Jiri Sekac Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
Quick, Offensive 3rd lines are becoming the norm, Hawks have Sharp-Vermette-Teravainen, Rangers have Hagelin-Hayes-St.Louis, Ducks had Beleskey-Thompson-Palmieri etc. Dawn are the days where you have Radek Bonk on a 3rd line, speed and skill kills and that's what were seeing with the Hawks and the Lightning right now. You have to be defensively reliable which DSP and Sekac both are but you also have to be able to keep up at the same time, something which DSP cannot do.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
There's no way the people who are saying that DSP brings more than Sekac actually watched the Ducks series. Sekac needs to get confidence and learn to shoot, This can be adjusted by good coaching. DSP has countless things to work on and has a terrible base right now, he's a horrible skater, has no hands and poor offensive IQ. Not to mention he's a 5 year NA pro and is still out of shape.

How many players get to the NHL...scratch that.

How many players, who have top 6 potential, get to the NHL and have to 'learn to shoot'?

Honest question?

do you have a previous example of a player who had top 6 potential, who never produced much points in his career prior to getting to the NHL...suddenly turn into a top 6 player?

NoNachoNoParty

Dec 8, 2011
Montreal
The lack of respect and patience we show as a fanbase towards one of our own is mind-boggling. The kid is 22. 22 god damn it. Some of us at his age didnt even know what we wanted to do with our lives. Let the guy grow and mature and come back better. Showing that we support him as fans can only help.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Surprised to see so many DSP defenders. Not sure what the future will bring for either player, but sekac was never as useless as DSP was for us. Hard to argue that DSP has close to the same ceiling as Sekac, either. :dunno:

What ceiling is this?

jwrocks1

Mar 28, 2015
Quick, Offensive 3rd lines are becoming the norm, Hawks have Sharp-Vermette-Teravainen, Rangers have Hagelin-Hayes-St.Louis, Ducks had Beleskey-Thompson-Palmieri etc. Dawn are the days where you have Radek Bonk on a 3rd line, speed and skill kills and that's what were seeing with the Hawks and the Lightning right now. You have to be defensively reliable which DSP and Sekac both are but you also have to be able to keep up at the same time, something which DSP cannot do.

NYR = about 11M
Chi = about 10.5 M on the 3rd line
Ana = about 5M (reasonable)

ANA did it right, how many teams can afford that kind of 3rd line? And Belesky is going to get PAID this summer, so that price tag goes up.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Sekac had potential as is evidenced by other teams bidding on his services last Summer.

Is this for real? lol...so Sekac has potential because other teams were bidding on his services last summer?

People write things like that, than ask me why I've come up with this "Jiri Sekac the legend" business lol

Manny Malhotra had teams bidding for his services last summer...does that mean he has potential too?

Several teams were in on DSP at the trade deadline, among them the Boston Bruins...does that mean he also has potential?

Or does this quirky rule only apply to Jiri Sekac?

Which means he had value.

Yes...his value rested in the fact that he was essentially, a free asset.

And what if DSP is a 4th liner and Sekac is a reliable 15-15 guy for years to come?

The goal/point total, would represent the highest goal/point total that Jiri Sekac has ever had as a professional and 2nd highest of his career since he played in the USHL.

Then it was a...bad trade with hindsight

Odds are that no one will remember either player ever playing for the Habs in 3 or 4 years from now...good thing the search function exists, i'm sure some people will be more than happy to remind others lol

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
I fully expect to see the same type of conditioning issues with Michael McCarron when he eventually turns pro. Does that also mean there's a lack of commitment by him?

If in 3 years time McCarron is badly out of shape then yes, that could mean a lack of commitment.
How many players get to the NHL...scratch that.

How many players, who have top 6 potential, get to the NHL and have to 'learn to shoot'?

Honest question?

do you have a previous example of a player who had top 6 potential, who never produced much points in his career prior to getting to the NHL...suddenly turn into a top 6 player?

I'm not arguing that he has top 6 potential here, I see him with the potential to be a good third liner that can produce 30-35 points. I'll reiterate, he put up more points than DSP in the NHL, one was a NA rookie the other is a 4 year NA pro. Sekac never got the chance to play AHL or CHL, How do you know Sekac wouldn't produce like DSP did?

"Leaning to shoot" has more to do with confidence and being comfortable more than anything.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

If in 3 years time McCarron is badly out of shape then yes, that could mean a lack of commitment.

or it could mean that he's still growing into his body and learning how rest/recover in between games and/or how to manage his energy on the ice and through an 82 game + playoff season. (which I understand, could also mean the same for Sekac...but conditioning is not an issue for him, so doesn't apply here)

I'm not arguing that he has top 6 potential here, I see him with the potential to be a good third liner that can produce 30-35 points. I'll reiterate, he put up more points than DSP in the NHL, one was a NA rookie the other is a 4 year NA pro. Sekac never got the chance to play AHL or CHL, How do you know Sekac wouldn't produce like DSP did?

He put up 3 more points than Sekac...not 30 more...but 3 more points.

As for him never getting the chance to play in the AHL or CHL...not necessarily true, he played in the CHL, but he couldn't hack it. So he went back to Europe and toiled there for a few years before finally having somewhat a breakout season (although it's really only considered a breakout cause he had literally accomplished next to nothing in comparison).

"Leaning to shoot" has more to do with confidence and being comfortable more than anything

I remember after he was signed...I think it was an article I read, where his former KHL coach was talking about him and he mentioned that one of the things that he struggles with is getting his shot off, and it's one of the things I noticed with him this year. He has a lot of trouble getting his shot off quickly and also, learning how to get into position to get his shot off.

I don't think this is something that he's going to learn...its just not part of his game.

Last edited:

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Higher ceiling=better db stats?

Like it's been said before, DSP has been struggling to produce just as much as Sekac has in the NHL. One is a rookie the other a 5 year NA pro, what do these AHL stats matter?

Sekac had no problem grinding and using his body in the Hawks series, so you're wrong there.

Yes, without a doubt. There will never be a "derby" to sign DSP lol.

Rookie doesn't matter, Sekac was plying in the KHL which is around the same caliber or higher than AHL.

DSP put up much better AHL numbers than Sekac in the KHL.

Sekac is not a grinder, he refused to do it here, that's why he wasn't scoring, he didn't go to the net. He did it a bit in the Chicago series because he just sat out about 10 straight games, probably wanted to stay in the lineup, but over the long haul he tries to be a finesse guy and fails miserably.

DSP is a power guy and he likes that role. I think in due time he can add more goals, similar to Beleskey.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
or it could mean that he's still growing into his body and learning how rest/recover in between games and/or how to manage his energy on the ice and through an 82 game + playoff season. (which I understand, could also mean the same for Sekac...but conditioning is not an issue for him, so doesn't apply here)

McCarron is 6"6 and DSP is barely 6 feet. Therrien has already said DSP is out of shape and needs to improve that facet. If by growing into his body means getting in shape and taking your career seriously then I agree.

He put up 3 more points than Sekac...not 30 more...but 3 more points.

As for him never getting the chance to play in the AHL or CHL...not necessarily true, he played in the CHL, but he couldn't hack it. So he went back to Europe and toiled there for a few years before finally having somewhat a breakout season (although it's really only considered a breakout cause he had literally accomplished next to nothing in comparison).

He put up more points than DSP in his rookie season, yet he doesn't have the same offensive upside because DSP scored more points in the Junior and in the Minor leagues, two leagues which Sekac has never even played in.

I remember after he was signed...I think it was an article I read, where his former KHL coach was talking about him and he mentioned that one of the things that he struggles with is getting his shot off, and it's one of the things I noticed with him this year. He has a lot of trouble getting his shot off quickly and also, learning how to get into position to get his shot off.

I don't think this is something that he's going to learn...its just not part of his game.

Like I said, they both have things to improve on but DSP's shortcomings outweighs Sekac's by a ton(No pun intended).

Rookie doesn't matter, Sekac was plying in the KHL which is around the same caliber or higher than AHL.

DSP put up much better AHL numbers than Sekac in the KHL.

Sekac is not a grinder, he refused to do it here, that's why he wasn't scoring, he didn't go to the net. He did it a bit in the Chicago series because he just sat out about 10 straight games, probably wanted to stay in the lineup, but over the long haul he tries to be a finesse guy and fails miserably.

DSP is a power guy and he likes that role. I think in due time he can add more goals, similar to Beleskey.

Sekac isn't a grinder you're right, we had enough of those here already, yet we decided to acquire another one in DSP. I've never seen Sekac "refuse to grind", I saw a NA rookie not being played to his strengths, go figure it didn't work out.

Kovalchuck had only 55 points in 54 games in the KHL, do you seriously think he would produce at that pace in the AHL? Kovalchuck 25g in 55 gms(KHL), DSP 27 in 55(AHL), Similar leagues so DSP must be a better scorer, eh? :sarcasm:

The Legend of DSP

Last edited by a moderator:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

McCarron is 6"6 and DSP is barely 6 feet. Therrien has already said DSP is out of shape and needs to improve that facet. If by growing into his body means getting in shape and taking your career seriously then I agree

Again...when McCarron turns pro, expect conditioning/stamina to be an issue for him the first few years of his career. It's just normal.

He put up more points than DSP in his rookie season, yet he doesn't have the same offensive upside because DSP scored more points in the Junior and in the Minor leagues, two leagues which Sekac has never even played in.

I never said that...I don't think much of either player's offensive upside.

Like I said, they both have things to improve on but DSP's shortcomings outweighs Sekac's by a ton(No pun intended).

They both have several shortcomings...

Sekac isn't a grinder you're right

Then what is he?

I've never seen Sekac "refuse to grind", I saw a NA rookie not being played to his strengths, go figure it didn't work out.

“It was hard,†Czech Republic native said when asked about making the adjustment to a more defensive style. “I was playing as a defensive forward. I was out there playing on defensive faceoffs and it doesn’t seem like it, but that sucks a lot of energy out of you and you have nothing left for offence.

“It wasn’t all bad (but) I’m not a huge defensive player and I couldn’t play like I wanted to play. I never got a chance to prove what I can do. That’s probably the biggest reason it didn’t work out.â€

I'll let you guess who made those comments...

Edit - to address this anonymous player's comments lo...he specifically states he's not a defensive player and didn't like being used for defensive zone faceofs.

So he's not a defensive player, he's clearly not an offensive player either...so again I ask, what the hell is he???

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
And my point was that, the way some people have gone on around here, he was the greatest thing since sliced bread, that MB should be dragged out of his office and catapulted over the St-Laurence because of "the trade". All for a player who may turn into a good 3rd line guy....maybe.

Don't confuse your own interpretation of what people are saying as the truth.
I was disappointed with the trade, even more so after watching DSP play with us. I think Bergevin screwed up with that trade. In no way does it mean I think Sekac was the messiah.
actually, if Sekac ends up a bust and leaves for europe, and we got a 4th liner out of it. that actually means it would be a good deal in hindsight. But right now, it's a wash, because let's be honest. There was no way MT would use Sekac in a top 6 role in the playoffs..."da syztem"

It's not because Sekac goes back to Europe that he wouldn't be better than DSP here or that he would have went back had we kept him.

Why does it matter when a player had his rookie season exactly? DSP was rushed into the NHL and it severely hurt his development. I would say the fact that he was rushed into the NHL means we should have more patience with him, not less.

Also, the Habs are only sorely lacking skills in the top six, where Sekac hasn't shown he can play for more than a couple of games at a time. Right now I am happy with this trade, because in my opinion we need more players like DSP than we do players like Sekac, especially when you take a look at our prospects.

We have Dale Weise playing on top 6 but yes, we need more prospects of grinder level than skills.

It matters when because that's how long he's had to adapt.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
Again...when McCarron turns pro, expect conditioning/stamina to be an issue for him the first few years of his career. It's just normal.

You seem to pretty much read what you want to read then repeat yourself.
I never said that...I don't think much of either player's offensive upside.

So what's with all this "Sekac has never produced anywhere" "DSP has shown it in the past" talk?

Then what is he?

Is every 25-30 point, 3rd-4th liner and grinder? He's more of a speedy energy line player than a grinder. However, I might have a different definition of a grinder than you.

Cool, where did he say "he refuses to grind"

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Then what is he?

“It was hard,†Czech Republic native said when asked about making the adjustment to a more defensive style. “I was playing as a defensive forward. I was out there playing on defensive faceoffs and it doesn’t seem like it, but that sucks a lot of energy out of you and you have nothing left for offence.

“It wasn’t all bad (but) I’m not a huge defensive player and I couldn’t play like I wanted to play. I never got a chance to prove what I can do. That’s probably the biggest reason it didn’t work out.â€

Edit - to address this anonymous player's comments lo...he specifically states he's not a defensive player and didn't like being used for defensive zone faceofs.

So he's not a defensive player, he's clearly not an offensive player either...so again I ask, what the hell is he???

Nice strawman here.

You take an answer and run with it, completely ignoring the question asked.

The question was related to his offensive drought (roughly his last 20 games with MTL) btw.

"It doesn't seem like that, but it sucks a lot of energy out of you. When you want to put some energy into the offense, you just don't have any left. It's just harder to play in Montreal because the team is very defensive. It's just the way they play."

I guess if things doesn't pan out for Sekac in the NHL, he could get a role in Minority Report II, because the kid can see the future. :laugh:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

You seem to pretty much read what you want to read then repeat yourself.

Ok sure...

So what's with all this "Sekac has never produced anywhere" "DSP has shown it in the past" talk?

Actuals & Factuals...

Is every 25-30 point, 3rd-4th liner and grinder? He's more of a speedy energy line player than a grinder. However, I might have a different definition of a grinder than you.

Ok fair enough...if you're telling me that you think Jiri Sekac can be a 25-30 energy line player? Then I'd say, if it all works out well for him, i'd agree with that assessment.

Then again, I'd say the same about DSP...

Cool, where did he say "he refuses to grind

Is this a joke? Or are you being serious? Did you read that quote?

Nice strawman here.

You take an answer and run with it, completely ignoring the question asked.

The question was related to his offensive drought (roughly his last 20 games with MTL) btw.

"It doesn't seem like that, but it sucks a lot of energy out of you. When you want to put some energy into the offense, you just don't have any left. It's just harder to play in Montreal because the team is very defensive. It's just the way they play."

I guess if things doesn't pan out for Sekac in the NHL, he could get a role in Minority Report II, because the kid can see the future. :laugh:

The hell you talking about?

I posted that quote, which is verbatim by the way, in response to a poster who claimed that Sekac 'never refused to grind'.

Those comments CLEARLY indicate a player who wasn't willing/comfortable with playing a defensive/grinding role with the Habs, clearly he thinks that he's an offensive player and should be used in offensive roles.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
Ok fair enough...if you're telling me that you think Jiri Sekac can be a 25-30 energy line player? Then I'd say, if it all works out well for him, i'd agree with that assessment.

Then again, I'd say the same about DSP...

Yup, but we're more in need of a speedy forward with decent skill than someone who is slow and can hit.

Is this a joke? Or are you being serious? Did you read that quote?

Is this a joke? The guy said he was played in a defensive role and that he wasn't used to it. Sekac never said "trade me peasant, I only play offence", He's a rookie that tried his best in a spot that was unfamiliar with him.

AnotherHabsFan

Behind Enemy Lines
Jan 16, 2015
New Hampshire
Why do we still talk about this guy? He isn't coming back and its not like he is some sort or legend. Let's move on and talk about players who's rights we actually own.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I'm well aware of how old Sekac is, I was referring to him being a late bloomer when he's 24-25-26, a few years from now.

Also, i'm assuming you're referring to Rene Bourque when speaking about one of his linemates that was sent through waivers and down to the minors??

What's the relevance here??
A rookie prospect coming from the big ice surface who's more of an offensive player was used on a third line that got little offensive opportunities and also had one of the worst players in the NHL on it. You don't see a relevance in linemates and usage when discussing the performance of a rookie prospect?? Really?
Sekac should enough interesting things given his usage/experience/coming from europe to be viewed in a satisfied eye.
Yet you keep trying to paint him as a nothing player, and again, this without mentioning context.

It's not that i'm willing to be more patient with DSP...I've said it several times, i'm not enamoured with either of them. If forced to choose, i'd prefer DSP...but since no gun is being held to my head....

Also, how has DSP been 'in and out' of the NHL for the last 4 years??? If you're referring to him being shuttled back and forth between the AHL and NHL for the last 3-4 years, then i'd ask you...I guess that means you're ready to throw in the towel on Nathan Beaulieu? Or Jared Tinordi? Or perhaps you thought Max Pacioretty was a but when he was going through the same thing?
I never said DSP is a bust. I said he was introduced to the NHL game 4 seasons ago where he played a lot of hockey. That's the time frame he's had to adapt to this game. Yes, he was young, and it's not over for him, but Sekac played his first season in the NHL. So ya, I'll be more patient with the guy who just went through his first season.
Beaulieu and Tinordi almost combined for less games played than DSP had just in his rookie year. Not a comparable curve.
Also, some will argue Beaulieu and Tinordi should have been used as regular NHLers as early as last season. I think midway through last year, Beaulieu should have been here. Tinordi is debatable.
Pacioretty had his breakout year in his 3rd season.

I think you're only choosing DSP because you don't like the stance many posters had here about the trade. It's been your main reason for your posts in this thread.
That is not my belief whatsoever...you've interpreted and over-simplified what I said about undrafted euro free agents. I've said it SEVERAL times, I think Sekac can be a solid 3rd or 4th line player in the NHL, what i'm arguing here is that he has top 6 potential. I don't believe he does, and I don't believe he's adaptable enough to learn how to play in the NHL as a 3rd or 4th line forward, in a defensive role, since he himself has indicated that it's not a role that he's willing to play.
Having potential doesn't mean you'll actually live up to it. He skates well, is good at board battles and protecting the puck, he has a good shot, can make a decent pass. There's no reason to suggest he doesn't have top 6 potential. A guy like JDR, he hasn't shown anything offensively, it would make sense to say he doesn't have that potential. But Sekac?? He's definitely shown enough things to say he's got some potential. Maybe well unlikely to be reached, but he still has it.

At this point in their careers, Dale Weise is a much more effective player than Jiri Sekac is. Not sure how anyone can argue against that. I mean, skills vs. skill...it's not a contest, but as previously mentioned, there's more to hockey than just skating fast...
More effective? That is only relative to your expectations.
That's ridiculous...some things just can't be learned or improved on. He's not a scorer, he never has been, at any level. You saying that he's a rookie he can improve in that department is as logical as me saying that Gabriel Dumont should be given more opportunities in the top 6 because he's a rookie too and can improve.
He doesn't need to be a top goal scorer. He put up 11g 28pts in 47gp in the KHL where scoring is much lower if I recall correctly. This year with us, he scored 7g 16pts in 50gp as a rookie coming from europe. I see no reason to say he couldn't put up 15ish goals over a full season under better circumstances.
It doesn't mean he would, but it's worth trying.
Let's forget that for about the 100th time, i'm saying that I have no desire to compare DSP and Sekac, they're both fringe NHL players if you ask me...but i'll entertain this thought for a bit.

4 years ago, at the age of 19yrs old...DSP made his NHL debut and had 7 goals in 49 games...

Perhaps you can take a look at where Jiri Sekac was 4 years ago?(if you're interested in playing this ridiculous comparison game).

If we're to compare both of their careers as pros...it's not even close in terms of who has shown more actual potential at this point. When it comes to the NHL, neither has really been able to establish himself, DSP just made the NHL at a younger age.

Yes, the point is to show that DSP made the NHL at a younger age, which means he's had more time to actually cling on to the league and adapt. He had a taste early on, he knew what to expect. Sekac got a taste this year. Going into the summer, he'll know what to expect next season. It's entirely up to him to decide how to prepare for that.
If that statement is true, then how can you say the trade was a 'pretty stupid decision'? Seems that statement is at odds with what you just wrote
Because one plays like a grinder although not a very good one seeing how he's late on his checks, the other plays more like a skilled player, and we need more skills not less. Seems rather logical to me which one to keep.
Who knows? Time will tell I guess, we are no closer to a conclusion on that question today as we were when the trade was completed.

For the record, I think Sekac's 'skill' is quite exaggerated around here...but that's just my opinion, which last time I checked, I was allowed to have :)
Of course you do. You think people here believe Sekac would turn into a 25-30g scorer. I would think the same thing as you, except that's not what people are saying at all. Just that as a rookie coming from Europe and being used as he was here, he showed enough to be deemed an interesting prospect, and trading him away when we lack skill for another grinder type of player just seems entirely pointless and stupid.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
The hell you talking about?

I posted that quote, which is verbatim by the way, in response to a poster who claimed that Sekac 'never refused to grind'.

Those comments CLEARLY indicate a player who wasn't willing/comfortable with playing a defensive/grinding role with the Habs, clearly he thinks that he's an offensive player and should be used in offensive roles.

An unaltered quote used out of context is just as bad as an altered one.
And your whole argument is based on that. :shakehead

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Why do we still talk about this guy? He isn't coming back and its not like he is some sort or legend. Let's move on and talk about players who's rights we actually own.

It's summer man, season's over. Is this your first year on the board? It's always like that.

EDIT: It is your first year. My bad. :laugh: But now you know, welcome to the summer HFboards!

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Yup, but we're more in need of a speedy forward with decent skill than someone who is slow and can hit.

I think we're not lacking in terms of speedy forwards with decent skill...

what we're lacking is forwards who can put the puck in the net, neither of these 2 players address either of those requirements.

Is this a joke? The guy said he was played in a defensive role and that he wasn't used to it. Sekac never said "trade me peasant, I only play offence", He's a rookie that tried his best in a spot that was unfamiliar with him

lol I never said, that he said this...i'll repeat this ONCE AGAIN

I posted that in response to a poster who claimed that Sekac 'never refused to grind

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Hey mods, can you guys please close that one down? For good?

I say that because just the title makes us look like a bunch of morons to any non-Habs fan that comes in to glance at what is happening in Habs land.

I know, I know, not much is happening anyways. But the "Jiri Sekac appreciation thread..." :propeller

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
An unaltered quote used out of context is just as bad as an altered one.And your whole argument is based on that. :shakehead

Are you ok? Are you have trouble following?

Let's try this, one more time

Another poster made a comment in which he said the following statement

"Sekac never refused to grind"

I then posted a quote, from Jiri Sekac himself, i'll post it again, since it seems you're having trouble following

It was hard,†Czech Republic native said when asked about making the adjustment to a more defensive style. “I was playing as a defensive forward. I was out there playing on defensive faceoffs and it doesn’t seem like it, but that sucks a lot of energy out of you and you have nothing left for offence.

So I ask...how is that quote 'out of context'???

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
I think we're not lacking in terms of speedy forwards with decent skill...

what we're lacking is forwards who can put the puck in the net, neither of these 2 players address either of those requirements.

Yes we're lacking players that can score, but that's not the point.

We're also lacking guys who have speed that can actually carry a puck and control it, something Sekac can do that DSP can't. Who can carry a puck on this squad? Eller, Galchenyuk when he's at center, Subban before Therrien told him not too... Pretty much it. Who are these speedy forwards with skill that we have in such great quantity? Please don't say DLR and Weise.

Of course Sekac isn't the answer to all our woes, but imo he's way better for a third line in today's NHL than DSP.

lol I never said, that he said this...i'll repeat this ONCE AGAIN

I posted that in response to a poster who claimed that Sekac 'never refused to grind

Lol, where did Sekac say he REFUSED to play in a defensive role? Where?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad