JM Fantasy League (New League, Sign up + Discussion) (BUF, CGY open)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
30 teams is really tough in terms of keeping all teams in check. We'll end up getting about 10 deadbeat teams/GM's again. Maybe 20 solid GM's is better than 20 good ones and 10 iffy ones.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
30 teams is really tough in terms of keeping all teams in check. We'll end up getting about 10 deadbeat teams/GM's again. Maybe 20 solid GM's is better than 20 good ones and 10 iffy ones.

I'm not willing to run a league if it's not 30 GM's. I'm not asking any more people to join the league so if we get about 23 people I'll allow some to take 2 teams and we can possibly avoid that.

I'm thinking of rules and such as we go that will hopefully improve the activity but honestly I think a fresh league is a good start. Some people are active but they have crap teams and it lowers interest.

TheNudge

Aug 11, 2008
Sending a list is too hard?

No but when your drafting a team you want to be able to make some trades (pick wise) and also I prefer to draft live. Is it possible to start after this weekend ?
I'll be in New York City from friday till monday for a wedding.

TheNudge

Aug 11, 2008
Also how can I determine wich player is the right one if I'm not here to determine wich trend gm went with. If by a chance goaltender are taken early and the one I had on my list are gone. So then my top starter would then fall on a guy like Vokoun or Theo. That's why sending a list would then be useless.

I still want to be part of this league since I love the last one and I was very active.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
No but when your drafting a team you want to be able to make some trades (pick wise) and also I prefer to draft live. Is it possible to start after this weekend ?
I'll be in New York City from friday till monday for a wedding.
I don't know when we will be starting. I don't even have the draft thread or anything started I'm just waiting for everyone to sign up with a team but if it happens to start sometime during the weekend it won't be a big deal. You might be autoed 1 player.
Also how can I determine wich player is the right one if I'm not here to determine wich trend gm went with. If by a chance goaltender are taken early and the one I had on my list are gone. So then my top starter would then fall on a guy like Vokoun or Theo. That's why sending a list would then be useless.

I still want to be part of this league since I love the last one and I was very active.
You can send me a list saying "if so and so is picked then I want this guy."

A live draft would be superb but im cool with anything im working on getting some more guys
We are never going to find a day that is good for everyone.

The Press Express

Sep 16, 2012
@PressDontStress
I don't know when we will be starting. I don't even have the draft thread or anything started I'm just waiting for everyone to sign up with a team but if it happens to start sometime during the weekend it won't be a big deal. You might be autoed 1 player.

You can send me a list saying "if so and so is picked then I want this guy."

We are never going to find a day that is good for everyone.

How did you do it last year?

Chandrashekhar Limit

Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
How did you do it last year?

Everyone has 2 hours, and we PM the next guy in line once we're done picking. If someone doesn't pick within the 2 hours you skip them and go to the next person. Takes about 2 or so months I think, but it's a lot more managable than trying to get 30 people to sit together for hours to do a live draft.

Things will be clearer when JM makes a draft thread outlining all the details. The stickied thread of JM's current league has a link to the previous roster draft. You can take a look at that to get an idea.

TheNudge

Aug 11, 2008
Are we gona have a bit of time to trade before the draft start ?

Who want to trade for my 1st ?

The Press Express

Sep 16, 2012
@PressDontStress
Everyone has 2 hours, and we PM the next guy in line once we're done picking. If someone doesn't pick within the 2 hours you skip them and go to the next person. Takes about 2 or so months I think, but it's a lot more managable than trying to get 30 people to sit together for hours to do a live draft.

Things will be clearer when JM makes a draft thread outlining all the details. The stickied thread of JM's current league has a link to the previous roster draft. You can take a look at that to get an idea.

gotcha 2 months is a long time

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I think we should bring back the enforcer.

I've been thinking about that. It's just hard because what do we call an enforcer? A guy that racks up PIM's is not an enforcer to me. George Parros and Darcy Hordichuk are enforcers. David Clarkson was considered an enforcer in the last league, but he's also a 30 goal scorer. So it's hard to add that into the new league. Anyone with suggestions feel free to chime in if you'd like the enforcer back.

Raptactics29

Mar 28, 2007
London, Ontario
My idea is to have a 30 team, H2H league and use CBS to track it. CBS is easily the best site for fantasy hockey around. We should use 16 categories and I like the one guys idea of 30 round player draft and 10 round already drafted prospect draft. I was in a league called BBKL for 3 years. I left after my father passed and the league started taking a backseat. I didn't go back for a bunch of reasons but let me tell you, that league was so indepth, competitive, and amazing. A lot of the categories added almost a real life dimension to it. Especially someone of the categories and how they add those things that don't show up on the scoresheet. These categories give ALL players some value. I listed below the 16 categories we should use:

1) Short-Handed Time on Ice (SHTOI) - This category gave value to those depth Dmen who killed penalties.. and the bottom six forwards who did as well. It also gave top end guys that extra value over top end guys who do not kill penalties. So a guy like Jonathan Toews would be a lot more valuable then just some 6.3 million dollar 60 point player. See what I mean. Everyone in BBKL absolutely LOVED this category and really felt like it set BBKL apart from any other fantasy league.

2) Goals (G) - Self explanatory

3) Assists (A) - Again, self explanatory

4) PIMs - Gave tough guys some value. And gave guys like Burrows, Clowe, etc.. that little extra bit of value and made guys like that more desirable.

5) Special Team Points STPTS - This combined short handed and powerplay points. We enjoyed this category.

6) Game Winning Goals (GWG) - Self Explanatory. Clutch players are valuable anyway so this was a good category and usually favoured the great teams.

7) Blocked Shots (BS) - Defensive Dmen gained value.

8) Face-off Wins (FOWs) - Centers should be more valuable than wingers. But when you owned a player with winger eligibility and he wins faceoffs.. bonus. This category would make those guys super super valuable.

9) Hits - Again, really helped give depth Dmen and grinders that value and made them solid players instead of just junk on your roster. All this stats really make it feel like real life value and the intangibles that teams and fans appreciate but don't show up on the score sheet. You know what I mean?

10) Shots on Goal (SOG) - Self explanatory. Very underrated stat and would benefit true goal scorers. Also, guys like Radim Vrbata who is a solid player but before last season was considered a decent player. With SOG as a category, Vrbata becomes more valuable because believe it or not, he's always top 20 in the NHL in SOG.

11) Points (PTS) - self explanatory

12) Plus/Minus (+/-) - I know this is an iffy category but this benefits players on better teams. And IMO, rightfully so.

........... so those are the player categories. There was 4 goalie categories even though they score in PIMs, assists, etc when they scored there. Goalies also score in SHTOI in a big way. They're a penalty killer just like everyone else. The 4 goalie cats are:

1) Goals Against Average (GAA) - Self exlanatory

2) Wins (W) - Self Explanatory

3) Save Percentage (SV%) - 1st year we had SV% and saves but decided to drop saves because they're basically both the same thing and the goalie facing more shots that week or played and extra game had another advantage (more win/shutout tries). Save % is a better category we all agreed.

4) Shutouts (SO) - Self Explanatory

There were guys in BBKL who were in long standing money leagues who paid more attention and had more fun in BBKL because of the "indepthness" of it. If you want to maintain activity and commitment, IMHO, seriously consider a league with more than just points. If you can't tell, I was a co-commish of BBKL LOL. This format is a lot of fun. We also had a 7 round draft every year with full minor league systems. We could only have 50 contracts which we allowed to go up by 7 each year until we got to 90. We had a salary cap and used the NHLs cap, just like you are suggesting in the OP. We also had a waiver draft every year where we would be able to draft those Euro and NCAA free agents or guys coming out of retirement, etc. After January 1st, we would hold everyone out for that draft. I had an idea that wasn't super popular for the waiver draft in which those who became free agents in real life would go in to the waiver draft. I felt as if that would give the waiver draft some real value. I think it's an amazing idea.

Anyway, I know this is probably a lot to digest.. but consider it. If you want to discuss this further, I'm all ears. Also, for the record, if you guys want to go this route, I'd be more than happy to help run the league. I will even personally pay the CBS fee for the 2013-2014 season. I would start my own league but I'm not very computer savvy and I feel as though having forums dedicated to the fantasy league is vital. I would need help with that side of things. I can do everything else. I bring all this up because I have heard about Joey Moss's league.. his 4 year league. He has the experience.. the reputation, and Joey Moss has guys who are gonna follow him over here.

I know I went on and on but I'm passionate about fantasy hockey. I think you guys would absolutely LOVE this format if you gave it a try. Seriously, let me know what you guys think and lets talk about it. If interested, add me to windows live messenger (PM me for email addy):

Cheers,
Scott

The Press Express

Sep 16, 2012
@PressDontStress
My idea is to have a 30 team, H2H league and use CBS to track it. CBS is easily the best site for fantasy hockey around. We should use 16 categories and I like the one guys idea of 30 round player draft and 10 round already drafted prospect draft. I was in a league called BBKL for 3 years. I left after my father passed and the league started taking a backseat. I didn't go back for a bunch of reasons but let me tell you, that league was so indepth, competitive, and amazing. A lot of the categories added almost a real life dimension to it. Especially someone of the categories and how they add those things that don't show up on the scoresheet. These categories give ALL players some value. I listed below the 16 categories we should use:

1) Short-Handed Time on Ice (SHTOI) - This category gave value to those depth Dmen who killed penalties.. and the bottom six forwards who did as well. It also gave top end guys that extra value over top end guys who do not kill penalties. So a guy like Jonathan Toews would be a lot more valuable then just some 6.3 million dollar 60 point player. See what I mean. Everyone in BBKL absolutely LOVED this category and really felt like it set BBKL apart from any other fantasy league.

4) PIMs - Gave tough guys some value. And gave guys like Burrows, Clowe, etc.. that little extra bit of value and made guys like that more desirable.

5) Special Team Points STPTS - This combined short handed and powerplay points. We enjoyed this category.

6) Game Winning Goals (GWG) - Self Explanatory. Clutch players are valuable anyway so this was a good category and usually favoured the great teams.

8) Face-off Wins (FOWs) - Centers should be more valuable than wingers. But when you owned a player with winger eligibility and he wins faceoffs.. bonus. This category would make those guys super super valuable.

9) Hits - Again, really helped give depth Dmen and grinders that value and made them solid players instead of just junk on your roster. All this stats really make it feel like real life value and the intangibles that teams and fans appreciate but don't show up on the score sheet. You know what I mean?

10) Shots on Goal (SOG) - Self explanatory. Very underrated stat and would benefit true goal scorers. Also, guys like Radim Vrbata who is a solid player but before last season was considered a decent player. With SOG as a category, Vrbata becomes more valuable because believe it or not, he's always top 20 in the NHL in SOG.

12) Plus/Minus (+/-) - I know this is an iffy category but this benefits players on better teams. And IMO, rightfully so.

........... so those are the player categories. There was 4 goalie categories even though they score in PIMs, assists, etc when they scored there. Goalies also score in SHTOI in a big way. They're a penalty killer just like everyone else. The 4 goalie cats are:

3) Save Percentage (SV%) - 1st year we had SV% and saves but decided to drop saves because they're basically both the same thing and the goalie facing more shots that week or played and extra game had another advantage (more win/shutout tries). Save % is a better category we all agreed.

There were guys in BBKL who were in long standing money leagues who paid more attention and had more fun in BBKL because of the "indepthness" of it. If you want to maintain activity and commitment, IMHO, seriously consider a league with more than just points. If you can't tell, I was a co-commish of BBKL LOL. This format is a lot of fun. We also had a 7 round draft every year with full minor league systems. We could only have 50 contracts which we allowed to go up by 7 each year until we got to 90. We had a salary cap and used the NHLs cap, just like you are suggesting in the OP. We also had a waiver draft every year where we would be able to draft those Euro and NCAA free agents or guys coming out of retirement, etc. After January 1st, we would hold everyone out for that draft. I had an idea that wasn't super popular for the waiver draft in which those who became free agents in real life would go in to the waiver draft. I felt as if that would give the waiver draft some real value. I think it's an amazing idea.

Anyway, I know this is probably a lot to digest.. but consider it. If you want to discuss this further, I'm all ears. Also, for the record, if you guys want to go this route, I'd be more than happy to help run the league. I will even personally pay the CBS fee for the 2013-2014 season. I would start my own league but I'm not very computer savvy and I feel as though having forums dedicated to the fantasy league is vital. I would need help with that side of things. I can do everything else. I bring all this up because I have heard about Joey Moss's league.. his 4 year league. He has the experience.. the reputation, and Joey Moss has guys who are gonna follow him over here.

I know I went on and on but I'm passionate about fantasy hockey. I think you guys would absolutely LOVE this format if you gave it a try. Seriously, let me know what you guys think and lets talk about it. If interested, add me to windows live messenger (PM me for email addy):

Cheers,
Scott

Agree 100% great ideas scott!

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005

Cheers,
Scott

I love it.

TheNudge

Aug 11, 2008

Cheers,
Scott

I was also a gm from BBKL and I love that set up. It simply bring for aspect out of the game and make it that much funner. It's your you realize how hard is running a team and how much fun it can be. Also to be successful in such a a league format, gm's will need to pay attention to al the detail to be able to win week to week.

About the the Free agency, I'm not too excited for that aspect or twist. For the simple fact that the players with 1 year left on their contract become less valuable since they become a rental instead of a keeper. Like for exemple if I get Backstrom on is final year of the contract. At the end of the year he become available to the all. If you want to go to that route I would give a percentage off for the owner that own those player's. Like if he own that player he'll be able to match any offer but a 20 % off the contract and if he doesn't match then he get compensate by picks.

All in all it's a sweet format and I would stand buy it. Hopefully the commish and other gm's take this into consideration.

By the way guy's the Commish and Co-Commish from BBKL were jerk. At least in this league we have a great commish.

Chandrashekhar Limit

Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
I've been thinking about that. It's just hard because what do we call an enforcer? A guy that racks up PIM's is not an enforcer to me. George Parros and Darcy Hordichuk are enforcers. David Clarkson was considered an enforcer in the last league, but he's also a 30 goal scorer. So it's hard to add that into the new league. Anyone with suggestions feel free to chime in if you'd like the enforcer back.

Anyone who has had 10 or more figthing majors the season prior to is an enforcer.

TheNudge

Aug 11, 2008
By the way when i said that the commish and co-commish were jerk. At that time Scott was not a Co-commish. He was just a gm, didn't have the time to be the co-commish.

Scott is a great gm and I'm very excited to be in another league with him.

Raptactics29

Mar 28, 2007
London, Ontario
Also, if Joey Moss is good with my recommendation then everyone should know before coming in the league he CBS does cost money. Now, you won't be expected to pay up. Every league I was ever in left it optional because we want the best GMs possible.. not just guys who can afford to chip in.. but if you can contribute it would be greatly appreciated. Like I said in my post above, I am willing to pay for the 2013-2014 season but if people can help out I'd rather go that route. CBS is worth it and that's why I'm willing to pay for the entire league. Going with a free site you just won't get the categories that we would want. I think a forum site like this --> http://www.bbkl.ca/ or like this --> http://fantasynhlgm.conforums.com/index.cgi and CBS are an absolute must.

Speaking of which, is there anyone here who has experience setting up a site like this --> http://www.bbkl.ca/ - I have experience admining that exact site but I am not computer savvy and I wouldn't know where to begin. I had to learn on the fly when I was co-commish of that league, but it's a breeze now.. once it's set up lol.

Again, all of this is going to ultimately be up to Joey Moss. This is his baby. If anybody has any suggestions/ideas.. please speak up but lets remember, Joey Moss has the final say.

Cheers,
Scott

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Also, if Joey Moss is good with my recommendation then everyone should know before coming in the league he CBS does cost money. Now, you won't be expected to pay up. Every league I was ever in left it optional because we want the best GMs possible.. not just guys who can afford to chip in.. but if you can contribute it would be greatly appreciated. Like I said in my post above, I am willing to pay for the 2013-2014 season but if people can help out I'd rather go that route. CBS is worth it and that's why I'm willing to pay for the entire league. Going with a free site you just won't get the categories that we would want. I think a forum site like this --> http://www.bbkl.ca/ or like this --> http://fantasynhlgm.conforums.com/index.cgi and CBS are an absolute must.

Speaking of which, is there anyone here who has experience setting up a site like this --> http://www.bbkl.ca/ - I have experience admining that exact site but I am not computer savvy and I wouldn't know where to begin. I had to learn on the fly when I was co-commish of that league, but it's a breeze now.. once it's set up lol.

Again, all of this is going to ultimately be up to Joey Moss. This is his baby. If anybody has any suggestions/ideas.. please speak up but lets remember, Joey Moss has the final say.

Cheers,
Scott
I love all of your ideas except for the free agency waivers thing.

And like I said via pm to Joey Moss. I have one person who is definitely in. And I may have two more. But please reserve a spot for my one friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad