Confirmed with Link: Jiri Sekac traded for Devante Smith-Pelly Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
Holy cow.

So now it's body checking to get on the top line.

No wait, it's last year's playoff performance. That's why Eller got so much PP time this year, because of his great playoff run.

It just keeps changing.

People need to just admit there is a double standard.

No double standard, just that for the reasons mentioned Weise was a logical choice.

And it worked.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I was really sad to hear it was Sekac that was traded. He is going to be a good one but I don't think he will be a first liner, regretting we traded him forever like Leclair type player.

The Habs have many players like Sekac, they needed some more guys like DSP, you have to give to get. Everything MB, and MT for that matter, are doing is prepping for a long playoff run. I think we will be forgetting about Jiri in the spring.

Comparing Sekac to Leclair...really? like really?

I don't think they could be any more different players. The only thing they have in common is LW and were traded by the Habs.

I'm still scratching my head about this trade and I can't really understand why we made it as this point without Sekac getting a legit shot.

http://thehockeywriters.com/highway-robbery-ducks-acquire-jiri-sekac-from-canadiens/

Sekac played 50 games in Montreal, not sure how that's not a "legit shot"?

I'm pretty sure the front office knows what they have.

Did Weise prove he had the offensive talents by putting up a bunch of points on the 4th line before being placed on the first line by MT?

No. He didn't.

This is exactly what I'm talking about.

Weise got occasional looks in the top 6 and took advantage and eventually got an extended look.

Sekac got a chance with 51-67 and looked lost, he played about 1/4 of his time with the Habs with Plekanec.

People make it sound like he's been in the press box or with Malhotra all year. He's been top 9 in all but 2-3 of his games.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Well the problem was his first year. He looked good there. So from then on, you think that the player would improve...and he didn't. So they had 145 games...but actually a little less based on the fact that he had some good stats in his first 55. Maybe they could have dealt him in mid-season the year after when they saw he was going nowhere....but when a team get a player they really like a lot....they can't hate him right after. You have to believe in a guy you got. But which is it....you trade a guy as soon as you can to get the best return? Or you don't as you might be screwed for getting rid of a guy so soon? How does it apply to us? Should we trade Reway right away? Can we already figure out that this guy would NEVER be a NHL player, even less if Therrien is still coaching. Can we surf on the fact that he had a great WJC? We pretty much know that we won't have in our lineup guys like Lehkonen, Reway, Hudon, Thomas, Ghetto, Bozon, Audette, Macmillan and NHL'ers like Gallagher and DD at the same time on a NHL lineup. That's what too small or frail. Should we do somethinig about it now before some teams realize that some players will actually never make it?

The point I was trying to make is that Jiri Sekac could easily be the next Fabian Brunnstrom. In fact, there's a lot of things in his game that point to that.

As for your question, well if Bergevin finds a prospect somewhere else that's a better fit than the players you mentioned, then why not?

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Sekac got a chance with 51-67 and looked lost, he played about 1/4 of his time with the Habs with Plekanec.

With Prust/Eller/Weise, and starting in the defensive zone... but whatever, right? Don't need to watch or worry about the details when you'll "scout" whichever numbers you like better anyway. The Prust-Eller-Sekac combination was together as long as all his other line combos combined, btw, still followed by Eller+Bourque at #2, and then Eller+Thomas at #3.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement

I don't think they could be any more different players. The only thing they have in common is LW and were traded by the Habs.

Sekac played 50 games in Montreal, not sure how that's not a "legit shot"?

I'm pretty sure the front office knows what they have.

Weise got occasional looks in the top 6 and took advantage and eventually got an extended look.

People make it sound like he's been in the press box or with Malhotra all year. He's been top 9 in all but 2-3 of his games.

It isn't considered a fair chance when he wasn't up to 2 mins of PP time per game and not playing above 16 minutes total.

Y'know, the usage of a top liner. Although arguably Sekac is not even close to be good enough to be considered a 'top liner'. Especially out of his natural position.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
With Prust/Eller/Weise, and starting in the defensive zone... but whatever, right? Don't need to watch or worry about the details when you'll "scout" whichever numbers you like better anyway. The Prust-Eller-Sekac combination was together as long as all his other line combos combined, btw, still followed by Eller+Bourque at #2, and then Eller+Thomas at #3.

Whats wrong with Thomas ? He's amongst our best Corsi forward, and that's the Holy Grail on this site. Corsi-wise Eller + Thomas + Sekac were absolutely dominant.

I heard good Corsi wins cups.

76KaNega67

Feb 24, 2015
Here's one potential reason why I feel Sekac was traded; I think he was traded because when management got him from Europe, they taught they were getting a player that was going to have an immediate impact on the team. That's why they had him penciled on the second line if I'm not mistaken. When they realized that he was going to need a longer learning curve, they decided that they would rather spend that time developing a young powerfoward with potential in the MT mold of players. Although I think that if Sekac would've been willing to spend some time in the ahl, they would've kept him. I think that's why MT used him the way he did. He was trying to send a message to MB like this kid can't play this level yet... Maybe he was wrong though, only time will tell. We'll see what he does in Anaheim.

Last edited:

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal

Again, this is simply not true at all. it has been shown to you many times and you continue to overlook it. Stop repeating a falsehood.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
le_sean, have you already determined that neither of those guys will ever be nothing more than 3rd liners? If so, I will applaud you in due time....but I don't know how you can make that evaluation.

Currently they are both 3rd liners. BOTH have potential to be more. But people act like the team traded Sekac for a 6th round pick.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
It isn't considered a fair chance when he wasn't up to 2 mins of PP time per game and not playing above 16 minutes total.

Y'know, the usage of a top liner. Although arguably Sekac is not even close to be good enough to be considered a 'top liner'. Especially out of his natural position.

I don't know too many rookies that break in playing 1st line minutes.

98% of rookies start out playing under 16 minutes a game.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Again, this is simply not true at all. it has been shown to you many times and you continue to overlook it. Stop repeating a falsehood.

It is true, go look at the link with his most common line combos. Facts are facts.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
It is true, go look at the link with his most common line combos. Facts are facts.

http://www.cs.unb.ca/~mwf/habs//forw_26JS.html

a) 17.5% on a line with Plekanec, which amounted to 9 whole games.
c) 1/4 = 25%
d) 17.5% =/= 25%
e) Of that 17.5%, 13.2% of the team, the other winger was Prust, Weise and Andrighetto.

In fact, he only once spent more than 2 consecutive games on a line with Plekanec, and that one time, he only spent four games there.

Last edited:

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

we keep hearing from the "experts" how Eller could play top 6 if he got Desharnais' minutes and now how Sekac would be so much better with better players...something doesn't compute...

Eller only had a few more defensive zone starts than Plekanec or desharnais so that theory is BS.

11Goat11

Inside her
Feb 18, 2006

I said we wouldn't miss him like Leclair, not that he was anything like Leclair...

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Also, as for Sekac not producing in the top 6, the three games he spent with Andrighetto and Plekanec, he put up 4 points in three games (2g, 2a).

He was promptly removed from the line afterwards.

Over a span of 8 games, Sekac spent 7 on a line with Plekanec and one of Andrighetto, Prust and Weise, and 6 points in 8 games.

Yah, but continue to feed the narrative that he didn't do anything.

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
Also, as for Sekac not producing in the top 6, the three games he spent with Andrighetto and Plekanec, he put up 4 points in three games (2g, 2a).

He was promptly removed from the line afterwards.

Not because of lack of offense though. He said in his interview they were asking him to work on his defensive game.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Not because of lack of offense though. He said in his interview they were asking him to work on his defensive game.

That's a different point that the one my post refers to. Posters are repeatedly claiming that he got a shot in the top 6 and did nothing with it. It simply isn't true. The time he got in the top 6 was incredibly fleeting, and when he was there, he produced despite playing most often with Plekanec and one of Prust, Weise and Andrighetto.

Your point now speaks to an entirely different issue.

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006

This is simply a case of hating on a guy who was just moved and over hyping a guy we just acquired.

Personally I liked Sekac and thought he deserved more of an opportunity.

I actually like DSP as well.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
This is simply a case of hating on a guy who was just moved and over hyping a guy we just acquired.

Personally I liked Sekac and thought he deserved more of an opportunity.

I actually like DSP as well.

I agree entirely with this post.

I like Sekac's potential

I like DSP's potential

I don't think Sekac got much of a chance.

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
That's a different point that the one my post refers to. Posters are repeatedly claiming that he got a shot in the top 6 and did nothing with it. It simply isn't true. The time he got in the top 6 was incredibly fleeting, and when he was there, he produced despite playing most often with Plekanec and one of Prust, Weise and Andrighetto.

Right. But I'm suggesting that it's probably why he didn't stick to the top line. Not so much because of lack of production. And even then he was really streaky offensively. He did pull the disappearing act for prolonged periods.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
http://www.cs.unb.ca/~mwf/habs//forw_26JS.html

a) 17.5% on a line with Plekanec, which amounted to 9 whole games.
c) 1/4 = 25%
d) 17.5% =/= 25%
e) Of that 17.5%, 13.2% of the team, the other winger was Prust, Weise and Andrighetto.

In fact, he only once spent more than 2 consecutive games on a line with Plekanec, and that one time, he only spent four games there.

Out of the top 10 combos...

Eller 35.4+6.7+5+3.1=50.2%(70.6%)
Plekanec 4.2+3.9+3.5+3.2+2.7=17.5%(24.6%)
Desharnais 3.4=3.4%(4.8%)

Known=71.1%

Based on what we know, Sekac played almost 30% of his minutes on the top 2 lines. That's not "never getting a chance".

I wonder what percentage shows up for Weise?

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Therrien hates his rookies:

Gallagher a 5th rounder, 5ft and small change earns his way onto the team at 20 years of age.

Galchenyuk earns his way at 18 years old but I guess Therrien was blinded by his 3rd draft pick status.

DLR at 19 after a few months of conditioning in the A earns a spot on the team.

Bournival at 21 earns a spot on the team

Thomas, Therrien doesn't seem to mind playing him.

Beaulieu at 22 is being used as a top 3 d-man.

Tinordi & Pateryn are both played ahead of Weaver.

But with Sekac Therrien put his foot down and refused to give him his chance. He obviously saw something he didn't like in Sekac's game. The only thing I didn't like was the public comments about lack of abilities. even if it was true, you don't make those comments.

Aside from that it looks to me like Therrien is quite opened to using young kids.

Last edited:

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

Gallagher got his first chance on a line with an 18 year old rookie and Prust. He wasn't given top 6 duties. He earned them.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Out of the top 10 combos...

Eller 35.4+6.7+5+3.1=50.2%(70.6%)
Plekanec 4.2+3.9+3.5+3.2+2.7=17.5%(24.6%)
Desharnais 3.4=3.4%(4.8%)

Known=71.1%

Based on what we know, Sekac played almost 30% of his minutes on the top 2 lines. That's not "never getting a chance".

I wonder what percentage shows up for Weise?

And given his points during those opportunities, that's not "never producing", either.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Currently they are both 3rd liners. BOTH have potential to be more. But people act like the team traded Sekac for a 6th round pick.

I know that it's all about potential right now. I think that people, me included, are mostly talking about our analysis about the possible discrepancy of pure talent and upside. No, it,s not Gretzky vs Éric Landry. But I do not agree to give up a top 6 for a bottom 6 even if there's a need for it. I will always believe that there will always be greater needs of scoring than grinding. And while Sekac was not scoring, I think he wasn't put in a situation to do so. But if Sekac is lights out offensively, the only reason people would be albe to say the infamous "He wouldn't have done it here" would only be because the coach wouldn't let him. Nothing else. If DSP becomes that top 6 player that needs a different type of players around him than what he had with Anaheim....then Bergevin will go in the books as a Genius. I really hope that what happens. This team do need a better mix. But I still believe we still need more pure talent and scoring, a system and a coach who also believes in that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad