Colborne ever has in the NHL.

Given that GlenX was on the pp for a large portion of that 0 for 30 tells me it isn't the guy screening that is the problem who can you conclude that?

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010

I disagree. As a major playa hata, I'm simply not provided enough playas to hate on. And no, I cannot hate da game.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
It's a rebuild, so keep playing Colborne, even if he's struggling.

It's a rebuild, so bench Backlund and Baertschi if they're struggling.

Flames' logic.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Colborne is a 3rd line center at best, this is not news and we don't have a true top line center. But apparently, according to one poster all of Backlund's and Baertschi's struggles can attributed to the coach, and lack of support from him.

At some point players gotta play. Hartley hasn't been perfect by any means, and I'll cut Sven more slack because he's younger, but Backlund has been a disappointment no matter which way you slice it. The only one Backlund is competing against is himself.

Backlund is on a higher level than Colborne and if he wants more minutes then he needs to show it.

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
Backlund is on a higher level than Colborne and if he wants more minutes then he needs to show it.

Exactly. Backlund is on a contract to prove he fits the long term plans of this team. So far he is failing. Enough with this he needs more ice time crap. He doesn't show **** when given the time and this has been going on for a few seasons.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

Flames management is on record stating they believe both Backlund and Colborne are going to be third line centres in the NHL.

Based on the organizations similar expectations, if Backlund's offensive production is a disappointment now that he's mostly playing on the forth lline, then Colborne's production is nothing short of an unmitigated disaster given his top six role.

People really need to get over the fact that while Backlund may never end up being a first line centre in the NHL, him turning into a solid second or third line centre isn't exactly a bad thing in anyway shape or form. Nor is it a good reason to jettison a player because they didn't live up to whatever ridiculous expectations people placed on them.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Flames management is on record stating they believe both Backlund and Colborne are going to be third line centres in the NHL.

Based on the organizations similar expectations, if Backlund's offensive production is a disappointment now that he's mostly playing on the forth lline, then Colborne's production is nothing short of an unmitigated disaster given his top six role.

People really need to get over the fact that while Backlund may never end up being a first line centre in the NHL, him turning into a solid second or third line centre isn't exactly a bad thing in anyway shape or form. Nor is it a good reason to jettison a player because they didn't live up to whatever ridiculous expectations people placed on them.

That's what you don't get. Hartley doesn't want Backlund to be just a 3rd line center which is already now. Hartley doesn't want to piss this season away and for that to happen he needs a Backlund to step up and be a top player on the team. You can point the finger all you want, but at some point Backlund needs to man up and give Hartley a reason not to cut his minutes.

For a poster that has put a de-emphasis on leadership and intangibles, I question if you have ever coached on a competitive level or have any personal experience with motivating individuals to a high level. Your extremely vocal on a subject I doubt you have any personal experience on. And if I'm wrong about this, I'll be more than happy to eat crow.

Hartley is pushing Backlund to be better, to take that next step.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
That's what you don't get. Hartley doesn't want Backlund to be just a 3rd line center which is already now. Hartley doesn't want to piss this season away and for that to happen he needs a Backlund to step up and be a top player on the team. You can point the finger all you want, but at some point Backlund needs to man up and give Hartley a reason not to cut his minutes.

This is just the Stajan debate rehashed. Stajan was demoted to the 4th line because he wasn't showing enough to Brent Sutter. But Stajan persevered and improved. Of course, that improvement only came after Hartley moved him to the top six and gave him more ice time and better linemates. Surprise, surprise.

Wasn't your opinion on Stajan under B.Sutter exactly the same as it is on Backlund now?

For a poster that has put a de-emphasis on leadership and intangibles, I question if you have ever coached on a competitive level or have any personal experience with motivating individuals to a high level. Your extremely vocal on a subject I doubt you have any personal experience on. And if I'm wrong about this, I'll be more than happy to eat crow.

12war-gif_001336.gif

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009

Hartley is pushing Backlund to be better, to take that next step.

Like by going out and playing his best game of his season against Colorado?

Do you know how long it took for him to be subsequently scapegoated by Hartley after that performance? Half a game! (in which the ENTIRE team was downright terrible)

You see it as pushing Backlund..while we see it as deterring his confidence and progression as a player. Based upon his step back this season it is hard for me to see how the management of his icetime over the past few weeks has been beneficial to him as a player in anyway.

I fail to see how playing a potential third line center in a top six capacity, and a potential second line center in a fourth line role is encouraging them to reach those expectations. If anything it is hugely counterproductive to reaching that goal.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
This is just the Stajan debate rehashed. Stajan was demoted to the 4th line because he wasn't showing enough to Brent Sutter. But Stajan persevered and improved. Of course, that improvement only came after Hartley moved him to the top six and gave him more ice time and better linemates. Surprise, surprise.

Wasn't your opinion on Stajan under B.Sutter exactly the same as it is on Backlund now?

12war-gif_001336.gif

53509-Hemorrhaging-upvotes--My-secon-Y7WP.gif

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA

12war-gif_001336.gif

#shotsfired

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

Wasn't your opinion on Stajan under B.Sutter exactly the same as it is on Backlund

The main difference being that Stajan had already shown to be a 45-50pt center before he came here. Hartley is trying to push Backlund to get to that point. I'm not saying Hartley has been perfect, but Backlund has been a disappointment and no one can deny that or put that solely on the coach.

I don't think Colborne has done anything special by any means, I've never said anything other than he's been good for his expectations. But more is expected out of Backlund and Hartley is challenging him. When Hartley sees what he wants out of him, he'll see more minutes.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
This is totally the Stajan debate. Except I'm not sure if Colborne is playing the role of Comeau or Moss or what.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Geez, same argument different thread.

Stajan > Backlund > Monahan > Colborne

IMO.

And what do I hate about Colborne?

His face

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Geez, same argument different thread.

Stajan > Backlund > Monahan > Colborne

IMO.

And what do I hate about Colborne?

His face

I'd even go as far as saying Colborne = Monahan as of late. Reinhart was better than all of them!

They're young guys. This is the season for them to have the ups and downs and growing pains when logging important minutes.

And what's the dilly with his face? You're being facetious or dramatic, no?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
If by the end of the season Backlund hasn't turned a corner in his game and broken out, then obviously the treatment he is getting now will be all for not and Hartley needs to live with that and that it failed. Sven are Backlund are getting this treatment because they are viewed as players that are supposed to be impact, top 6 players and guys that stand out on this team. I don't think this is like Stajan all over again, because the coach doesn't feel that the player is just useless, he's trying to get him to another level, that's a big difference to me. It also sounds like that everyone is just putting this on the coach and nothing on the player, therefore just saying it's fine for them to go out and just coast some nights because their young and it's normal. My repsonse to that is that this isn't Edmonton and being a loser isn't acceptable.

Hartley is being hard on these 2 guys because he wants them to be our top players, and they need to be for us to win games. That's all I'm going to comment on the matter.

Last edited:

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
I like Colborne. He is what he is, it's a rebuild get over it.

Yeah. As I was thinking when we acquired him, I don't particularly care what he does this year. I just want him to get NHL ice-time and experience, so there's no debate what we have in him by next season (when we have to decide whether to waive or keep).

He's done some good things, he's done some more questionable things lately. But big forwards can be difficult to project, but considering how he's played in the AHL in stretches and some of his games this year, we can ride him out for the year and make a decision next camp.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It's like people are too hung up on their Backlund man crush to stop and realize that Colbourne is still a rookie. A rookie averaging less than 13 minutes a night that is on pace for about 20 points. While those aren't jaw dropping numbers they are very respectable. The biggest thing is when acquired the complaints were his skating, physical play and commitment. None of which have been problems and if anything have been the best parts of his game.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Hi everyone. First time poster here. My other forum is DOA so I thought I'd make this my new home. I don't have any issues with Colborne per se. I think he need to be stronger on the puck and play with more of an edge. And I think that will improve as he gains more experience. I have been singularly disappointed in Backs. We all know or think we know what he is capable of. It just that he never gets there.

All I know is that given our recent outings and the big teams in this conference, we are woefully under-sized. We need to get bigger so I wouldn't be surprised to see some of our smaller players get traded. Some before Christmas. Some after.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad