Confirmed with Link: JJ Daigneault & Dan Lacroix let go; Habs Sign Dominique Ducharme - 3 years to be new assistant coach

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Only read first 2 pages but how is the language thing played here today? Sounds like everyone is happy. Did they hire the best assistant-coach who could talk to RDS?

Language didn't play a role. Ducharme just happens to be bilingual but at the same time, the most important aspect is how he's universally appreciated and valued for being competent. I don't remember Lefebvre receiving any accolades when he was hired, lol.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Only read first 2 pages but how is the language thing played here today? Sounds like everyone is happy. Did they hire the best assistant-coach who could talk to RDS?

Like Runner said, and Julien also said it in his presser. It's Ducharme's talent as a coach that made them want him. The fact he's a local guy is a bonus. And as CJ said, when you have such highly skilled individuals right here in your backyard, you need to ensure that you bring them in.

They failed on Barre-Boulet, but they succeeded in Alain and Ducharme.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Like Runner said, and Julien also said it in his presser. It's Ducharme's talent as a coach that made them want him. The fact he's a local guy is a bonus. And as CJ said, when you have such highly skilled individuals right here in your backyard, you need to ensure that you bring them in.

They failed on Barre-Boulet, but they succeeded in Alain and Ducharme.
You mean like Drouin? I agree 100% with bolded.
As far as failing on Barre-Boulet, i would not go there. Cant sign em all obviously.
Sure hope that if team collapses next year, language "whiners" will stay quiet and wont blame some language policy in personel hiring to justify bad play.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
As far as failing on Barre-Boulet, i would not go there. Cant sign em all obviously.
Sure hope that if team collapses next year, language "whiners" will stay quiet and wont blame some language policy in personel hiring to justify bad play.

Completely agreed.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010

But the other part of the language whiner will blame it on language though.

Reactions: QuebecPride

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
In the end, the on ice personnel is what needs to go through a revamp. However, in terms of hockey ops, I think they made the right moves so far (Sly, JJ, Dan out and Ducharme in and Waite extended). Also the signing of Alain. So far so good.

The thing that made me fist pump when I read the news earlier was because the worry that Habs could sleep on Ducharme was real. They didn't get in touch with him when other NHL teams did. He interviewed with the Caps and apparenly the Blues were interested. There was a sense of doubt. When it was confirmed that the Habs actually signed him in the end, the elation was doubled.

I am very happy with this hiring.

How many good moments have we had this past season? This was a highly needed balm. Of course, it does more than soothe, it's the beginning of a cure.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
AC has been all over Ducharme in the last 2 weeks -- several chair fillers urged the Habs not to miss out on him. And here we are.

Recording it. Now I'm watching Preds/Jets 1st period.

Edit: Okay, Cherry is up next. Time to switch to AC.

Edit 2: I'm an idiot. I saw my TV receiver recording and immediately thought it was AC, when in fact it was my wife's dumb shows.

Reactions: Runner77

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Ducharme should be the head coach in 2-3 years

That has to be the plan. CJ has 4 years left, Ducharme signed on for 3 years. The timing of it all fits. And the fact that they will have 4 coaches behind the bench gives me more reason to believe that they want Ducharme at ice level learning on the job.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Language didn't play a role. Ducharme just happens to be bilingual but at the same time, the most important aspect is how he's universally appreciated and valued for being competent. I don't remember Lefebvre receiving any accolades when he was hired, lol.

Anyone who follows the Junior Championships would know that Ducharme is a stud coach. Two years running he had decent but not great talent on Team Canada and they came away with a silver and a gold and what's more important his teams played fast, uptempo hockey. My instincts tell me Bouchard was a big part of that and I want him in the organization in some capacity. White snake mentioned Mike Kitchen as d coach. That's a great candidate.

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
This is a good step in the right direction......
however Marc has fooled me once before. Two steps forward, three steps back......

Fool me once Marc shame on you, Fool me twice.... F*** YOU MARC!!!:laugh:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Got a feeling that Molson was the main reason for this hiring.

It's possible. But I don't know why people would think MB wouldn't be interested. I know he didn't call him as quickly as other teams. But I don't think it's because he genuinely didn't want him.

However, if Molson is behind this and put pressure on MB to get him, then I guess Geoff has finally put on his big boy pants and has started acting like the big boss.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Got a feeling that Molson was the main reason for this hiring.

The Hidden Hand of Ownership intervened, no question about it.

Bergevin didn't just change his ways -- it shouldn't have taken 7 off-seasons to hire someone with Ducharme's profile or to do away with JJD and Lefebvre.

Someone from ownership put his big boy pants on. Whoever it was, thank-you for doing the right thing. And thank yourself for adding someone credible to an organization starved for this kind of talent.

Now do the same with your ice-level talent and we're in business.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It's possible. But I don't know why people would think MB wouldn't be interested. I know he didn't call him as quickly as other teams. But I don't think it's because he genuinely didn't want him.

However, if Molson is behind this and put pressure on MB to get him, then I guess Geoff has finally put on his big boy pants and has started acting like the big boss.

Ha, I used the same expression right after you did and without having had the benefit of having read your post, lol.

I think that expression encapsulates the situation -- there is a "the buck stops here" feel to this -- at least, that's how it comes across to me.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
This is a good step in the right direction......
however Marc has fooled me once before. Two steps forward, three steps back......

Fool me once Marc shame on you, Fool me twice.... F*** YOU MARC!!!:laugh:
Only once? He had me fooled for 5 years straight. I'm tempering my enthusiasm to see the other changes and what he does with the roster this off season.

Reactions: Runner77

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

You guys really think Molson had a hand in this? I don't. He had to call in Savard to help with NHL GM candidates and you think he knows what's going on in the Q.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad