Jiri Sekac potential

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I have a very strong feeling that he starts on the Habs this year and sees no AHL time. I remember Bob McKenzie reporting that approx fifteen teams wanted to sign him. I am pretty sure that he would have took an offer that had him playing in the NHL. If he was that highly touted with that much interest I am sure that other teams would have offered that as well.

I look at him as a free prospect/player. If he contributes then great. It is just an added bonus. If he flops the Habs have nothing invested in him. No draft pick I mean.

I do not like how a lot of people are placing him on Plekanec's line. Plekanec is the Habs best two way forward and plays against other teams top lines. I know that both players are Czech and May have that connection but I am not sure that Sekac can handle that duty already.

I agree if there were 15 teams that made a offer than most of them garanted that he would play in the NHL... Mtl actually have a opening in the top 9 and no one really pushing to grab it, so it not a big deal.

Zero risk worst case he sit in the presse box, end up being traded for a 4rd pick or dark horse prospect, best case actually make a impact on the top 6, most likely he will be able ok in the top 9 flash of greatness and time were he is invisible.

I think he will play with Eller

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Naturally I'm pleased the Habs have signed him but I don't take it for granted that he'll become a regular in his first NHL season or that he's the equivalent of a top three pick (a la Galchenyuk). However, he might be equal to or better than the Habs' 2013 or 2014 first round picks (McCarron or Marschak). That remains to be seen.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Sekac generated a fair amount of interest and I feel one of the reasons we won out was the fact that we have the captain of his national team. I think that his contract came with the promise of an audition on the Plekanec line. Obviously not a guarantee of top 6 minutes or even beyond preseason or anything but I have a feeling the top 9 will look something like:

Patch - DD - PAP
Sekac - Plekanec - Gally
Galchenyuk - Eller - Bourque

Which I wouldn't mind.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
Naturally I'm pleased the Habs have signed him but I don't take it for granted that he'll become a regular in his first NHL season or that he's the equivalent of a top three pick (a la Galchenyuk). However, he might be equal to or better than the Habs' 2013 or 2014 first round picks (McCarron or Marschak). That remains to be seen.

Who the hell is Marschak... Did you just made this name up?

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Sekac generated a fair amount of interest and I feel one of the reasons we won out was the fact that we have the captain of his national team. I think that his contract came with the promise of an audition on the Plekanec line. Obviously not a guarantee of top 6 minutes or even beyond preseason or anything but I have a feeling the top 9 will look something like:

Patch - DD - PAP
Sekac - Plekanec - Gally
Galchenyuk - Eller - Bourque

Which I wouldn't mind.

Based on all things said so far Plekanec had no history with Sekac. They had met briefly in a celebrity ball hockey tournament but have not played together and don't know each other very well. I doubt that promises have been made.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Most of the undrafted or late bloomer types are that way for a reason. Pro scouting gets it right more often than not and granted there are missed players that go on to have great careers but they are the exception and not the rule. If we get some production from him it will be a bonus and if we don't, no harm no foul.

His biggest chore will be getting used to the level of competition that is coming from NHL players, something he is not used to. The rink size will be a tough adjustment as well.

Some are putting in the race for the Calder and Plekanec's winger, come on people, do you really think he is walking in here and going straight to the pp and getting top line minutes?

If he makes the team, he will see a role much like that of Bournival last year, 4th and occasional 3rd minutes and not much else.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Most of the undrafted or late bloomer types are that way for a reason. Pro scouting gets it right more often than not and granted there are missed players that go on to have great careers but they are the exception and not the rule. If we get some production from him it will be a bonus and if we don't, no harm no foul.

His biggest chore will be getting used to the level of competition that is coming from NHL players, something he is not used to. The rink size will be a tough adjustment as well.

Some are putting in the race for the Calder and Plekanec's winger, come on people, do you really think he is walking in here and going straight to the pp and getting top line minutes?

If he makes the team, he will see a role much like that of Bournival last year, 4th and occasional 3rd minutes and not much else.

Makes sense when discussing the average non-drafted player, but I don't remember someone being courted by a dozen teams like Sekac was. A whole bunch of pro-scouts apparently revised their opinion of him based on upgraded potential. The guy's become this huge Man Of Mystery.

habitue*

If the guy can play on the third line this season and do well (30-35 points), I will be more than happy.

Intangiblezz

Oct 21, 2012
I see him this season as a 3rd liner with 30-40 point potential. In the future, maybe he can be a 2nd liner that puts up 50~ points.

Max Pacioretty - David Desharnais - Alex Galchenyuk
Rene Bourque - Tomas Plekanec - PA Parenteau
Jiri Sekac - Lars Eller - Brendan Gallagher

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Makes sense when discussing the average non-drafted player, but I don't remember someone being courted by a dozen teams like Sekac was. A whole bunch of pro-scouts apparently revised their opinion of him based on upgraded potential. The guy's become this huge Man Of Mystery.

I obviously would love for him to become a good player for us because of the fact that it cost us nothing. I do also believe that the fact that he was courted by a dozen teams has to do with his possible potential and signing a 22 year old to an entry level deal.

I can't wait for camp and pre season games to start so we can get a look at him. I hope he is a pleasant suprise for us.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Trying to compare Sekac to another player without having watched him playing in complete games, just highlights, not even the prospects camp this summer is difficult. Our prospects are mostly drafted players under 21 yrs. old, most haven't played against men other than JDLR(C/LW) 19 yrs., Lehkonen(LW/RW) 19 yrs. in the SHL, or Hamilton Bulldogs AHLers like Andrighetto, Holland, Dumont, Thomas, etc. all roughly the same age 22 yrs. old.

Apparently from all reports about Sekac from the prospect camp, he impressed everyone no forwards compared even closely to his abilities. Hearing that suggests Jiri will certainly have the best chance of earning a role with the Habs from new players other than PAP. The fact he plays both C/LW, is a fast skater, agile, checks well, protects the puck good, has a very good shot, has size 6'2" -195 lbs not the 182 lbs. listed, plays a non stop type of game, bodes well for Habs and him making the team.

Fans need to realize that his competition will be NHL veterans, even Michael Bournival has a year exp. with the Habs and has played in NA rinks his entire career also. Keeping these things in mind, actually might help from having to great expectations for you as a fan and on him as a rookie in NA rinks and the NHL. The players he's trying to take a job from would all receive offers from many NHL teams, if Montreal was trading them. Prust, Moen, Bourque, Bournival are all competent NHLers, so don't be surprised if Sekac doesn't break into the lineup, more than likely he will need to adjust to the NA rinks, and the speed of the game.

I believe that will be a quick study for Sekac, he will be playing with the Habs before Xmas or at latest Jan. playing the wing with Eller as his center. I think that he will be a very surprising new prospect, that will delay JDLR's promotion for another year, good for the Habs and the Bulldogs fans, he's like getting an extra 1st round pick for nothing!:handclap::handclap::handclap:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Trying to compare Sekac to another player without having watched him playing in complete games, just highlights, not even the prospects camp this summer is difficult. Our prospects are mostly drafted players under 21 yrs. old, most haven't played against men other than JDLR(C/LW) 19 yrs., Lehkonen(LW/RW) 19 yrs. in the SHL, or Hamilton Bulldogs AHLers like Andrighetto, Holland, Dumont, Thomas, etc. all roughly the same age 22 yrs. old.

Apparently from all reports about Sekac from the prospect camp, he impressed everyone no forwards compared even closely to his abilities. Hearing that suggests Jiri will certainly have the best chance of earning a role with the Habs from new players other than PAP. The fact he plays both C/LW, is a fast skater, agile, checks well, protects the puck good, has a very good shot, has size 6'2" -195 lbs not the 182 lbs. listed, plays a non stop type of game, bodes well for Habs and him making the team.

Fans need to realize that his competition will be NHL veterans, even Michael Bournival has a year exp. with the Habs and has played in NA rinks his entire career also. Keeping these things in mind, actually might help from having to great expectations for you as a fan and on him as a rookie in NA rinks and the NHL. The players he's trying to take a job from would all receive offers from many NHL teams, if Montreal was trading them. Prust, Moen, Bourque, Bournival are all competent NHLers, so don't be surprised if Sekac doesn't break into the lineup, more than likely he will need to adjust to the NA rinks, and the speed of the game.

I believe that will be a quick study for Sekac, he will be playing with the Habs before Xmas or at latest Jan. playing the wing with Eller as his center. I think that he will be a very surprising new prospect, that will delay JDLR's promotion for another year, good for the Habs and the Bulldogs fans, he's like getting an extra 1st round pick for nothing!:handclap::handclap::handclap:

There is no way you can be this happy and optimistic all the time in person.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Galchenyuk - Pleks - Gallagher
Pacioretty - DD - Parenteau
Penner/Sekac? - Eller - Bourque
Prust - Malhotra - Weise
Bournival
Moen

I love the fact that we won the Sekac sweepstakes, but as positive as I try to be...I won't be more excited about Sekac until I've seen him play in at least 4-5 games (or more!?). But still...really glad we got him VS many other teams. I just hope he can pitch in quickly...I think Pleks will take him under his wing (he'll maybe play with Pleks?). Or, he'll need a bit of time in the AHL...? (I hope not, but if that's what he needs...so be it).

Dustin Penner could be cheap good insurance for the 9th forward spot (playoff experience). Weise imo is the 9th forward...for playoffs. (Bourque - Eller - Weise...great playoff line).

PricePkPatch*

Galchenyuk - Pleks - Gallagher
Pacioretty - DD - Parenteau
Penner/Sekac? - Eller - Bourque
Prust - Malhotra - Weise
Bournival
Moen

I love the fact that we won the Sekac sweepstakes, but as positive as I try to be...I won't be more excited about Sekac until I've seen him play in at least 4-5 games (or more!?). But still...really glad we got him VS many other teams. I just hope he can pitch in quickly...I think Pleks will take him under his wing (he'll maybe play with Pleks?). Or, he'll need a bit of time in the AHL...? (I hope not, but if that's what he needs...so be it).

Dustin Penner could be cheap good insurance for the 9th forward spot (playoff experience). Weise imo is the 9th forward...for playoffs. (Bourque - Eller - Weise...great playoff line).

Penner is a used-up washed-up 6'4" player who would be useless on our lineup.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Penner is a used-up washed-up 6'4" player who would be useless on our lineup.

I respect your opinion, and/but...

I've noticed some Hab fans here that are pro-Penner and some against-Penner.

I'd maybe take a chance...for cheap depth/size (82 game season...injuries), and....mostly for his playoff experience (could still have gas for playoffs...$750 000, no? pretty cheap).

Or if not Penner (as forward #9 or 4th liner for us?)...can we at least get a good policeman?! (13th-14th-15th forward,etc, but #12 forward only when we play Boston, Toronto,etc). But this is for another thread...!

Last edited:

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
If the guy can play on the third line this season and do well (30-35 points), I will be more than happy.

I've started to lean on the side of caution with him. If he can't crack the top 6, I would send him down to Hamilton, just so he picks the pace on North American ice size.

Big Lurk

Aug 2, 2013
The guy played several games on North American ice already. Im sure itll a faster adaptation than most think.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
Based on what management are doing with the kids, my guess is he won't make it this year.

In fact, my guess is no kids will take the open top 9 forward spot. MT will give it to Bournival, and Dumont will have the last spot. Less risky, and kids will gain experience in the AHL. Then later on into the season, it may change.

Having Beaulieu starting on D and Dumont as a forward is enough kid and just enough experience to Bergevin's taste, me think, while still bringing young blood to the lineup like he did every year.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
Pretty sure Sekac shoot left but plays the RW so you he battling with PAP and Gally.
He said that he's more comfortable on LW although he can play RW too. He's like Emelin in the sense that he can play RD, but he's better at LD.

habitue*

The guy played several games on North American ice already. Im sure itll a faster adaptation than most think.

Right. He played like two-three years on North American ice rinks when he was still a teen. And he's very fluent in English. So, no big steep adaptation for him.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
After Lahti, Avstin and Engqvist, I don't want to eat crow again :laugh:

I'd love to see either Sekac-Plekanec-Gallagher or Galchenyuk - Plekanec- Sekac at training camp. This management group believes in youth and development.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
There is no way you can be this happy and optimistic all the time in person.

A trait that can be attributed to my parents and many, many, very helpful friends throughout my life and that I try to share as often as situations permit. Happiness and sharing it are free, as are smiling, laughing and optimism, everybody should reap all the time available in life enjoying that freedom,IMHO.:nod: P.S. Thanks for the compliment, my Mother always says if you haven't anything nice to say, why bother. Which I have always taken as; If you don't have anything positive to say, what are you accomplishing?

Last edited:

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
A trait that can be attributed to my parents and many, many, very helpful friends throughout my life and that I try to share as often as situations permit. Happiness and sharing it are free, as are smiling, laughing and optimism, everybody should reap all the time available in life enjoying that freedom,IMHO.:nod: P.S. Thanks for the compliment, my Mother always says if you haven't anything nice to say, why bother. Which I have always taken as; If you don't have anything positive to say, what are you accomplishing?

Always good to know there are still very positive people out there!! Cheers! :handclap:

p.s.: note to self...need more positive/happy friends!!;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad