Joaquin Phoenix to play the Joker in standalone movie

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
Count me among those who feel this film is being overrated

If it had been called "Clown", and had nothing to do with DC, nobody would be talking about it

What does DC have to do with anything? Its not like their reputation has been great with superheroes lately.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
And Phillips refuted THR report: Todd Phillips Refutes and Corrects ‘Joker 2’ Reports

“Here’s the real truth about a sequel. While Joaquin and I have talked about it, and while touring the world with Warner Bros executives — going to Toronto, and Venice, and other places — of course, we’re sitting at dinner and they’re saying, ‘So, have you thought about…?’ But, talking about contracts, there’s not a contract for us to even write a sequel, we’ve never approached Joaquin to be in a sequel. Will that happen? Again, I just think the article was anticipatory at best.”

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
spaceballs2-banner.jpg

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Finally got around to seeing this. It's very well done and Phoenix kills it as expected. I was surprised there were more tie ins to Batman than I expected. It's not a movie I would want to watch again, that's enough time with Arthur. Phoenix really made you feel uneasy throughout.

I read where the director would like a sequel but doesn't want to do it. It won't work unless Phoenix is in it as well.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Count me among those who feel this film is being overrated

If it had been called "Clown", and had nothing to do with DC, nobody would be talking about it
So remove all context in a lot of films and they wouldn't be as popular.
Pointless post IMO.

Reactions: tacogeoff

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
probably one of the better movies I have seen in 2019. Phoenix was ridiculously great in this roll. I did find the end a bit to preachy when he was speaking with Murray about mental illness. it kind of took away from the character we were watching during the movie. jmo though.

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
Phoenix did an outstanding acting job, but I can't help but feel that the film was exploitative of people with mental health issues. I don't quite understand the underlying message, either - unless the message is meant to be 'the mentally ill are not to be trusted'. OK, I guess a bit about how people should be kinder to one another in public, and fair enough... but Sophie was kind to Arthur on the elevator. And that theme was only half-heartedly espoused.

I guess what I'm saying is that it felt like an exploitation film.

sdf

Jan 23, 2015
Rostov on Don
The trailer was made in such an epic and badass way that I was wondering what they prepared for this story, and after I went to the cinema for the first time in my life to see this movie, I realized that nothing. It's just a story about a guy with big problems and a shitty life who then just turns into a Joker, and that's it. Lol

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Phoenix did an outstanding acting job, but I can't help but feel that the film was exploitative of people with mental health issues. I don't quite understand the underlying message, either - unless the message is meant to be 'the mentally ill are not to be trusted'. OK, I guess a bit about how people should be kinder to one another in public, and fair enough... but Sophie was kind to Arthur on the elevator. And that theme was only half-heartedly espoused.

At that point, why not consider every movie with a villain of any nature exploitative of (Russians, Europeans, Americans, gangs, mafias, Japanese, the government, white people...the list never ends)?

Why can nothing just be a story about one character anymore? Why is it that anytime "the bad guy" has any specific identifying trait, "we" have to take this to mean "This is how (people with certain conditions/from this country/of this nature/etc.) are! Every one of them! This isn't a unique character who happens to (be this/have that), this is definitely a representation of every single similar person!"

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
At that point, why not consider every movie with a villain of any nature exploitative of (Russians, Europeans, Americans, gangs, mafias, Japanese, the government, white people...the list never ends)?

Why can nothing just be a story about one character anymore? Why is it that anytime "the bad guy" has any specific identifying trait, "we" have to take this to mean "This is how (people with certain conditions/from this country/of this nature/etc.) are! Every one of them! This isn't a unique character who happens to (be this/have that), this is definitely a representation of every single similar person!"
Can we both enjoy a story on its own but also discuss the portrayal of a marginalized class of people and how it can affect the perception of that class in society?

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Finally got around to seeing this. It's very well done and Phoenix kills it as expected. I was surprised there were more tie ins to Batman than I expected. It's not a movie I would want to watch again, that's enough time with Arthur. Phoenix really made you feel uneasy throughout.

I read where the director would like a sequel but doesn't want to do it. It won't work unless Phoenix is in it as well.

DC could do it without Phoenix.

Man standing over a grave. Pan to see the grave is Arthur's.

Man throws some liquor on the grave, says thanks for the idea.

Man is seen..... It's Jared Leto as Joker.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Can we both enjoy a story on its own but also discuss the portrayal of a marginalized class of people and how it can affect the perception of that class in society?

If one goes out fearing "marginalized people" because of this movie, I'm not sure there's anything I can say to help.

I just watched Lethal Weapon 2 the other night, now I have to pay attention to all these German people around here because they can't be trusted. I suppose these could have been bad people from Germany, but the movie clearly told me all Germans were bad, so :shrug:

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
If one goes out fearing "marginalized people" because of this movie, I'm not sure there's anything I can say to help.

I just watched Lethal Weapon 2 the other night, now I have to pay attention to all these German people around here because they can't be trusted. I suppose these could have been bad people from Germany, but the movie clearly told me all Germans were bad, so :shrug:

Mel Gibson also has mental health issues in that series and probably does in real life as well.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Jane, you ignorant slut!

SOUTH AFRICAN!

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

I feel a movie like Rain Man was more of an exploitation film about Autism than the Joker was to people with mental illness.

I guess in the end, both movies give a very poor representation for people with these conditions that undoubtedly would lead to pre-judgements.

I guess it would have been better to show Arthur overcome his mental condition, but then you wouldn’t have the Joker arc obviously.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
The general hysteria surrounding this film before it even released was pretty damn cringey.

Reactions: holy

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I feel a movie like Rain Man was more of an exploitation film about Autism than the Joker was to people with mental illness.

I guess in the end, both movies give a very poor representation for people with these conditions that undoubtedly would lead to pre-judgements.

I guess it would have been better to show Arthur overcome his mental condition, but then you wouldn’t have the Joker arc obviously.

I think Rainman did an excellent job of educating the general public about Autism relative to their potential strengths and limitations. People are generally ignorant of various conditions and classify the collective group into one category. Hoffman brought a deeper understanding as did the movie with Cruise exhibiting typical behaviour towards people with these conditions.

On this topic can you kill someone and not have a mental health issue? Can you just be a bad person or do we as a society have to find something mentally wrong with the person to justify it? Is just this how Arthur was and he was told from an early age he has to fix it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad