Prospect Info: Joël Teasdale (QMJHL Rouyn-Noranda)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I really noticed a few things about him. First and foremost was his desire to get to the net with the puck. He seems to simplify things and use various tactics (speed change, puck protection, etc) with the goal of just getting the puck to the danger areas. And his forecheck was relentless and effective. He uses his body so well and understands the simplest way to get results is to attack the danger areas. These are all things that make me think he has something to offer long term.

Lots to like in his game. He won't lead a line offensively but he can be effective in a support role. I don't see many weakness to his game and he is certainly on the right track. Not afraid of the physical part of the game and he can win puck battles.

Offensive ability is pretty solid. If he plays with Laval next year, it will be interesting to see how he fits.

Imagine a Teasdale / Poehling / Suzuki line? I know, Poehling might make the NHL roster and why put 3 rookies on the same line? But still... looks like this would be one heck of a good line in terms of skill, grit, and balance if you ask me.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Lots to like in his game. He won't lead a line offensively but he can be effective in a support role. I don't see many weakness to his game and he is certainly on the right track. Not afraid of the physical part of the game and he can win puck battles.

Offensive ability is pretty solid. If he plays with Laval next year, it will be interesting to see how he fits.

Imagine a Teasdale / Poehling / Suzuki line? I know, Poehling might make the NHL roster and why put 3 rookies on the same line? But still... looks like this would be one heck of a good line in terms of skill, grit, and balance if you ask me.

I think It would be better

UFA(a guy like Terry/Agostino/Froese)/Poehling/Suzuki

But I would put Poehling and Suzuki Center in the AHL

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Weird how some players get overlooked in the draft only to excel the following year. Teasdale, Leason come to mind.

How is Teasdale’s hockey smarts and skating?

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Teasdale can be a Michael Ferland clone. Just plays the game hard, north-south, goes to the net.

Reactions: Vachon23

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
You really see Teasdale as a bottom player? I was impressed with him at training camp. I see his ceiling as a 2nd liner. There was something about his game that caught my eye.

I didn't really see him in training camp but from the highlights I don't know if I can say that he can't be a top 6er. Just because he's not super skilled doesn't mean he can't be in a top 6. His skating looks fine to me. Looks like he's really good at protecting the puck and is good in tight. Looks strong, apparently has a great motor. Gallagher with size? Sign me up!

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
How were we able to sign him when another 99er Leason is in the draft this year?

There's a window in the summer to sign these undrafted U-20 guys from the CHL. Leason could've been signed too, he just wasn't on anyone's radar back then.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You really see Teasdale as a bottom player? I was impressed with him at training camp. I see his ceiling as a 2nd liner. There was something about his game that caught my eye.

We will see what he can do next year when he turns pro. He has the style of game that might translate well from Q to AHL.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
“It feels good finally. I won the President Cup and it's not finish... It remains the Memorial Cup.”

“It's an incredible feeling... I'm having trouble describing it right now... That's what I've been waiting for since I arrived at the juniors. It's fun to be rewarded by those stats and to play well. But all that is a collective work. If even a single player of our team wasn't working on ice maybe that wouldn't happened. Everyone gave his contribution on ice and it pays off.”

Reactions: savard95

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
“It was really different. I left my home in Boisbriand to move far away. To arrive here in Rouyn-Noranda at a boarding house far from my family... In sporting terms, just to be in a new team. But what helped me the most is that the Armada and the Huskies they're teams who've quite a bit the same philosophy. So it wasn't a big difference on ice... Since I arrived in Rouyn-Noranda, I've been more autonomous. Both on the ice and off ice. I've more freedom... My mother did a lot for me in Boisbriand. She followed me closely. In boarding house, I learnt a different aspect of life... I'm participating in daily tasks. It's nice.”

“It's unbelievable. We really have an amazing group of guys. It's the chemistry that brought us that far.”

“It's incredible, the fans of the Huskies. It's pretty crazy the noise on the rink where we're playing. During the intermissions, we can't even hear ourselves on the bench.”

“Yes, I knew it. But I didnt think about it too much. I won the cup once during my seventy games of QMJHL's PO. It doesn't mean much he number of games... You just want to lift the cup.”

“Been much criticized during my early years for my constancy. During a game, I had a lot of ups and downs. And from game to game too. This year, I've been pretty constant all year long...”

“Having a contract with the Montreal Canadiens it took me a little weight and pressure off my shoulders. My head was a little more free. This is the biggest difference... Before, I always thought of scouts in the stands. Now I don't have that pressure anymore... I'm really like lighter on the ice and I play more freely.”

“Joel Bouchard was very intense. He knew that if he pushed me, I was going to react back to it. He was more on my back. It was black or white. I was a bit too fat. He squeezed into me and it was a real lesson of life. I'm grateful from what he did for me. I was a lot slower and I was trying to rely only on my skills. To have a little break of his intensity, it made me feel good. But it's a coach who's been really good to me and I cannot wait to be back with...”

“With Mario Pouliot, it's a little different. He's also black or white. But he doesn't need to push me in the back to tell me what to do. I do it on my own... It's a complementary freedom. I really appreciate his attitude and his approach.”

“I had a lot of expectations at the first draft in Chicago. I had a fairly high rank on some lists. Sure it was a huge disappointment...”

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
He really did stand out in training camp/preseason
Stand out in the last training camp & preseason. From here on, keep on stand out for the next training camps & preseasons.
That's the expected trajectory I think as well. I'm just not sure I'd base it on the camp, as I thought he looked great in camp. If I was basing it on camp, I might be fooled into thinking there is top-6 upside.
I really noticed a few things about him. First and foremost was his desire to get to the net with the puck. He seems to simplify things and use various tactics (speed change, puck protection, etc) with the goal of just getting the puck to the danger areas. And his forecheck was relentless and effective. He uses his body so well and understands the simplest way to get results is to attack the danger areas. These are all things that make me think he has something to offer long term.
Teasdale can be long term project. I'll not base myself to what he've done only in the Q for a final picture. That's he's a little summary picure. The rest is yet to come. There's a long road to go. Before arriving the NHL. Like fully fit in each hockey aspects.
yeah I don't think you have to be sheer skill to be a top 6er necessarily. Not saying I think JT has legit top 6 upside or not but Gallagher's a good example.
I didn't really see him in training camp but from the highlights I don't know if I can say that he can't be a top 6er. Just because he's not super skilled doesn't mean he can't be in a top 6. His skating looks fine to me. Looks like he's really good at protecting the puck and is good in tight. Looks strong, apparently has a great motor. Gallagher with size? Sign me up!
His profile is attractive.
If we can start developing our own Bottom player it will be a good thing ! They will cost us nothing
A free asset... Nothing to lose. Everything to win.
We will see what he can do next year when he turns pro. He has the style of game that might translate well from Q to AHL.
Need to close the Q League page tho. Then turn a new page. Don't obstruct his future by looking only in the past. Before, with having that past bad behavior he learnt many life lessons.
Weird how some players get overlooked in the draft only to excel the following year. Teasdale, Leason come to mind.
How is Teasdale’s hockey smarts and skating?
Until now, he's succeeding his hockey games. As a type of pre-test. There's other tests way next. Atm, he's been possessed by the demon gods of hockey. So atm smarts and skating is off the charts.
34 pts so far for Teasdale. Most points in the Q since 2014 when a guy named Drouin had 41 pts in 14 games!
Want those type of points being translated in the AHL. Be a beast in the PO there too.
Our most underrated prospect. Also bouchard in the AHL bodes well for his development.
It’s just starting. It’s not ending. He got the adrenalines in all of his games. Being with Bouchard once again is another positive news.
Teasdale looking great. This may be a stroke of genius by the Habs organization.
It’s those type of Q players we wanted. A % of talent on them must be required too tho. No diva players. Players who bleed. Players who sweat. Players who play for the jersey. It’s not difficult to find them. It’s priceless when we get ‘em.

Reactions: Redux91

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

His style of game does project well towards the pro level IMO. He's got work to do and needs to keep improving.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Teasdale can be a Michael Ferland clone. Just plays the game hard, north-south, goes to the net.
In how many years?
Want him too be a regular player in the NHL. Whatever will be his role there. Not a scratched player. Not a bust.
I just watched him in the finals and that’s a good comparison. We have to remember though that Teasdale is playing with boys, Ferland is performing in the show.
There’s the world of boys. There’s the world of men. Quit off soon that first world. Then learn how to become part of that second world soon.
Not in the NHL... in the NHL I see him playing on the bottom 6... I see on him a player like Steve Begin but Teasdale have more talent of Begin... Can kill the PK, always dangerous near the net on the PP, only thing he can upgraded is the faceoff.
Hits on the board is way above the average. It’s a growing men who’s just lacking some little tools.
Based on last year's training camp, I don't see much more than a future bottom sixer but I really liked his game and was happy we got him signed. Promising development in the Q too.
Not into a savior role. But more into a contributor role. It's up to Teasdale. To show us it's for a part-time. Or to show us it's for full-time. It’s those type of signing where I see more pros than cons.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
The Q is such a weak league... Teasdale would be a first round pick this year if not signed by Bergevin last summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad