Jiri Sekac Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Are you ok? Are you have trouble following?

Let's try this, one more time

Another poster made a comment in which he said the following statement

"Sekac never refused to grind"

I then posted a quote, from Jiri Sekac himself, i'll post it again, since it seems you're having trouble following

It was hard,†Czech Republic native said when asked about making the adjustment to a more defensive style. “I was playing as a defensive forward. I was out there playing on defensive faceoffs and it doesn’t seem like it, but that sucks a lot of energy out of you and you have nothing left for offence.

“It wasn’t all bad (but) I’m not a huge defensive player and I couldn’t play like I wanted to play. I never got a chance to prove what I can do. That’s probably the biggest reason it didn’t work out.â€

So I ask...how is that quote 'out of context'???

Keep posting it, over and over until you understand that an answer always come after a question. And yes, the question asked matter just as much as the answer given.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

I'M not mentioning context? That he's a rookie? I've acknowledged that? That he's coming from Europe and needs time to adjust? I've acknowledged that?

But doesn't meant I have to agree that he has some untapped offensive potential, I don't see it in his game and I don't see it in his numbers.

Does that mean he's a 'nothing player'? No of course not, as I've stated SEVERAL times (something that seems lost in everyone's attempt to twist my words to fit their own narratives) I think he can carve himself out a decent career as an energy/defensive player...but according to his own words, that's not a role that he's comfortable or willing to take.

Knowing this, it makes me really doubt about how long he is for the NHL.

I never said DSP is a bust. I said he was introduced to the NHL game 4 seasons ago where he played a lot of hockey. That's the time frame he's had to adapt to this game. Yes, he was young, and it's not over for him, but Sekac played his first season in the NHL. So ya, I'll be more patient with the guy who just went through his first season.
Beaulieu and Tinordi almost combined for less games played than DSP had just in his rookie year. Not a comparable curve.
Also, some will argue Beaulieu and Tinordi should have been used as regular NHLers as early as last season. I think midway through last year, Beaulieu should have been here. Tinordi is debatable.
Pacioretty had his breakout year in his 3rd season.

DSP played 49 games as a rookie, the following year, he played then played 7 games the following year, while spending most of that year in the AHL where he put up 14 goals and a respectable 32 points as an AHL rookie...

He then played 19 NHL games the following year. spending the majority of that year in the AHL where he had an excellent year with 27 goals in 55 games.

So prior to this season, while you say he had 3 NHL seasons under his belt...he in actuality hadn't even completed a full NHL season.

This year, was his first full year in the NHL...

I think you're only choosing DSP because you don't like the stance many posters had here about the trade. It's been your main reason for your posts in this thread.

As stated in the very post you quoted...i'm not enamoured with either of them. I said IF I HAD TO CHOOSE.

But once again, I don't have to choose. I'm not very high on either player.

Having potential doesn't mean you'll actually live up to it. He skates well, is good at board battles and protecting the puck, he has a good shot, can make a decent pass. There's no reason to suggest he doesn't have top 6 potential. A guy like JDR, he hasn't shown anything offensively, it would make sense to say he doesn't have that potential. But Sekac?? He's definitely shown enough things to say he's got some potential. Maybe well unlikely to be reached, but he still has it.

I'd agree with that, except for the shot part...that's another fabrication.

There's PLENTY of reason to suggest he doesn't have top 6 potential. If you think Jiri Sekac has top 6 potential, than I think JDLR also has top 6 potential.

What's Sekac shown to say he has more offensive potential than JDLR does? (and for the record, I don't actually think JDLR has top 6 potential, but since you think Sekac does...than I don't see why JDLR doesn't)

More effective? That is only relative to your expectations.

You're going to honestly tell me that Jiri Sekac had a better year than Dale Weise?

He doesn't need to be a top goal scorer. He put up 11g 28pts in 47gp in the KHL where scoring is much lower if I recall correctly. This year with us, he scored 7g 16pts in 50gp as a rookie coming from europe. I see no reason to say he couldn't put up 15ish goals over a full season under better circumstances.
It doesn't mean he would, but it's worth trying.

Then again, what the hell is he?

Because he doesn't think he should be used in any defensive role...YOU and others think that he shouldn't be used in a defensive role.

So if he can't score, won't play defense...then what the hell is he going to do???? what's his role?

I'm not being facetious here, i'm seriously asking the question?

You say he could put up 15is goals over a full season under better circumstances? Couldn't the same be said about DSP? Or even JDLR for that matter?

Yes, the point is to show that DSP made the NHL at a younger age, which means he's had more time to actually cling on to the league and adapt. He had a taste early on, he knew what to expect. Sekac got a taste this year. Going into the summer, he'll know what to expect next season. It's entirely up to him to decide how to prepare for that.

Guess we'll see how that all works out for him...

Because one plays like a grinder although not a very good one seeing how he's late on his checks, the other plays more like a skilled player, and we need more skills not less. Seems rather logical to me which one to keep.

Although, also, not a very good one (skilled player that is)

Of course you do. You think people here believe Sekac would turn into a 25-30g scorer. I would think the same thing as you, except that's not what people are saying at all. Just that as a rookie coming from Europe and being used as he was here, he showed enough to be deemed an interesting prospect, and trading him away when we lack skill for another grinder type of player just seems entirely pointless and stupid

Well a few people have said just that in this very thread...so....

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Keep posting it, over and over until you understand that an answer always come after a question. And yes, the question asked matter just as much as the answer given.

An answer always comes after a question?

Unless it's another question

Lol

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Yes we're lacking players that can score, but that's not the point.

We're also lacking guys who have speed that can actually carry a puck and control it, something Sekac can do that DSP can't. Who can carry a puck on this squad? Eller, Galchenyuk when he's at center, Subban before Therrien told him not too... Pretty much it. Who are these speedy forwards with skill that we have in such great quantity? Please don't say DLR and Weise.

Of course Sekac isn't the answer to all our woes, but imo he's way better for a third line in today's NHL than DSP.

Lol, where did Sekac say he REFUSED to play in a defensive role? Where?

No I don't think the Habs need players who can control the puck...Again, they need guys who can finish and put the puck in the net.

As for his quote and whether or not he REFUSED a defensive role (which btw, wasn't the original question asked but I'll amuse you)

Here's his quote once again (must be a problem with my phone that makes it impossible for you and another post, only I might add, to miss the verbatim quote).

It was hard,†Czech Republic native said when asked about making the adjustment to a more defensive style. “I was playing as a defensive forward. I was out there playing on defensive faceoffs and it doesn’t seem like it, but that sucks a lot of energy out of you and you have nothing left for offence.

“It wasn’t all bad (but) I’m not a huge defensive player and I couldn’t play like I wanted to play. I never got a chance to prove what I can do. That’s probably the biggest reason it didn’t work out.â€

Now I don't know why he would flat out come out and say "I refused to play a defensive role" (matter of fact, I don't know why or how ANYONE would mind you) but it's pretty clear, at least to me, that it wasn't a role he took on with much enthusiasm

Youu don't have to believe me...I assure you, those are HIS words

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
No I don't think the Habs need players who can control the puck...Again, they need guys who can finish and put the puck in the net.

As for his quote and whether or not he REFUSED a defensive role (which btw, wasn't the original question asked but I'll amuse you)

Here's his quote once again (must be a problem with my phone that makes it impossible for you and another post, only I might add, to miss the verbatim quote).

It was hard,” Czech Republic native said when asked about making the adjustment to a more defensive style. “I was playing as a defensive forward. I was out there playing on defensive faceoffs and it doesn’t seem like it, but that sucks a lot of energy out of you and you have nothing left for offence.

“It wasn’t all bad (but) I’m not a huge defensive player and I couldn’t play like I wanted to play. I never got a chance to prove what I can do. That’s probably the biggest reason it didn’t work out.”

Now I don't know why he would flat out come out and say "I refused to play a defensive role" (matter of fact, I don't know why or how ANYONE would mind you) but it's pretty clear, at least to me, that it wasn't a role he took on with much enthusiasm

Youu don't have to believe me...I assure you, those are HIS words

Dude, I'm the one that said "I've never seen Sekac refuse to grind". All your little quotes show is that he wasn't used to it and was more comfortable playing offensively. Just because he prefers to play certain way does that automatically mean he didn't try in the role he was asked to play? Feel free to interpret his words for more than they are but that's completely up to you.

Don't worry about posting the quote again, I'll do it for you.

It was hard,” Czech Republic native said when asked about making the adjustment to a more defensive style. “I was playing as a defensive forward. I was out there playing on defensive faceoffs and it doesn’t seem like it, but that sucks a lot of energy out of you and you have nothing left for offence.

“It wasn’t all bad (but) I’m not a huge defensive player and I couldn’t play like I wanted to play. I never got a chance to prove what I can do. That’s probably the biggest reason it didn’t work out.”

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Sekac isn't a grinder you're right, we had enough of those here already, yet we decided to acquire another one in DSP. I've never seen Sekac "refuse to grind", I saw a NA rookie not being played to his strengths, go figure it didn't work out.

Kovalchuck had only 55 points in 54 games in the KHL, do you seriously think he would produce at that pace in the AHL? Kovalchuck 25g in 55 gms(KHL), DSP 27 in 55(AHL), Similar leagues so DSP must be a better scorer, eh? :sarcasm:

The Legend of DSP

Dustin Boyd put up 53 points in 58 games...go check his AHL stats. Same for Charles Linglet, 58 points in 54 games...are you saying that they would be impact guys in the NHL? Nigel Dawes 56 points in 60 games. Stephane Dacosta 62 points in 46 games.

Yet in that same league Sekac had what 28 points in 47 games yet has big offensive potential...that's funny!

Sekac is big and skates well, the rest of his tools are all below average...shot, vision, hockey sense...that's why he struggled to produce offense, even when given prime linemates.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
Dustin Boyd put up 53 points in 58 games...go check his AHL stats. Same for Charles Linglet, 58 points in 54 games...are you saying that they would be impact guys in the NHL? Nigel Dawes 56 points in 60 games. Stephane Dacosta 62 points in 46 games.

Yet in that same league Sekac had what 28 points in 47 games yet has big offensive potential...that's funny!

Sekac is big and skates well, the rest of his tools are all below average...shot, vision, hockey sense...that's why he struggled to produce offense, even when given prime linemates.

So you're telling me it's as if every player is different and you can't just judge a player by looking at HockeyDB? I'm not the one that first compared the AHL to the KHL, you did, it's a completely bogus comparison.

DSP is heavy and skates poorly, the rest of his tools are below average... shot, vision, hockey sense... See what I'm getting at?

You think Sekac has below average hands and forechecking abilities? lol. And who are these prime linemates he played with? Prust? Weise?

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
DSP appears to have a higher ceiling. He has a track record for actually scoring at lower levels. I think if he gets in better shape next year(10lbs less), he can be a guy that can score and provide a strong physical presence.

Sekac struggles offensively and isn't particularly fond of a physical or grinding style, so where do you pit him? In the ice capades? Short track speed skating team?

*yawn* Try harder.

Sekac struggles offensively? He did outproduce your boy this year, you know. He didn't get to play with Getzlaf or Perry for extended periods of time either, as far as I know. I'm sure people have told you this already, so please bring some new material. A pretty important concept to grasp in these 'x player vs y player' debates is not to disparage one player for something the player you're supporting is even worse at. It kinda makes you look bad.

I think that if Smith-Pelly gets in great shape next year and learns to not be a bone head chasing hits 3 seconds after the puck has left the zone, he could be a decently dangerous guy too, but lack of hockey sense will always hold him back, Sekac has a hockey sense problem too, but can actually skate to make up for any dumb **** he does. When DSP ****s up, he's already out of breath and 20 feet behind the play. And he'll never be quick. Hell, he'll probably never be average in terms of speed. I'm glad he can make the boards go boom to your liking, but I can just watch old Latendresse highlights for that :dunno:

For the habs' sake, I sincerely hope DSP comes into camp in the best shape of his life, because he doesn't really have a choice. He was our worst forward for the majority of the playoffs, and if he doesn't impress early on in the season, he'll be in the pressbox or traded for another reclamation project.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
What ceiling is this?

Well, one can skate and the other can't, for one. Seeing as how skating is a pretty integral component to playing hockey..

I mean, let's break this down to help this conversation move forward, shall we? Because after reading several pages of this stuff, it's getting quite circular. If we were to compare and contrast their strengths and weaknesses, while taking surrounding context into account, which would you choose for a team moving forward?

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
*yawn* Try harder.

Sekac struggles offensively? He did outproduce your boy this year, you know. He didn't get to play with Getzlaf or Perry for extended periods of time either, as far as I know. I'm sure people have told you this already, so please bring some new material. A pretty important concept to grasp in these 'x player vs y player' debates is not to disparage one player for something the player you're supporting is even worse at. It kinda makes you look bad.

I think that if Smith-Pelly gets in great shape next year and learns to not be a bone head chasing hits 3 seconds after the puck has left the zone, he could be a decently dangerous guy too, but lack of hockey sense will always hold him back, Sekac has a hockey sense problem too, but can actually skate to make up for any dumb **** he does. When DSP ****s up, he's already out of breath and 20 feet behind the play. And he'll never be quick. Hell, he'll probably never be average in terms of speed. I'm glad he can make the boards go boom to your liking, but I can just watch old Latendresse highlights for that :dunno:

For the habs' sake, I sincerely hope DSP comes into camp in the best shape of his life, because he doesn't really have a choice. He was our worst forward for the majority of the playoffs, and if he doesn't impress early on in the season, he'll be in the pressbox or traded for another reclamation project.

If it was bone headed to hit guys 3 sec after the puck was gone do you think every coach in the NHL would demand it from his depth players?

Again, you make up facts to try and back up your opinion.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
If it was bone headed to hit guys 3 sec after the puck was gone do you think every coach in the NHL would demand it from his depth players?

Great cherry picking man, where/who are all these depth players on good teams that are "demanded" to be out of position constantly?

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City

That's your one take away ? :laugh:

And no, every coach does not demand his players to 'finish their checks' way after the puck is gone. In what way can it help, except for deliberately trying to injure other players?

I expect I'll get the 'it's to tire the opposing players out!' argument here, which, again, we've seen before. Let's be reality, who is DSP really tiring out out there? The fans can hear him huffing and puffing from the stands. If he were tiring anybody out more than himself, they'd be dead.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Well, one can skate and the other can't, for one. Seeing as how skating is a pretty integral component to playing hockey..

I mean, let's break this down to help this conversation move forward, shall we? Because after reading several pages of this stuff, it's getting quite circular. If we were to compare and contrast their strengths and weaknesses, while taking surrounding context into account, which would you choose for a team moving forward?

Skating is great, but it has to be used within the context of the game...Sekac skates circles around the ice surface without accomplishing much

But to answer your question, and I've said this before, I'm not a big fan of either player

But I'll take DSP...I don't think he's a bad skater to be honest, he needs to work on his conditioning and stamina

All in all, I don't expect either player to be a top 6 contributor. So best case scenario, I see 3rd/4th line wingers for both of them, in which case, I prefer DSP's assets to Sekac

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
That's your one take away ? :laugh:

And no, every coach does not demand his players to 'finish their checks' way after the puck is gone. In what way can it help, except for deliberately trying to injure other players?

I expect I'll get the 'it's to tire the opposing players out!' argument here, which, again, we've seen before. Let's be reality, who is DSP really tiring out out there? The fans can hear him huffing and puffing from the stands. If he were tiring anybody out more than himself, they'd be dead.

Let's be concurrent here...By the time the Habs were in the playoffs, DSP's conditioning levels were up, he wasn't as gassed at the end of his shifts anymore, he scored a big goal and contributed 3pts in the playoffs, 1 less than Tomas "I can do no wrong" Plekanec

He was actually pretty effective throughout the playoffs...

We can at least give him that

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Skating is great, but it has to be used within the context of the game...Sekac skates circles around the ice surface without accomplishing much

But to answer your question, and I've said this before, I'm not a big fan of either player

But I'll take DSP...I don't think he's a bad skater to be honest, he needs to work on his conditioning and stamina

All in all, I don't expect either player to be a top 6 contributor. So best case scenario, I see 3rd/4th line wingers for both of them, in which case, I prefer DSP's assets to Sekac

Okay, then. Now we're getting somewhere. What assets are those? He has a pretty good shot and he's heavy. What else?

Also, one thing I've noticed many people kind of brush off is that sekac will take the puck into the offensive zone and dance around with it and seemingly accomplish nothing. What many fail to realize is that that in itself is a very useful thing. Which is not to say that shots/goals/points whatever aren't important, they are, but keeping the puck away from the other team is a boon. It's very hard to get scored on when the puck is in the offensive zone. ;)

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

I agree 200%.

People see a guy that's 6'2" and skates well and think Sekac is a high skill guy...as soon as NHL d-men figured out his tendencies he barely put up any points...

First 30 games 7-7-14
Last 46 games 2-7-9

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
It couldn't be for a large chunk of those last 46 games Therrien had him on the 4th line then Anaheim had him in and out of the lineup. :sarcasm:

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Let's be concurrent here...By the time the Habs were in the playoffs, DSP's conditioning levels were up, he wasn't as gassed at the end of his shifts anymore, he scored a big goal and contributed 3pts in the playoffs, 1 less than Tomas "I can do no wrong" Plekanec

He was actually pretty effective throughout the playoffs...

We can at least give him that

DSP was downright awful in the post season. I can't honestly fathom how anyone can see otherwise. Pleks didn't have a great playoffs by any stretch of the imagination, but he also played a tougher role. That's not to excuse him, but deflecting attention on to your favorite pin-cushion isn't going to help your argument here. Not to mention that taking a points-only approach to judging a very small sample of games isn't exactly intellectually honest.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I agree 200%.

People see a guy that's 6'2" and skates well and think Sekac is a high skill guy...as soon as NHL d-men figured out his tendencies he barely put up any points...

First 30 games 7-7-14
Last 46 games 2-7-9

What's dsp's breakdown using that same logic? Or did you forget about that little tip I gave you a few posts up? :sarcasm:

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
I agree 200%.

First 30 games 7-7-14
Last 46 games 2-7-9

I don't know why you keep coming with stuff like that...

DSP:
First 37: 4-11-15
Last 37: 2-3-5

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Okay, then. Now we're getting somewhere. What assets are those? He has a pretty good shot and he's heavy. What else?

Also, one thing I've noticed many people kind of brush off is that sekac will take the puck into the offensive zone and dance around with it and seemingly accomplish nothing. What many fail to realize is that that in itself is a very useful thing. Which is not to say that shots/goals/points whatever aren't important, they are, but keeping the puck away from the other team is a boon. It's very hard to get scored on when the puck is in the offensive zone. ;)

What else? Lol I don't know if I've got much else, again, I'll repeat this for the umpteenth time, I'm not very high on either

I see 3rd/4th line for both of those players...in which case, I like for those players to be heavy and difficult to play against, I think once DSP improves his conditioning, it will help bring that part of his game out.

Don't get me wrong, there are a few elements of Sekac's game that I like as well, his skating/balance are very good, strong on the forecheck as well...

As for the rest of your post, I agree that skating is a huge part of the game, but so are being able to score in traffic and the willingless to battle in areas of the ice where it hurts (which I think Sekac has no desire to do)

So yes, skating is very important, but it doesn't diminish all the small battles that happen all over the ice that certain players are more apt to than others

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
DSP was downright awful in the post season. I can't honestly fathom how anyone can see otherwise. Pleks didn't have a great playoffs by any stretch of the imagination, but he also played a tougher role. That's not to excuse him, but deflecting attention on to your favorite pin-cushion isn't going to help your argument here. Not to mention that taking a points-only approach to judging a very small sample of games isn't exactly intellectually honest.
In your opinion he was awful...I think he did what was asked of him

I never said he was a standout but I thought his playoffs were much better than anything he showed in the regular season (which I guess isn't saying much mind you)

But I completely disagree that he was 'awful'...pretty harsh assessment

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
What else? Lol I don't know if I've got much else, again, I'll repeat this for the umpteenth time, I'm not very high on either

I see 3rd/4th line for both of those players...in which case, I like for those players to be heavy and difficult to play against, I think once DSP improves his conditioning, it will help bring that part of his game out.

Don't get me wrong, there are a few elements of Sekac's game that I like as well, his skating/balance are very good, strong on the forecheck as well...

As for the rest of your post, I agree that skating is a huge part of the game, but so are being able to score in traffic and the willingless to battle in areas of the ice where it hurts (which I think Sekac has no desire to do)

So yes, skating is very important, but it doesn't diminish all the small battles that happen all over the ice that certain players are more apt to than others

You didn't watch the Ducks vs Hawks series I'm assuming? He's a much more effective forechecker than DSP.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I don't know why you keep coming with stuff like that...

DSP:
First 37: 4-11-15
Last 37: 2-3-5

This reminds me of an debate I was having with my girlfriend about which Kardashian sister was more annoying

We both concluded they they annoy us all the same, just to slightly varying degrees lol

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
You didn't watch the Ducks vs Hawks series I'm assuming? He's a much more effective forechecker than DSP.

I just finished writing that that is one of the elements I like about Sekac's game

Meanwhile, I didn't even mention that specific part when it came to DSP

So.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad